HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This little item is from Huddle:

$30M Residential Real Estate Project Underway In Lewisville Area of Moncton: Birch Meadows
https://huddle.today/30m-residential...0d7SbcsJO3nKew

I recall this project coming up before PAC some months ago for rezoning, but there were no detailed renderings at the time. This will be located just north of Veterans Highway, off of Highlandview Drive, close to Lewisville Middle School. This looks to be an excellent project!!

Link to website:
http://laffordrealty.com/birch-meadows/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

That's a lot of bricks.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post

That's a lot of bricks.
Literally thought the same things, lol.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post

That's a lot of bricks.
At least it's not vinyl!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Councilor Greg Turner, in his FB page just congratulated Lafford Realty for this significant ($30M) investment in Moncton East.

At the same time he said he was very pleased with Lafford also potentially being interested in a "major" downtown development as well. I wonder what's up with that? Does anyone have any ideas??

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Councilor Greg Turner, in his FB page just congratulated Lafford Realty for this significant ($30M) investment in Moncton East.

At the same time he said he was very pleased with Lafford also potentially being interested in a "major" downtown development as well. I wonder what's up with that? Does anyone have any ideas??
Be great if it was the Harper property! I wonder if Mr. Lafford drives a black pick-up truck.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Be great if it was the Harper property! I wonder if Mr. Lafford drives a black pick-up truck.
Black Ford F150's are probably the most common vehicles in Moncton.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the City of Moncton FB page:

Quote:
Construction at Irishtown Nature Park will result in trail closures beginning tomorrow, August 4, and last until the end of September.

A portion of Bouctouche Line Trail will be closed to allow for the replacement of the bridge over the Reservoir and to upgrade the causeway on both ends of the bridge.
Given the nature of the project, additional portions of the Bouctouche Line Trail will also be temporary closed between August 4 and September 30. This is to allow crews to transport materials and machinery along the trail from the entrance on Caledonia Road. When these additional closures are required, the Spillway and Forêt Acadienne Trails will also be closed to ensure crews have access to the construction site.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Updated site plan & render for Hospice Greater Moncton:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

355 McLaughlin Drive:

Quote:
CASTLEMOUNT PROPERTIES INC. 355 prom. McLaughlin Drive, (PID/NID 70586714) a conditional use applications to allow more than one main building on a lot and to allow a multiple unit residential building in an R3 zone subject to terms and conditions
Location Map:

Site Plan:

Elevation:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

MAC Residential Properties:

Quote:
Nara Construction on behalf of/au nom de MAC Residential Inc, rues Weston and/et Clover Streets (PID/NID 70528450) a conditional use application to allow a multiple unit residential building in an R3 zone subject to terms and conditions
Location Map:

Site Plan:

Elevation:

Render:

Comment - This is a very high profile bit of land, located just off of Harrisville Blvd, just to the south of the CNR mainline, and adjacent to the eastern terminus of the Humphrey Brook Trail. As you can see from the site plan, this will be the first of two planned buildings in this development.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:22 AM

Are people really complaining that Birch Meadows is using lots of bricks. Like for real?

Looks like a quality project and looks awesome!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 1:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The short lived pharmacy at McLaughlin Place has been gutted, and plans seem to show it being subdivided into five smaller CRUs. One of the units appears to be in the process of being converted into a laundromat. A good idea given the large nearby student population.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 11:34 AM

A new laundromat there would be good for that area since the one that was by the igloo closed. A few years ago.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, this is interesting.......

Moncton wanted a new neighbourhood behind Robert Irving's stables. Then he bought the land
City planned new parks, streets, homes and apartment buildings estimated to generate millions in tax revenue
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Aug 18, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...hood-1.5689076

So, it appears the city's plan for a whole new neighbourhood south of Humphrey Brook is off the table.

The CBC has not come out and said it, but the intimation is that Irving bought the land to protect his stables and for privacy purposes. The land that he bought amounts to at least 50% of the area of the Humphrey Brook Plan.

Irving was certainly in his right to purchase this land. There is nothing here that appears shady, and no zoning issues are being raised. I think a question should be asked why the city spent so much money developing a plan for this area when the local landowners and developers apparently were not fully on board with the concept. Another point is that Ecole Champlain was relocated to this area in part because of the anticipated development of this new neighbourhood. Overall, this is an example of a misfire on the part of the city's planning department.

Make no mistake, the plan they came up with was visionary, they just didn't seem to take into account that the land could be sold from under them and that all their efforts could come to naught.........

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, this is interesting.......

Moncton wanted a new neighbourhood behind Robert Irving's stables. Then he bought the land
City planned new parks, streets, homes and apartment buildings estimated to generate millions in tax revenue
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Aug 18, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...hood-1.5689076

So, it appears the city's plan for a whole new neighbourhood south of Humphrey Brook is off the table.
Interesting. When I look at the provincial assessment database for the property where the stables are, and what appears to be a new large home, the tool says it is not a valid property. Since I am originally from the SJ area, let me just say it doesn't surprise me.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 8:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Now that the paving is finished on price Street, things may be going to pick up at the Moncton East Business Park

The map above seems to indicate that virtually all the lots backing on the TCH have sold. I drove through there today, and I can confirm there are a number of "sold" signs up on some of these lots. In addition, there is a large lot next to the Mapleton Pharmacy building which has a Bird Construction sign on it. It has been cleared and is festooned with survey markers. I would say construction is imminent.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:35 AM

You almost have to wonder if the CBC didn't do that on purpose to Irving. I'd say most of us had no idea he lives there and now we all do so no doubt the traffic on that road will go up exponentially with rubber neckers.

What's funny is it looks like he bought 302 Storey Rd. and tore it down since the value went from 500k to vacant land. I also notice that PAOL show his house (where as gehrhardt mention you can't click) as a green space but on both Bing and Google maps there is a giant mansion under construction.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

My take on the matter is that certain SJWs at the CBC thought they had a scoop on yet another shining example of the perfidious one percenters, denying an entire Moncton neighbourhood from being built by greedily snapping up all the land to protect their sensitive horses.

Surprisingly, judging from the responses I have seen on the CBC comment section, and on social media (Facebook), the overall opinion seems to be "so what, they're rich, they can afford to do this, if they want to spend their money this way then who cares."

As for the new mansion on a portion of this land, I've heard this belongs to Robert's sister, Mary Jean Irving. Formerly she had one of the largest houses in the Brighton neighbourhood of Charlottetown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:00 AM

As a former voracious consumer of news, I've never known the Moncton or NB CBC to overlook an opportunity to take a big crap on an Irving.
The story reeks of a failed attempt to make it look like Robert did a bad thing.
"Extra! Extra! Rich guy buys properties four and a half years ago from another rich guy!"
Stories like this are why I'm a "former" varacious consumer of news.
There are legitimate reasons to not like the Irvings. This isn't one of them.
CBC local news has been improving steadily over the past few years, just my opinion of course. This nonsense casts a pall over all that past good work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces