HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 11:40 PM

^Thanks but I think it has changed again. That rendering is for the 18-storey version of the Wentworth which is now 15-storeys though all it is possible all they did was chop off the top three floors.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 2:00 PM

interesting, looks better, on page 45, the site plan, they have inluded the age of the existing trees, some 80-100 years, so they are hopefully looking out for them.
I had thought that they were planning to close the last block of Irishtown rd, up to Prince Albert and have a footbridge over a water feature, from the site plan it looks like no

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
interesting, looks better, on page 45, the site plan, they have inluded the age of the existing trees, some 80-100 years, so they are hopefully looking out for them.
I had thought that they were planning to close the last block of Irishtown rd, up to Prince Albert and have a footbridge over a water feature, from the site plan it looks like no
Looks like a good project overall.

Interesting about the trees... this is going to sound strange but I have childhood memories of looking out at that 80-100 year old Copper Beech from the classroom in Greenvale in June just itching for school to be out for the summer...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Looks like a good project overall.

Interesting about the trees... this is going to sound strange but I have childhood memories of looking out at that 80-100 year old Copper Beech from the classroom in Greenvale in June just itching for school to be out for the summer...
they are beautiful trees, I worry that the developer will accidentally knock some down.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:12 PM
Honored Member

I think they are going in the wrong direction with this development. Instead of insisting on lower height, I think residents should be insisting on slender but taller towers that will allow more light to pass through and more space between towers to see a view.

I am not excited about this project. It started off with towers over 20 stories and has now morphed into another disappointing compromise of shortened, bulging towers.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think they are going in the wrong direction with this development. Instead of insisting on lower height, I think residents should be insisting on slender but taller towers that will allow more light to pass through and more space between towers to see a view.

I am not excited about this project. It started off with towers over 20 stories and has now morphed into another disappointing compromise of shortened, bulging towers.
I agree. I feel this proposal is totally wrong for the space and the area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post

Yet another reason why the Regional Centre plan needs to get approved sooner rather than later. So that these discussions about height are done. The height is designated via the post bonus map and if you can bonus up to it, you get it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 10:50 PM

I think it's really too bad they have to build it around the Greenvale parking lot, rather than provide more street frontage on Ochterloney.

Speaking of Ochterloney: Does anyone know that status of Lotus Point? The early renderings were pretty basic, but it looked like it might turn out to be a good-looking, if the finishing materials, etc., were up to par.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am not sure what's going on with Lotus Point but they have a website up: http://www.lotuspointliving.com/

We also have a project thread for it.

Ochterloney isn't perfect but it is an interesting streetscape. I think it could be great with a few Lotus Point type buildings, particularly if the blocks closer to Alderney are developed in the future. Downtown Dartmouth has the potential to really come together with King's Wharf and some of the other projects. If a couple thousand more people were to move into the neighbourhood it would be a lot more vibrant.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 AM

Here's a new rendering from today's paper:

source: http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bus...ns-scaled-back

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:09 AM
You talkin' to me?

^I think those would tie in very well with the look of kings wharf. Though the lower floors look like they may be a hack job.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The rendering still looks preliminary, so I wouldn't worry too much about details, but I don't like the overall massing of the project. It's really unattractive when lots of buildings are shoehorned in and attached to a single structure, and it tends to be bad in terms of permeability for pedestrians and vehicles. Really this would work better as multiple building lots.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:52 PM

interesting that the building that fronts Ochterloney is out of view, except for the west side. Also the existing tress are also not in the drawing, but if they were there would be less of the buildings to see. The street frontage for this development on Ochterloney is very small

in the report it does mention about closing the south end of Irishtown Rd: "Closure of Irishtown Road
Part of the concept for the Canal Greenway is to close at least part of Irishtown Road between
Queen Street and Prince Albert Road. The closure is not required to accommodate this
development and would add additional lands to the Canal Greenway and enhance it as a linear
park corridor. Traffic studies undertaken for HRM indicate the closure will not have a significant
effect on the area road network. The site plan for the development provides for this road closure
as there are no driveway entrances proposed on this portion of Irishtown Road. Regional Council
would have to hold a public hearing on the road closure, which is currently not anticipated to
happen until 2014."

Last edited by JET; Jan 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 6:05 AM

The Heritage Advisory Committee has recommended approval of this development.

The first reading at HEMDCC (Harbour East) will be on Tuesday afternoon.

Proposed Development Agreement

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 6:57 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Heritage Advisory Committee has recommended approval of this development.....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:57 AM

Irishtown development gets committee support

A multimillion-dollar residential development proposed for downtown Dartmouth is one step closer to approval.

A regional heritage advisory committee report will be tabled at a special meeting of the Harbour East — Marine Drive community council this afternoon.

The committee signed off on a plan by developer Darrell Dixon to build a seven-storey building, a 14-storey one and a 15-storey one as part of a mixed-use residential project on four parcels of land on Irishtown Road, Queen Street and Ochterloney Street.

The rest of the herald article is here.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
A multimillion-dollar residential development here.
I love how they always say 'multimillion dollar ... development'. As if there are lots of multithousand-dollar developments out there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:42 AM
Dartmouth Girl

It mentioned in the article about a bunch of money towards parkland

"A $409,500 parkland contribution for improvements to the Shubie Canal Greenway Corridor, which abuts the properties, is also included in the proposed development agreement."

Has anyone heard anything more since WAY back about potentially daylighting that section of the canal......?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:59 PM
BUILD!

I'm all for this development but I hope that they don't build it to look like the renderings we have seen recently.

The whole thing just looks slapped together and stunted in terms of the height reductions. This design too seems prone for using cheap materials as well.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:01 PM

Mark your calenders!

The Public Hearing for this project will be held by the HEMDCC on March 21st!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth