HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Former mayor Morrow passes at 71

Respectful condolences to his family and friends.

Former mayor Bob Morrow dies

Matthew Van Dongen
Hamilton Spectator
Feb 5, 2018

Bob Morrow, Hamilton's longest-serving mayor, has died.

Friends and former municipal colleagues began posting online tributes Monday to memorialize Morrow, who served as the city's top municipal politician from 1982 to 2000 - and again briefly as a councillor in 2014.

"So sorry to hear of passing of Robert Maxwell Morrow," tweeted former Hamilton regional chair Terry Cooke. "Bob was #HamOnt's longest serving Mayor as well as a political colleague and a friend. Bob was an unforgettable character with a true gift for connecting with people from all walks of life. A tremendous legacy of service."

Council voted just two months ago to recognize Morrow at age 71 by renaming the City Hall forecourt in his honour.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger issued public condolences Monday afternoon and announced all City of Hamilton flags would be flown at half-staff until the funeral service. Details about that service are not yet known.

Eisenberger lauded the longtime politician and musician for "growing the cultural capacity" of the city and presiding over the start of a transformation "of what is now considered to be the most diversified economy in Canada."

"He was a freind to all and a mentor to many and was noted to be a passionate advocate for the average working men and women," wrote Eisenberger. "He continued his community participation by leading his beloved choir to the end."

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...b-morrow-dies/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:25 AM
Ham-burgher

CBC's story has a few more quotes and reactions:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...uary-1.4520567

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:29 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

71 seems not that old anymore. Never met him, he did have his time when Hamilton had a totally different economy and problems like coal dust storms and mountains of black slag along Burlington St. At least industry took most of the property taxes in and Hamilton business climate was better than it is now. I did work on the advertising for Bob Wade's campaign. It was a surprise that Morrow ran when it was clear the amalgamated City was ready for a change. We were a distant third when Wade began.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:15 AM
Ham-burgher

I agree, it does not seem old. My parents are around that age and they're both doing great, minor issues aside.

Morrow presided over a difficult time in Hamilton's history. The steel industry was shrinking, among other manufacturers, some of whom became niches in larger global players (e.g., the bones of Westinghouse becoming part of Siemens). Others were closing up entirely, like Firestone and P&G. Things hit a low in the late-90s and early 2000s but I think the business climate has improved a lot since then.

I feel more could have been done to lead the city into new opportunities during his long term of leadership, rather than mostly just managing things in the decline. But I do respect where his heart was, and the effort he put into the city. He did what he thought best and supported it with so much of himself.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

I met Morrow back in 2000, shortly after he lost the mayoral election. It was a weird year because shortly after the municipal election there was a federal election and I was helping Beth Phinney at the time. Anyways Morrow gave a speech for Beth Phinney's re-election, it was a private event and we must've clapped for him when he got up for a good five minutes or more. It wasn't even a week yet after the mayoral election so his defeat was still very fresh, however I'll always remember how much of a gentlemen he was, he shook each and everyone's hand.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:36 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

that;s a cool story bro. yeah we were cheering at the agency when Wade won.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy