HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:44 AM
Skyriser

^ I don't believe there have been any official dates put out yet. All I know is that it's this month.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:27 AM

Referring to the bookstore(s), Changing Hands would be an amazing addition, Barnes & Noble would also be good(Borders would be better!). And Joe Sixpack doesn't read anything other than USA Today and Car & Driver, and Westgate is as much downtown as he'll ever desire anyway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:55 PM
Dbacks baby!

Question about Cityscape

Im posting my question here even though partly my question is directed at PHX PD post and response one of my posts in the CPE thread. This is more appropriate because the CPE thread was getting way off topic I think.

Question: So what part of Cityscape is supposed to reach 510'...i was under the impression that it was going to be the hotel condo tower. Or please dont tell me that its been scaled back already, and we are going to have to wait another 20 years for something to be taller than Chase Tower

Sorry if I have misunderstood the hotel condo tower part of it.

I was really under the strongest impression that the first 2 towers were a office tower and a hotel condo tower to be built in the middle block

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:59 PM
Skyriser

On block 22, the middle block, the south tower is residential at 525'. The office tower is north on the same block and is 385'. Both these figures are from Phoenix's Development Services Department. Both towers will be under construction at once.

That would leave the hotel-condo tower for the eastern block along with a residential/multiuse tower.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:03 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
On block 22, the middle block, the south tower is residential at 525'. The office tower is north on the same block and is 385'. Both these figures are from Phoenix's Development Services Department. Both towers will be under construction at once.

That would leave the hotel-condo tower for the eastern block along with a residential/multiuse tower.
Right on! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Actually the middle block will have a 510' tower (according to FAA, which I would take as more accurate) and a 375' tower. The 510' will be a hotel/residential mix and the 375' is all office.

Unless plans change in the future, there will be no other hotel.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 6:35 PM
Skyriser

I'd take DSD's opinion--they're the ones with the building plans and they interpreted that height off what they received, where as I think the FAA obstruction app is just what's on the form.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:44 PM

Yea but if the FAA only gives clearance to what is on the form, how would they be able to build higher?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 9:03 PM

HX Guy from what I understand the FAA can label a development above their height recommendations as a hazard but don't have any real power to prevent it from being built. However from what I also recall Phoenix has stated that they will stick FAA recommendations so it may be mute point.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 9:06 PM

There could be some structural aspect of the building that the FAA doesn't consider a threat. Such as an antennae or something of that nature. Who knows. Kind of annoying overall though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:42 PM

any info on who will have their name on the office tower??

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:54 PM

My ex works for Wells Fargo downtown, apparently they are totally short on space down there, seems like a good fit to have them in AZ's highest tower. Apparently they are trying to lessen the need for these large campus complexes like out in Chandler, so who knows?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:01 AM

"Undecentralizing" would have a huge impact on downtown, especially for us skyscraper junkies, if this is true (and a widespread theme among large business that have downtown space as well as suburban office park space). If big businesses are truly interested in occupying additional space in the downtown core, (not Camelback and not midtown) it would be bigger than ASU, bigger than the biomedical campus. I've heard there is a lot of demand for Class A office space downtown, but it hasn't been proven conclusively to me, as far as I'm concerned. Once commercial projects get off the ground, I think we'll see how fast they fill up, who occupies them, vacancy rates elsewhere, etc. and hopefully the indicators will show demand for more downtown Class A space, leading to more skyscrapers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 12:41 AM

The FAA has determined the height of both buildings to be a presumed hazard.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...erID=100744055

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...erID=100744056

Last edited by HX_Guy; Oct 4, 2007 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 12:58 AM

Move the damn airport already people. What idiot decided it should go in the middle of the whole city so we have horrible traffic and airplane noise whereever you live. seriously. Is this craptastic city planning of what? Downtown will always suffer because of this, so much for the "prime spot" and a new tallest. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:00 AM

i say if the building is not at least 500 feet tall, RED, or whoever are the developers, should drop the plan altogether and build nothing. The city has a more bigger stake in cityscape than the developers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:01 AM

I cannot believe they have gotten to this point without all the pertinent parties knowing exactly what height could be built there. This is ludicrous to a degree beyond my comprehension. Someone explain it to me, please.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:06 AM

I agree with you JimInCal, I can't believe that RED did not try and get the approval from the FAA before coming this far. It would be maddening and disappointing to have this project fall now...or to even have to start all over with new designs. They could add another tower and have three on one block, none passing the 350' mark but aside from the fact that it would delay it who knows how long, it obviously would not be a new tallest and wouldn't have nearly the same impact at 350' and most likely would not pencil out the way the 510' tower did.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:32 AM

Phoenix needs to build taller. I say screw the airport.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:40 AM
Dbacks baby!

I dont really get how its that much of a threat...cityscape is clustered so close to the rest of the taller buildings downtown...good lawd...i thought this already had preliminary approval from the FAA

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest