HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Remember the awkwardness that ensued when Bowman thought that Chipman was using some kind of back room connections to get the rights to the hotel project?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ ahh yes. That was Mark "glasses off" Chipman.

Very serious.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yes and no. When there's big conferences on the bigger hotels usually fill up, but we don't have a ton of steady tourism that they're always busy. Delta is always busy as it's the only proper business hotel on a major points system in downtown Winnipeg. It's so odd here as aside from Delta all of the major hotels downtown are either independent or not on the major programs. Lots of businesses travellers don't like the Alt because there's very few services.

There's a decent amount of hotels downtown already, but very few big banners. Many businesses will force employees to stay in a Marriott or Hilton hotel, and unfortunately we have a ton by the airport, so many stay there. I think there could/should/would be more (big banner) downtown hotel demand if there weren't so many by there airport. If Marriott were to open some more downtown hotels it'd likely hurt some of their Polo hotels.
Just a couple of "points" - The Fairmont Winnipeg is actually part of a major points program, it's just that you have never heard of it. France-based Accor (~4,800 hotels) bought Fairmont Raffles a few years ago to give its millions of European budget and mid-scale guests some aspirational properties to burn what are now Accor Live Limitless points. Of course, while not bad, I would not consider the Fairmont Winnipeg to be one of the gems of the flag. They are very vulnerable to a new build or a re-flag of an existing property to a more North American-centric program now that Fairmont President's Club has been subsumed into ALL.

Also, with the re-flagging of the former Four Points at the airport to a Wyndham soft-brand, Marriott actually has approximately equal the number of rooms downtown and at or near-ish to the airport:

Downtown - Delta - 393

YWG - Courtyard - 121

Near-ish YWG - Fairfield - 136

Residence Inn - 134

In the global scheme of things that is a small number of rooms. The Delta has been busy every time I have stayed there. If someone wants to develop a new hotel I don't see Marriott hesitating to listen.

The bigger problem is Hilton, with everything at the airport or in the suburbs and nothing downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Remember the awkwardness that ensued when Bowman thought that Chipman was using some kind of back room connections to get the rights to the hotel project?
Bowman thought? Seriously does Bowman ever think anything through, amazing the guy even got into law school never mind graduate, seems like just about any of his legal opinions fall apart rather quickly when examined by real lawyers!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 1:41 PM

https://www.truenorthsquare.com/leasing/#commercial

I noticed on the leasing page they have 4 floors of office available a 223 Carlton. Wasn't there some type of office condo thing going on in there? Or is that still happening but on different floors.

Also as we've seen, the other building is mostly leased out. Half a floor left on 13. And it says 15 is available. But I thought the law firm had that one.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I noticed on the leasing page they have 4 floors of office available a 223 Carlton. Wasn't there some type of office condo thing going on in there? Or is that still happening but on different floors.

Also as we've seen, the other building is mostly leased out. Half a floor left on 13. And it says 15 is available. But I thought the law firm had that one.
15 must be a mistake, that's TDS. As you can see they don't have any sqft listed. That or they have a bit of space to sublease, there's a small tech company already subleasing a couple offices from TDS, so that could be the case.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:

I thought TNSE was taking the 4 floors at 223 Carlton. Maybe the site hasn't been updated in a while?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
15 must be a mistake, that's TDS. As you can see they don't have any sqft listed. That or they have a bit of space to sublease, there's a small tech company already subleasing a couple offices from TDS, so that could be the case.
Yeah, that's an error. TDS grabbed the last piece of 15 back in 2019. It's under construction now.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I thought TNSE was taking the 4 floors at 223 Carlton. Maybe the site hasn't been updated in a while?
Yes that's correct

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 8:38 PM

Were they (TNSE) actually or was that a rumour?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 4:47 PM

Small crew working on the ramp to the parkade today.

That is all.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
One thing I don't remember ever getting touched on here is that TNSE announced they will be moving their offices out of the Powerhouse building and taking all the office space in 223 Carlton. Move will happen this summer.

With Tavern United's days seeming numbered... I wonder if we could see a big change to the Powerhouse building in the coming years.

https://www.tnse.com/news/true-north...-north-square/
Quote:
Were they (TNSE) actually or was that a rumour?
Here you go, I knew I heard it somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 5:16 PM

Ah thanks. So True North takes up all 4 of those floors.

Do the offices in the powerhouse building have some type of direct, private connection into BellMTS Place? Such as for Chipman and management peoples to not mingle with the peasants when going from offices to the press box at the rink.

Just wondering if there is any loss of functionality that might be caused by moving across the street. I wonder what will come of the space at the powerhouse. Or is TNSE still staying there. The press article mentions only some of their staff will be located in TNS.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Ah thanks. So True North takes up all 4 of those floors.

Do the offices in the powerhouse building have some type of direct, private connection into BellMTS Place? Such as for Chipman and management peoples to not mingle with the peasants when going from offices to the press box at the rink.

Just wondering if there is any loss of functionality that might be caused by moving across the street. I wonder what will come of the space at the powerhouse. Or is TNSE still staying there. The press article mentions only some of their staff will be located in TNS.
Pretty sure they do not and access is via the second story skywalk. I've seen Chipman walking about fairly often.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Pretty sure they do not and access is via the second story skywalk. I've seen Chipman walking about fairly often.
Correct. It's at the same connection as the skywalk entrance to Tavern, just on the other side.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 10:02 PM
Ignore these four words.

Next page.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 10:30 PM

^ Nice to see 300 Main starting to peek out in that view...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
^ Nice to see 300 Main starting to peek out in that view...
Definitely. Can't wait for it to top out.

Also, seems that someone has upgraded that camera. Thanks to the benevolent one, whoever that may be.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Definitely. Can't wait for it to top out.

Also, seems that someone has upgraded that camera. Thanks to the benevolent one, whoever that may be.
I agree.

You can now get a real idea of the changes that are taking place

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:25 AM

i just wish someone would clean the lens of the forks webcam on youtube now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan