HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:53 AM

PHILADELPHIA | 3151 Market Street | Schuylkill Yards | 226 FT | 14 FLOORS

Title: 3151 Market Street
Project: Office
Architect: SHOP
Developer: Brandywine Reality Trust
Neighborhood: University City
District: West Philadelphia
Floors: 14 floors
Height: 226 feet

https://schuylkillyards.com/lease-sp...-market-street

Last edited by summersm343; May 8, 2022 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:37 PM

Is this sited on the corner of 31st and Market?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:15 PM

That tangerine / orange color is going to go great with the red tower that's going up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:42 PM

Design on this one needs a little work - otherwise, build it!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:44 PM

This skyscraper is relatively short compare to the over all skyline of the city but I see some promise in it; for one it gives scale to 3001 JFK in its height and scale; and secondly it colour scheme makes the new red skyscraper fit.

Seeing anything built in Schuylkill Yards is encouraging; some of us have been waiting decades for this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 7:48 PM

Not a very good design for SHoP. But maybe it's just the quality of the renders or the details will get ironed out later.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:54 PM

It looks like a major deviation to the original Schuylkill Yards proposals of the past. I was expecting a much taller proposal than the one that's currently being presented. And considering the the former SY proposals featured much taller towers, this one is very underwhelming. And people wonder why I've always felt so nostalgic about the American Commerce Center. I really don't have any faith for SY (including projects such as the 2901 Arch Street - Transit Terminal Tower) if this gets realized and erected.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:28 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
It looks like a major deviation to the original Schuylkill Yards proposals of the past. I was expecting a much taller proposal than the one that's currently being presented. And considering the the former SY proposals featured much taller towers, this one is very underwhelming. And people wonder why I've always felt so nostalgic about the American Commerce Center. I really don't have any faith for SY (including projects such as the 2901 Arch Street - Transit Terminal Tower) if this gets realized and erected.
Spoiler alert: It isn't -- see site plan:

upload photo

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:19 PM

PDF from Brandywine with a better rendering of this building:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:02 PM

^

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I like the multiple balconies at an angle. Overall not a bad design.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I like the multiple balconies at an angle. Overall not a bad design.
Certainly better than the Santander bank that currently occupies the site!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
most definitely on a high profile corner. The low squat bank is a waste of space and doesn't deserve to be there. Good riddance when the time comes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:03 PM

Do we think Spark is going to take this one? Or are they expanding across the street?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Do we think Spark is going to take this one? Or are they expanding across the street?
This might be one of Drexel’s buildings.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:38 PM

Its a beautiful building, great infill, but beautiful nonetheless. If i remember correctly too, doesnt this go up around the same time as either 3001 or 3025?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:57 PM

After reading the mentioned Brandywine link I think this building is being marketed just like a number of buildings they are proposing in several different cities. I'm quite sure if a tenant signed up for a large number of floors they would be thrilled to build, starting asap.

But I don't see anything in the tea leaves that tells me theres a time table as to when this will be built. It's a neat looking concept but don't start waiting for a ground breaking. Now if Drexel suddenly decides it needs lots and lots of lab space and has the resources to sign a long term lease, the story might play out alot faster. But this down turn has hit Drexel hard and they seem to be doing belt tightening, not expansion.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Spoiler alert: It isn't -- see site plan:

upload photo
I'm not so much worried about the design, although I still prefer the original design compared to this proposal in the first pic:

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/27/...derings-drexel

I thought the original was very sleek and commanded a lot of aesthetic and architecture power that the current proposal. I'm still waiting for the taller tower that's supposed to be adjacent and I hope the developers build that in addition to the supertall and the new bus station (sorely needed to replace the old and decrepit Chinatown location).

If the developers can pull a rabbit out of the hat and stay on course, I can slowly see the nexus of energy pull from Center City into Schuylkill Yards as far as economic activity goes. We've lost a lot of companies to either the suburbs and to competing cities and I hope Mayor Kenney and Governor Wolf can understand how very important this project is not only to the future of the city, but to PA and the region as well. I still won't hold my breath for SY, and it seems like we're headed to be a one company town:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blog...Nashville.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-of-phila.html

I'm not saying Aramark will leave Philadelphia, but seeing companies like Lincoln Financial, Crown Holdings, Sovereign/Santander, and especially Sunoco leave the city limits doesn't give me any confidence that Philadelphia can compete. Don't blame me, I just follow the current trends.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I don't think they will move out of their new HQ at 2400 Market St to the burbs, at least not until 2034 when their lease is up and then they have a decision to make.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'm not so much worried about the design, although I still prefer the original design compared to this proposal in the first pic:

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/27/...derings-drexelI'm not saying Aramark will leave Philadelphia, but seeing companies like Lincoln Financial, Crown Holdings, Sovereign/Santander, and especially Sunoco leave the city limits doesn't give me any confidence that Philadelphia can compete. Don't blame me, I just follow the current trends.
Any company leaving the city is unfortunate, and I'm the first to bash the city's tax code...but I also see this as a case of old vs new. These are old line traditional companies without a lot of growth prospects. They're also likely run by old men who still think in old ways. They're not concerned about recruiting the best and brightest young people because young people don't want to work for them. Mostly, they're just re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic and trying to pump up earnings any way they can.

They'll be replaced by more dynamic upstarts that know where you plant your flag is just as important as how you run your company.

Sunoco won't be around in 25 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction