HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 11:00 PM

I'm not going to be able to make the meeting, but I'll be anxiously awaiting news here in the CS thread. Hopefully those of you who are going and pop in and give us some news as soon as it's over.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:22 AM
Skyriser

Approved, 5 - 2.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 6:43 AM

As Sean pointed out...the conceptual master plan passed 5-2 and I've got to say FINALLY! I'm glad this whole process is over and that in the end it went in favor of the project. The meeting tonight lasted 4 hours with 63 speakers and over 200 people in attendance.

There were some small changes made since the original plan, I photoshopped the original picture to show the changes.

I'm glad they added a bigger grassy area in the center as well as where they had the stairs, since the stairs just would have have not that appealing of a view from across the street.
I don't understand why they cut off the eastern part of the restaurant (3000 sq ft, which is a decent amount) instead of cutting it off the western end and making that small grassy area a bit bigger.

Original plan:

New plan:

I'm wondering where everything goes from here? I guess they need to make final specific plans, then submit for permits...and then finally they can start some digging?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 7:02 AM

Downtown Phoenix project earns approval
Kellie Hwang
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 22, 2007 11:31 PM

The battle for Patriots Square reached a milestone Thursday night.

Supporters of the $900 million mixed-use retail project to be built in downtown Phoenix rejoiced when the members of the Phoenix Parks Board approved the design, 5 to 2.

The group in opposition was not pleased, but did not feel defeat.
advertisement

"After the decision I want to ask, how conceptual is the conceptual plan that was approved tonight by the board tonight?" said Chris Ibarra, co-organizer of the savepatriotspark.org group. "The plan definitely needs reworking as some members of the board pointed out, and we are all going to hold them to that."

Hundreds showed up for the meeting, filling up all the seats of City Council and forcing overflow into the basement, where the proceedings were televised. More than 60 individuals lined up to speak for or against the plan.

Supporters of CityScape wore green buttons reading "YES" in bold white lettering, while several opponents flashed signs reading "Save Our Square" and dressed in devil costumes ridiculing RED Development, the company overseeing the project.

Those opposing the plan were upset because it essentially takes Patriots Square and stretches it over three city blocks. The outcome is a 5-acre strip that will house restaurants, a grocery store, offices, condominiums, and an outdoor event space.

"We thought it would be a new city around the park, "said Alex Votichenko. "It has become a public space issue and this plan uses the park for privatization, which is not right."

Former councilman Calvin Goode spoke in support of the plan, reminding the public that there will be room for further changes, that the plan isn't final.

After the last meeting members of the board voted to send the plan back to the designers of Red Development. Officials came back with several changes they said addressed the public concerns, including creating more of a sense of open space.

Specifically, the restaurant west of the Washington Street and Central Avenue was reduced by one-third in the plan, and the staircase leading up to it was completely eliminated from the plan. Red designers also removed a kiosk that was slated to sit inside of the park.

"We wanted to make sure that there is more access to main intersections, with signage and landscaping," said John Bacon, a spokesman for Red Development. "The changes will allow visitors to have a better sense of where the commercial starts and where it stops."

Thursday night's decision now gives developers full reign to really focus on the plan, and add specific elements to the space including landscaping, water, and shade structures. Jay Thorne of RED Development is ready to continue moving ahead.

"There is a lot more design work to be done, and a lot of work to do. We can now really get started on that work. The process tonight gave us direction about what we still need to do."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 7:49 AM

Hallelujah!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 3:57 PM

Sean has been writing a lot in this thread...and I was at the meeting. You came down hard and condemned RED Development....Why? You seemed quite positive with your comments here. Your walking and talking dont match

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:15 PM

Well the important thing is they are going to tear down that ugly thing!!!!!!!!! When is construction suppose to start?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:16 PM

From everything I've heard, groundbreak should be in the summer...so we've got a while to go.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:47 PM

An email reply I got from John Bacon on my question of "Whats next?"...

Parking garage and program elements for the park will be priorities. Designers are working on new renderings now, but not sure how soon they will have them…hopefully not too long.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:49 PM

Does anyone know what buildings are being built in phase 1?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:54 PM

Phase I includes the Patriot's Square block, so the AJ's, resturant, bookstore, retail and the residential/hotel tower at the least.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:14 PM

I don't see the residential/hotel tower located on the Patriot's Square block... how many stories is this "required" building planned to be?

Does anyone know what type of trees they have proposed to plant??? Please tell me it isn't those scraggly desert types. We need leaves and shade in this area desperately.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:29 PM

The residential/hotel shows 37 stories in the initial design.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I don't see the residential/hotel tower located on the Patriot's Square block... how many stories is this "required" building planned to be?

Does anyone know what type of trees they have proposed to plant??? Please tell me it isn't those scraggly desert types. We need leaves and shade in this area desperately.
Tower 1 (the hotel/residential tower) is in the SE corner of the easternmost block. It's at the corner of 2nd Street and Jefferson, just west across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe. This is the only tower that RED is guaranteeing will be built. They'll work on this tower and the retail on the PSP block, and then the other three towers will come as demand dictates. It could be a decade before the whole thing is built out, if ever.

But because of the deal between RED and the city, the park block will be in Phase 1, including the upgrade to the parking structure and the AJs.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:49 PM
UrbanPHX

Great, so the only building they are required to build is now 17 stories? I don't like the sound of this all of a sudden.

[Edit] I can't tell if it says 17 or 37 for the hotel.

Last edited by PHX602; Feb 23, 2007 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 6:16 PM

OK, so is it the Hotel (SE corner) or the Residential/Retail (NE corner) on the eastern most block that is guaranteed to be built? One is 37 stories, the other is 17 (?) stories. The previous posts seem to be conflicting.

The only thing that is clear is that PSP block (western most) is also guaranteed to be built.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 6:40 PM

Look back at post #133 in this thread. It has a close up of that section of the project and it's clearly 37 stories.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 8:03 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Tower 1 (the hotel/residential tower) is in the SE corner of the easternmost block. It's at the corner of 2nd Street and Jefferson, just west across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe. This is the only tower that RED is guaranteeing will be built. They'll work on this tower and the retail on the PSP block, and then the other three towers will come as demand dictates. It could be a decade before the whole thing is built out, if ever.

But because of the deal between RED and the city, the park block will be in Phase 1, including the upgrade to the parking structure and the AJs.
Demand currently seems to be dictating a need for a new Class A office tower, so I'd bet that gets built. If "mixed use" ends up meaning a lot of office, that could end up happening as well. The only tower I wouldn't be too sure about is the residential tower on the NE corner.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 2:09 AM
-_-

isn't the 2000 car garage part of phase 1 as well?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 2:27 AM

^^^ Probably. If I remember correctly, the garage is part of the deal for getting block 77 (PSP). Also, if the garage is under the hotel block, they'd have to build it before building Tower 1 (the hotel tower).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest