HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:35 PM

Last edited by Nite; Jun 14, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:59 PM

I have to give a shout out to our Mayor. Unlike other politicians past and present who would have only gone to home games and sat in platinum seats he has been outside with the fans almost every game throughout the playoffs.

Also for a city of 5 million plus, the party didn't get too out of control. There was a gang shooting however near Dundas Square, but at least the individuals involved were all caught.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:06 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:12 PM

My favourite video from last night so far:

Video Link

You can only be that level of drunk, yet still coherent and walking around, with a substantial amount of cocaine.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:17 PM

Saw that vid on deadspin. That dude is gonna be a minor celebrity. Honestly you couldn’t have written his dialogue any better.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:25 PM

So... TFC, Marlies, raps and Argos (just before acquisition) have won championships in past two years but MLSE’s other property, the lame leafs, have been nowhere close. And they definitely would have had a great chance this year with a coach that isn’t a dinosaur IMO. And an overpaid one at that too.

Let’s hope mlse gets the message that you can have a rookie head coach win a championship instead of one you pay $7m a year who in the past won with loaded teams.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 PM
Registered Drug User

I bow down before the awesomeness of Plant Guy. A man who comes up with "Kawh-actus" on the spur of the moment on live television is a man we need to hear more from.

Plant Guy for mayor.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 10:21 PM

Big numbers

Quote:
TORONTO (June 14, 2019) – With an entire nation behind them, the Toronto Raptors are NBA champions after defeating the Golden State Warriors 114-110 in Game 6 of the NBA FINALS last night on TSN, CTV, and RDS. Fan support for the team’s historic NBA championship run was at an all-time high, as preliminary data from Numeris confirms that Thursday night’s Game 6 attracted an average audience of 7.7 million viewers on TSN, CTV, and RDS, making it the most-watched NBA game on record in Canada and the biggest English-language television broadcast in three years.

A record 15.9 million unique Canadian viewers – 44% of Canada’s population – tuned in to watch some part of the game. Audiences peaked at nearly 10 million viewers (9.99 million) at 11:47 p.m. ET in the game’s final minute. Fans took the opportunity to celebrate alongside the team, as TSN and CTV’s post-game coverage attracted an average audience of 6.5 million viewers.

In Toronto and Hamilton, the game had a share of 82% on TSN and CTV, meaning that 82% of all people watching television in Toronto and Hamilton on Thursday night were tuned in to the game. This represents the highest audience ever in that market, excluding the Olympics.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 11:13 PM
Registered Drug User

I'm not sure if this is controversial or not, but here's what I'm thinking: The Raps could have won with Valanciunas. Gasol's crappy offence outside of the odd three-pointer and not-much-better defense (active hands, inactive feet) almost cost them the championship. Or at the very least, they won in spite of Gasol.

He only had one or two good games. There were numerous times where I was gritting my teeth and thinking that Ibaka should have had the lion's share of the playing time that Gasol had.

Does this sound like griping on the day after a championship win?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm not sure if this is controversial or not, but here's what I'm thinking: The Raps could have won with Valanciunas. Gasol's crappy offence outside of the odd three-pointer and not-much-better defense (active hands, inactive feet) almost cost them the championship. Or at the very least, they won in spite of Gasol.

He only had one or two good games. There were numerous times where I was gritting my teeth and thinking that Ibaka should have had the lion's share of the playing time that Gasol had.

I absolutely disagree, but I dont have the time to type it up. Having Gasol's defense filled the last gap on this roster and was a huge reason they even made it through philly and Milwaukee.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 11:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I bow down before the awesomeness of Plant Guy. A man who comes up with "Kawh-actus" on the spur of the moment on live television is a man we need to hear more from.

r.
I tend to agree. His improvised lines were like something a character in a gritty Martin Scorcese movie would say.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Plant Guy for mayor.
I'm not even sure on which side of Rob Ford I'd rank Plant Guy. By recent standards, he could be a decently good mayor­.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 1:11 AM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but his averages were pretty decent (12 and 7), and you have to look at the playoff run as a whole.

Marc was not as ideal in the finals, but in the Eastern Conference Finals and against the 76ers I doubt the Raptors would have won if not for Marc.

He is a savey dude and did exactly what he was supposed to do. Danny Green was the one I was the most disappointed with in the whole playoffs. Had a game or two, but barely moved the needle overall in this run.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:52 AM
Registered Drug User

His voice breaks on Kawhi's name when he says "It's a housewarming gift for Kawhi." This is love.

Screw being the mayor, Plant Guy has bigger fish to fry. This has to become a meme, right? I think he could run with this and go into relationship counselling.

"Always be sincere. Show your love." That could be his motto.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 4:30 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:

Let's not bother about those what if scenarios yet... because had KD been healthy, Golden State would have won in 6 max.

The Raptors need to sign Kawhi. Anything else is unimportant at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Wow that's a huge crowd to stick around after watching Roughriders to watch the Raptors at Mosaic on the largest Jumbotron screen in Canada, (Mosaic's screen is larger than an actual basketball court).

But then again it doesn't take much excuse to convince Rider fans (some of the most rabid sports fans anywhere) to stick around after Rider game to party!

I wonder how may Raptor fans would do the same for the Riders, or the CFL in general
Oh SaskScraper...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 5:29 AM

Interesting that Vancouver has the second highest NBA viewership in the country per capita yet no big viewing party like everyone else.
We had our own team and want it back.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 11:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Interesting that Vancouver has the second highest NBA viewership in the country per capita yet no big viewing party like everyone else.
I wonder how many Vancouverite viewers were scarred by 2011 Canucks Game 7. At least I was.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 11:18 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by De7nscity View Post
Thought Vancouver was one of the first cities to have a viewing party? Jurassic Park West?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada