HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's nice to have the restaurants, but I sort of would prefer to see a mix of other retail as well.
Aren't they going to have that with the other 7 or 8 story building being built nearby? That's my understanding at least that it will have more than just restaurants and bars.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:52 PM

[QUOTE=the urban politician;7561011]It's nice to have the restaurants, but I sort of would prefer to see a mix of other retail as well.[/QUO

Not only retail, but other entertainment options as well. I Dont see this happening anytime soon, but they should get rid of sluggers and build one of those virtual driving ranges like Fairways and another brooklyn bowl or something of that sort. Those places would make a killing if they went up in that area. Even in winter time. For the amount of birthday and bachelor parties Iv'e been to in wrigleyville it would be a nice change of pace and would keep money flowing for that area year round. They already have the movie theater planned, so why not.

http://fairwayschicago.com/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:27 PM

Since it's Wrigley, how about virtual batting cages instead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4aUmBGlV8

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:31 PM
TL;DR

Very nice. If I had to guess, the new design looks like Hartshorne Plunkard. Amazing improvement.

Now, just wait for the bitchfest about how it doesn't fit the neighborhood character...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 6:38 PM

Love the new design!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 8:46 PM

A rendering of the lobby, also from DNAInfo

That's going to be a lot of energy there on the street, before games, after games, for concerts, with those 2nd floor balconies. When my son's a bit older, I'm staying there for a game.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 11:06 PM
You had me at herro...

I live just around the corner from Wrigley, I took a few shots today walking around. The first few are along Clark where everything has come down, the last one is a shot of the new office building directly from the west.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 11:07 PM
You had me at herro...

I hope they put some TREES along Clark or Addison. I'm a huge tree fan and that whole area is quite the "dead" zone. I understand they need room for crowd control of course. The sidewalks along both Addison and Clark are MUCH too small. Especially Clark, i'm surprised at some point over the past few decades Clark hasn't been rebuilt with larger sidewalks. It's an awfully wide street for 2 lanes.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:03 AM

I think this design would be sexy anywhere else, but does it really fit with the ethos of Cubs fans or a lazy afternoon at a slow ballgame or the quintessential Wrigleyville experience (e.g. getting lost meandering in a hodgepodge of diverse establishments, people, and minor chaos, and the serendipitous happenings that ensue)? Even though elegant, this is kind of too corporate, monotonous, regimented, orderly. (I guess that means it feels like more of a football hotel than a baseball hotel?) In order to end up being a positive it will have to redefine the Wrigleyville experience in some elevated or forward way, distinguishing it more from the main drag of a college burg. I hope that happens successfully, and it certainly might, but at present I'm not really seeing how these near opposites are reconciled. Obviously the developments south of Addison have to be taken into consideration too.

One specific question: Is the corner being held by the oval in this render? That could inject a lot of energy into the intersection. I wonder if there is a render of that elevation.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
.g. getting lost meandering in a hodgepodge of diverse establishments, people, and minor chaos, and the serendipitous happenings that ensue)
First, I'm going to cite what this replaced. Second, it's directly across from Wrigley, walling it in, not blocks away. A monolithic form can stand a counterpart. Third, it's not going to be just sorority girls lined up out front. It may be some nights. Others it will be concert fans and cubs fans. Third, space is space. Diversity comes with age. This will age fine.

And yes, the oval meets the corner. Gives room for crowds there, gives a bit of plaza.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post

Hm hopefully that plaza will end up better than this

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I think this design would be sexy anywhere else, but does it really fit with the ethos of Cubs fans or a lazy afternoon at a slow ballgame or the quintessential Wrigleyville experience (e.g. getting lost meandering in a hodgepodge of diverse establishments, people, and minor chaos, and the serendipitous happenings that ensue)? Even though elegant, this is kind of too corporate, monotonous, regimented, orderly. (I guess that means it feels like more of a football hotel than a baseball hotel?) In order to end up being a positive it will have to redefine the Wrigleyville experience in some elevated or forward way, distinguishing it more from the main drag of a college burg. I hope that happens successfully, and it certainly might, but at present I'm not really seeing how these near opposites are reconciled. Obviously the developments south of Addison have to be taken into consideration too.

One specific question: Is the corner being held by the oval in this render? That could inject a lot of energy into the intersection. I wonder if there is a render of that elevation.

This hotel is replacing a McDonalds and Surface lot, literally anything is better and will enhance whatever experience drunk cubs fans are looking for. Secondly, Baseball is a business, and the Cubs are one of the biggest businesses in the game, any nostalgia for a simpler time, is pure fantasy. Lastly, as a resident of the neighborhood, I could give a rats ass what suburban Cubs fans want in my neighborhood, this Hotel looks great and will be great for the area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:43 PM
The City

I don't think anybody can really predict how these developments will change the dynamic of the area until the dust settles on all the construction. But I think it's safe to say that some things will be lost, some things will be gained. But having a hotel up here makes total sense, and probably needed to happen years ago. I have long advocated for more neighborhood hotels. Out of towners need to see Chicago's beautiful neighborhoods instead of just Navy Pier, Mag Mile, and Millennium Park. Plus neighborhood businesses could always use the injection of visitors' money.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:07 PM

Agreed, but at the same time I have had out of town friends from Miami and Kansas city visit this year. Brought them both to Cubs games and both told me there would be no chance in hell they would stay at this hotel just for the fact how big in a pain in the ass it will be to grab a cab. They said they would rather stay downtown to be closer to the rest of the "scene". That being said I'd imagine majority of the guests at this hotel will be be staying for ball games, concerts, street fairs, ect

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:13 PM

I'll make a prediction right now, this will totally change the experience of going to a Cubs game for the better. Everything about this area of town is going to improve. The dives and other businesses will simply move another block further up and down Clark revitalizing the area even further. The party will be 50% more intense. Hopefully this new nexus will be fully formed in time for major national (and international) air time when the Cubs finally win their first Series in a century plus.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Agreed, but at the same time I have had out of town friends from Miami and Kansas city visit this year. Brought them both to Cubs games and both told me there would be no chance in hell they would stay at this hotel just for the fact how big in a pain in the ass it will be to grab a cab. They said they would rather stay downtown to be closer to the rest of the "scene". That being said I'd imagine majority of the guests at this hotel will be be staying for ball games, concerts, street fairs, ect
No offense to your friends, but they clearly don't have a clue about Chicago. It's not hard to get a roaming cab in many of the closer in north lakefront hoods, and plus you've got the L nearby. And let's not forget Uber. This perception is exactly what I'm talking about, and has to change. Chicago is way more than its downtown, and it needs to open that up to the world. More hotels is a natural start.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
Hm hopefully that plaza will end up better than this
The plaza on the right side of the pic (next to the park) is not finished.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
I think it's time for new friends. It's 2016, who hails a cab in any city anymore. Use Uber to get your Taxi like everyone else.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I think it's time for new friends. It's 2016, who hails a cab in any city anymore. Use Uber to get your Taxi like everyone else.
Not to get into a big discussion here, but when your phone is out of battery, then you go for a cab. Regardless though, it's not that hard - I mean to be honest, they could just walk over to Halsted or Broadway or something and get a cab way easier if they were having trouble. Anybody who's familiar with cities like a Chicago or NYC would know how to change positions in a situation like that to get a cab.

It's not that hard though - we should stick them in some parts of Manhattan at certain times and see how they like it. It's funny though how people can't use Uber - even considering in a city like Chicago you can literally hail a cab with Uber or you can download a few other apps to do it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:32 PM

I'm a little surprised that anyone thinks the hotel is a bad idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development