HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:49 AM
Meh

Do we know yet what the official route(s) is for the subway?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man....Take in that question for a sec. We have plans for a damn S U B W A Y line in Austin. Someone pinch me! We have come so so far! I am so proud of our planners....now I hope and pray I can be just as proud of our voters in November.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 1:24 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
This link provides an answer to your question....
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...aign=statesman

"The most eye-popping feature of Cap Metro’s recommendation is the downtown subway system, which proposes tunnels under Guadalupe Street from Cesar Chavez Street to at least 14th Street; under Fourth Street from Republic Square Park to Trinity Street; and under Trinity Street from Fourth Street to Lady Bird Lake."

The northern most portal being around 14th Street, and the southern most portal being just north of Lady Bird Lake.

For those unfamiliar with Austin, 14th Street is one block south of 15th Street, which runs east to west immediately north of the State Capital complex. So basically, when they state 14th Street they are suggesting the portal will be just south of 15th Street.

I have not laid eyes on the propose maps, so I do not know how they plan to run through "The Strip" yet. Guadalupe is too narrow to fit light rail within, so the light rail line will either have to go around, over, or under there. I'm not sure going under is completely ruled out yet - but that will come at an additional cost if they do.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Nope. Sounds like it would start on SOCO just south of riverside and end at 14th for the orange line and from republic square to just south of the convention center for the blue line. That would mean a bridge over the lake for the blue line and a tunnel for the orange line.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:34 PM

This is what it would take to build out in 15 years vs 30:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:09 AM
Meh

This American-Statesman article is saying the cost to average homeowner would be $300 a year, and would be a property tax increase of 21% to 22%, and that it would have to be approved by voters per state law:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...emplate=ampart
Quote:
Capital Metro has estimated its proposed $9.6 billion transit plan would cost the average Austin homeowner about $300 a year.

The proposed 9- to 10-cent bump to the city of Austin's property tax rate would increase the city tax rate between 21% and 22.5%, a considerable jump that would trigger a tax rate rollback election under state law.

Tax rate could go up between 21% and 22.5%, trigger transit referendum

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
This American-Statesman article is saying the cost to average homeowner would be $300 a year, and would be a property tax increase of 21% to 22%, and that it would have to be approved by voters per state law:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...emplate=ampart
Argh no. It’s not a property tax increase of 21 to 22%. It’s a city of Austin tax increase of 21 to 22%. There is a major major major difference between the two and the statesman was dumb to phrase it like that. People are going to assume their whole tax bill is going to go up by 20 percent.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:33 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Argh no. It’s not a property tax increase of 21 to 22%. It’s a city of Austin tax increase of 21 to 22%. There is a major major major difference between the two and the statesman was dumb to phrase it like that. People are going to assume their whole tax bill is going to go up by 20 percent.
I'll agree with that, the largest percentage of property taxes collected is for school districts, not county or city governments within our state.
Never-the-less, $300 more taxes on the average housing property will happen every year.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Agree. This is devastating to public perception.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 1:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Agree. This is devastating to public perception.
This is another example of how the news media twists the news they report while reporting the news honesty. They did write the city's property taxes will be rising. What they did not write, to be completely informative, is that the school districts and county property taxes will not.
If anyone thinks all of their property taxes will be rising do not blame the American Statesman because that is not what they wrote. The only way to fix the public's false perception is for the schools to teach civics better. It is not the job of the newspaper to teach civics.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:32 PM

Txdot is set to close the I-35 northbound to US 183 northbound flyover for about 6 months in late summer/early fall. This is the fist time I had seen a time span on the closure.

The flyover will close after the new I-35 SB to US 183 NB and SB flyovers and US 183 NB to I-35 SB flyover opens.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 2:56 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Txdot is set to close the I-35 northbound to US 183 northbound flyover for about 6 months in late summer/early fall. This is the fist time I had seen a time span on the closure.

The flyover will close after the new I-35 SB to US 183 NB and SB flyovers and US 183 NB to I-35 SB flyover opens.
Are they replacing that with two lanes, I hope?

Also, here's an idea...while everyone is staying home (or a lot of folks anyway), let's close I-35 entirely and do the rebuild now. Lowest traffic number it will ever see.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:41 PM

so, quick question here....is rail dead again because of c-virus?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:56 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
so, quick question here....is rail dead again because of c-virus?
Timing for the virus couldn't be worse on that front. Density makes sense across the board until you have a pandemic. Hopefully people can see the bigger picture...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Timing for the virus couldn't be worse on that front. Density makes sense across the board until you have a pandemic. Hopefully people can see the bigger picture...
I hope not. Better transit can increase affordability if you have reliable trains with their own lanes then you can conceivably live without a car. That is a lot of money you save in gas, maintenance, insurance, etc.

We could cut the proposed tax rate by 2.5 cents if we ax the downtown tunnel but we would be screwing future Austin by building a transit system that could max out in 30 years.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:27 PM

I was thinking the best thing to do for now is to delay the vote until 2022. We absolutely need to implement it but since the economy won't be recovered by November, people will not be voting for any big spending items I'm guessing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Are they replacing that with two lanes, I hope?

Also, here's an idea...while everyone is staying home (or a lot of folks anyway), let's close I-35 entirely and do the rebuild now. Lowest traffic number it will ever see.
They are not but you don't want a two lane exit unless there is a place for that lane to go. Mopac N to 183 N is two lanes but one of those lanes exits the highway. Remember, there is a new ramp from 35 SB that is going to join with this ramp.

If you make the exit 2 lanes then you are just going to be causing traffic when those cars have to merge together. There are 3 problems with the current ramp that are all being fixed. First, it's too steep so big trucks slow way down to get up it. Second, it's a sharp exit from the highway mainline which also causes cars to slow down. Third, traffic entering from 290 has to merge through the cars headed for that ramp.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 4:43 PM

My fear -- and this also extends to the convention center expansion, IMO -- is that we're ultimately going to spend a crazy amount of money on the pandemic at all levels of government. I don't think that necessarily means we WON'T have additional money for the expansion or for Project Connect, but the perception of spend is going to be pretty huge. Depending on what condition we're in in November, the voting public could be focused entirely on immediate recovery items, rather than investments in the future.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 5:21 PM

I can't imagine any government entity asking for a tax increase for anything for quite some time....other than to prevent their bankruptcy.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Some of the highest density cities in the world have done just fine throughout this pandemic. It's a factor, certainly, in determining the impact but not the most important one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin