HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:47 AM
Moran supreme

LED street lighting

Pictures in another thread got me a wondering as to how many municipalities in Canada are in the process of converting their street lights to LED fixtures. Some may have already completed their conversions, others may have started and some may not even be contemplating such a conversion.

Where I have lived for the past 38 years (Calgary), the plan is to have 80,000 of 90,000 street lights converted to LED by the end of 2018 - currently the number converted is past the 50% mark. 10,000 are projected not to be converted for various reasons but that may change as LED technologies evolve.

The above noted, is there a LED street light conversion program in place where you reside and if so, how far along is it? Or are there no plans at all?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:56 AM
Fake News

I've noticed a handful of LED streetlights flickering at a seizure inducing pace turning off Deerfoot northbound going towards the IKEA turnoff and then again going under Glenmore heading towards Burnco and the golf course. I wonder if these are faulty lights or what the problem might be. It's horrible though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:57 AM

Langevine Bridge has been having seizures as well.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:20 AM
Moran supreme

I was really hoping this thread could be limited to talk about LED conversion statuses and that LED lighting issues or anti-LED talk could be had in another thread. Too much to hope for?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:37 AM
BANNED

This will likely be an all-encompassing LED programme/issues thread as there really is no need for multiple LED threads.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:38 AM

Tremendous things are possible thanks to this, just because it's energy-efficient.

For example, some guys dream about things like this here.

You're a so called prairie guy? Well, question always comes from natural environment, and light pollution seems something real, disturbing ecosystems. So I wouldn't bet local regulations will allow too many of these showy things, at least over here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:50 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Tremendous things are possible thanks to this, just because it's energy-efficient.

For example, some guys dream about things like this here.

You're a so called prairie guy? Well, question always comes from natural environment, and light pollution seems something real, disturbing ecosystems. So I wouldn't bet local regulations will allow too many of these showy things, at least over here.
Where there's actual prairie you don't have these showy things, in the urban areas where the prairie is long gone, no big deal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:07 AM

Yes, big big, nasty big deal. Somehow, life is connected to this mess, and all over the world. From some spot to another, then to another one spot, and so on and on. It's all connected. Even remote places depend on one another.

You know what? If we keep doing arrogant things like this here, guys like you, or maybe not you, but those who'll come after you will be in a situation like they merely have no more right to live.

So, when you're a mindful, normally balanced person, you just say the environment first, even when it should ruin one's fucking pride.
I think you get it, basically.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 8:31 AM

I think you're not a normally balanced individual. Speedog is talking about street lights. We have one area of one neighbourhood here in Airdrie that I know of using LED lights. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 1:21 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I think you're not a normally balanced individual. Speedog is talking about street lights. We have one area of one neighbourhood here in Airdrie that I know of using LED lights. I like it.
Our community is currently undergoing conversion right now. As for 'the' response, ummm, wow?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:44 PM

Cobourg's been LED for a decade.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:55 PM

Montreal is. There was a big debate about the blueness of the new lights. Finally the city chose a warmer hue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Montreal is. There was a big debate about the blueness of the new lights. Finally the city chose a warmer hue.
Winnipeg is currently changing all of the streetlights to LED.

They choose the brightest white light available. It sucks. I wish they would have gone with a warmer white.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:10 PM
I am the law!

I haven't noticed street lights but the traffic signals are being upgraded in Toronto.

**edit:

Okay. 150 Lights so far.
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...eetlights.aspx

Everyone is going to upgrade. It just makes too much sense. The bulbs are much more efficient and long lasting.

Alert**Off topic**Alert

Now I'm wondering if the leaseable areas in brand new office buildings are still lit by fluorescent tubes lighting. I would guess the costs of LED are an issue.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Newfoundland Power has had a pilot project on the go since, I believe, 2010 with 40 LED street lights in St. John's and Carbonear. Never heard a word about it since then. A random light or two is bright blue at night here but most are amber.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

When I was in Northern Ontario for work a bunch in summer / fall of 2015 I noticed that most towns had completely switched over to LED. Like, 100% - not just in some areas or as part of life cycle upgrading. I would imagine there were some infrastructure grants involved and some sort of cost-benefit analysis to show that it was worth it to do so.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:44 PM

Windsor's streetlights have been 100% LED for the past few years now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:48 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
So does Montreal have an amber LED fixture that gives their downtown streets that amber glow?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:56 PM

Edmonton is well on its way to converting 100, 000 sodium vapor lights. Estimates of up to 50% power savings by 2020. All of the Traffic signals should be converted by now. I like the newer light as well. it makes it easier to see pedestrians. The orange hew made it hard to see people at night since everyone seams to wear black now. Also noticed the glow from the city is less noticeable when driving in at night. From the air it looks great.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:04 PM
Moran supreme

Interesting that the city of Edmonton at 900,000 people hasore streetlights (100,000) then the city of Calgary (1,235,00 people, 90,000 lights). Either one has an abundance of lighting or the other is lacking or maybe it's something else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada