HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:36 PM

3 phase transportation improvements planned for airport to UBCO corridor, mostly road improvements with some active transportation improvements. Notably, extension of HollyRoad North, building a frontage road east of Hwy 97, and a diamond interchange at the airport. Also noted was the tripling of transit capacity to UBCO in 20 years. I can't find this plan on City of Kelowna's website.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...0-years#306413

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:09 PM
be nice to the crackheads

[QUOTE=Homerbush;8993923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Here is the website, it has a couple renderings on it. Thanks for the tip! http://solerutland.com/sole-rutland-photo-gallery/
Thanks. It doesn't look too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Looks like you were driving up in my neck of the woods.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
3 phase transportation improvements planned for airport to UBCO corridor, mostly road improvements with some active transportation improvements. Notably, extension of HollyRoad North, building a frontage road east of Hwy 97, and a diamond interchange at the airport. Also noted was the tripling of transit capacity to UBCO in 20 years. I can't find this plan on City of Kelowna's website.

Looks as if they will also upgrade the UBC access into an interchange as well.

Why does it need to be phased?

Is the city paying for this? One would think it would be the province footing the bill.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Looks as if they will also upgrade the UBC access into an interchange as well.

Why does it need to be phased?

Is the city paying for this? One would think it would be the province footing the bill.
I think the airport and the province are sharing the cost of the YLW interchange, which wasn't slated to start construction until 2025 but we'll see if airport traffic recovers let alone increases towards projected levels that warrants an interchange.

The modification of the existing UBCO interchange is out of the province's scope as it's all local connections. The closure of the left turn onto Hwy 97 north from UBCO is an odd one though. I'm guessing the province wants that traffic funneled to the new airport interchange.

I wish I could find where this came from so I can read more about their intentions.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

Looks like you were driving up in my neck of the woods.
Up at Tantalus, the view was great

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
The modification of the existing UBCO interchange is out of the province's scope as it's all local connections. The closure of the left turn onto Hwy 97 north from UBCO is an odd one though. I'm guessing the province wants that traffic funneled to the new airport interchange.
I think a planned removal of that turning lane/traffic light between airport way and UBCO overpass is long overdue. A proper interchange negates the reason for a traffic light 500m down the highway. That light should never have been there in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
I think a planned removal of that turning lane/traffic light between airport way and UBCO overpass is long overdue. A proper interchange negates the reason for a traffic light 500m down the highway. That light should never have been there in the first place.
That's true. It's really not a high traffic movement anyway. I wonder how many people have switched from Hwy 97 to John Hindle Drive? I personaly avoid Hwy 97/Harvey Ave whenever I can.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Up at Tantalus, the view was great
Cool. I grew up about five minutes away from Tantalus in Crawford Estates.

It's always fun to see tourists, sometimes lost, driving around the upper Mission. It's still a relatively new phenomenon to have so many tourists around. When it was mostly orchards up here, we rarely got visitors. Apples don't bring them out like grapes do.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I think the airport and the province are sharing the cost of the YLW interchange, which wasn't slated to start construction until 2025 but we'll see if airport traffic recovers let alone increases towards projected levels that warrants an interchange.

I wish I could find where this came from so I can read more about their intentions.
Well, I think that it is relatively safe to say that after this pandemic passes, as all do, that air traffic in Kelowna will rebound and grow once again, especially with the population of the city continuing to grow, so in the mid to long term, that shouldn’t be a concern.

In fact, I see it as the complete opposite, right now is the perfect opportunity to build the interchange while traffic volumes are essentially artificially slashed by a very unique circumstance. Would cause far less traffic disruption. Rather than waiting for things to return to normal in a few years or so and then disrupt traffic to construct an interchange.

The simple diamond proposed also shows how less ambitious infrastructure is in Canada than other developed nations. At the very least it should also include a flyover from the airport to 97 south bound.

At the same time highway 97 should be expanded to 6 lanes up to the airport (the third lane each direction could be bus and HOV).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:33 AM

Since we're currently on the 97 corridor upgrades, I came across the preliminary infrastructure planning study for the improvements of the Glenmore road intersection in Winfield. Totally forgot about this.

Their assessment found that the existing intersection cannot support any future upgrades or volume (even if improved), so here are some alternative options the ministry came up with that include rerouting the connection.

Sorry about the quality, these are screenshots. The article provides the full presentation
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...7-intersection

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:07 AM

That’s been posted before, but really hope they go with A2 or A3.

A1 is a terrible design.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
Kelowna has 3.9 million sq ft of office space. The landmark district represents 700k sq ft. Landmark 7 is adding 200k to this but there are also new projects downtown (80k sq ft bernard block, the wedge, ubco downtown).

Walk around downtown kelowna, there is office space but they are mostly 2-6 floor lowrises. Not the same scale as landmark 6 and 7
You're right but I don't understand how that's possible since every office mid-rise and high-rise in Kelowna is in the Landmark district with no office buildings downtown

Glad to see Kelowna finally figuring out where it's downtown is, now if only they hadn't put the business district a mile and a half from downtown it would look even better

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:22 AM

What are the prospects of the Tolko site being redeveloped in the mid term? It would complete opening up. The waterfront from the bridge hopefully to Knox

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
What are the prospects of the Tolko site being redeveloped in the mid term? It would complete opening up. The waterfront from the bridge hopefully to Knox
Highly unlikely. 10 years at least I'd say.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:17 AM

Didn’t grab a picture but glass is going in on the first floor of Brooklyn above the podium

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 5:58 PM

Although the design of the building is not finalized yet, things are moving fast on the Mission Group/UBC redevelopment of the former Daily Courier site.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:

It's from the Okanagan Gateway Transportation Study: https://kelownapublishing.escribemee...cumentId=28381

A few other maps and charts that I'm too lazy to screencap.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
It's from the Okanagan Gateway Transportation Study: https://kelownapublishing.escribemee...cumentId=28381

A few other maps and charts that I'm too lazy to screencap.
That's perfect, thank you!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrescata View Post
Didn’t grab a picture but glass is going in on the first floor of Brooklyn above the podium
Edit: one more shot from different vantage point.

Unfortunately you can barely see the glass from this vantage point but here is the photo anyway.

Last edited by Homerbush; Aug 7, 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 8:20 AM

It's growing like a weed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia