HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:29 AM

Here's a few renderings of UBC's new 'Gateway Building'
and 'Biomedical Engineering Building', respectively.
Both of them will break ground sometime during next year.
Both sites have been cleared.

UBC Gateway Health Building.

Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects: https://www.shl.dk/ubc-gateway/

UBC Biomedical Engineering Building:

Patkau architects: https://patkau.ca/projects/ubc-schoo...l-engineering/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:52 PM
Ham-burgher

That is gorgeous.

University architecture has come a long way since the 1970s and 80s. Not to say there weren't nice buildings constructed back then, nor bland ones in the current era, but it feels like there is generally way more emphasis on making the shared spaces very nice.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 1:12 PM

I disagree. Not like there aren't *any* good university buildings today, but generally speaking they were more consistantly high quality back then. Most university buildings these days, at least in the GTA, seem to be pretty bare-bones with only the odd stand out.

Even the standouts, like Ryerson's Student Learning Centre, are often quite basic on the interior. Lots of exposed concrete columns and minimal finishings. The UBC Building above looks interesting from the interior, but hardly original, and the exterior looks like a basic suburban office complex.

The 70's relied heavily on brutalist architecture which is controversial, but generally finishes were much higher quality and the architecture made a much stronger statement.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 9:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Mackimmie Complex - University of Calgary - Largest carbon neutral complex in the federation

By NiteRyder on SRC

Mathison Hall - University of Calgary - doubling the size of the Haskayne School of Business

By NiteRyder on SRC

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:36 PM
I am the law!

It's an impressive renovation of a tired 1970s complex. I'm not sure how carbon neutrality is determine being a renovation of a 1970s complex.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:26 PM

Surely it's operational, not embedded. No chance you can hit embedded carbon neutral in a 1970s building.

Operational carbon neutrality is neat and all, and definitely an achievement to hit in Alberta considering their energy mix, but most eclectic powered buildings in BC and Quebec are more or less carbon neutral since their power comes from a grid that is over 95% carbon free.

Embedded carbon neutrality is the next big step, if we can ever get there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:59 AM
ARTchitecture

Just like Alberta is financially rich because of our oil resources, BC and Quebec are de facto carbon neutral because they have hydro electric resources, something Alberta doesn't have at all.

None of that takes away from the impressive feat achieved by this development. Hence the widespread use of photovoltaics across the complex, since solar is a renewable energy source Alberta has in abundance. While the water recycling and storm water collection is a necessity in the arid steppe, or at least it will be a necessity soon.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's an impressive renovation of a tired 1970s complex. I'm not sure how carbon neutrality is determine being a renovation of a 1970s complex.
Greenwashing. They probably qualified for extra funding when their highly-paid consultants created some convincing bs Powerpoint presentation with a multitude of colourful charts and graphs that nobody understood - featuring lots of trees a happy render people, of course!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 3:05 PM

Carleton University's Nicol Building. home of the Sprott School of Business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Finished product:

More images here - https://hariripontarini.com/projects...l-of-business/

https://hariripontarini.com/projects...l-of-business/

https://www.thorntontomasetti.com/pr...chool-business

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:42 PM

A few more newer buildings at Carleton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
There have been a lot of mediocre buildings added to the Carleton campus over the years but I'm noticing a small improvement in recent additions. I wanted to add a few on top of the Nichols building that was recently finished. These are by no means spectacular but I think they're better than I've seen in a little while. Both buildings were designed by Montgomery Sisam out of Toronto.

Health Sciences Building:

More images here - https://www.montgomerysisam.com/proj...es-building-2/

ARISE Building:

More images here - https://www.montgomerysisam.com/proj...rise-building/
Canal and River buildings.

https://carleton.ca/bprc/people/canal-building/

https://carleton.ca/spaces/book-by-l...rvices-spaces/

https://conferenceservices.carleton....ichcraft-hall/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 7:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

This is now McMaster University's tallest building, 12 storey, the Peter George Centre for Living and Learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

10/23/2019 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 2:18 AM
BANNED

https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content...pective_en.pdf

I haven't read this yet, but this is what the Auditor General has said about Laurentian University and their bankruptcy.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content...pective_en.pdf

I haven't read this yet, but this is what the Auditor General has said about Laurentian University and their bankruptcy.
There are a couple of quotes in that report that I want to bring out.

There seems to be some mismanagement at Laurentian, and the document also suggests some conflict of interest towards the end.

Quote:
As a result of Laurentian’s consistent lack of co-operation and delays in allowing us our normal unfettered access to documents and people ...
Quote:
... there is an expectation from the public that it provide transparency and accountability about its finances and activities. Despite that, Laurentian’s President and Board of Governors (Board), guided by external legal counsel, implemented unprecedented restrictions on our access to Laurentian’s information. The senior administrators put in place protocols that discouraged staff from speaking freely with us or providing our Office with unfettered access to documents and information without fear of reprimand. These restrictive protocols created a culture of fear surrounding interactions with our Office that put further pressure on the university and its staff.

... our Office faced an unprecedented legal pushback from Laurentian, including a challenge to the Auditor General Act. The university also resisted voluntarily complying with Speaker’s Warrants, issued by the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in December 2021, compelling the release of information requested by the Standing Committee on Public Accounts.

In spite of these impediments, our Office consulted with many dedicated faculty and staff who provided us with whatever information they could to allow us to conduct our work. As a result of the Legislature’s efforts, we were ultimately given access to thousands of university documents and emails. However, our ability to talk freely with certain past and present staff continues to be difficult.
Quote:
... we determined that the primary cause of the university’s financial deterioration from 2010 to 2020 was its pursuit of poorly considered capital investments. It proceeded with expansion projects without procedures in place requiring senior administrators to make a reasonable assessment of the value and viability of the plans, or to fully consider the risks associated with a rapid growth in debt. We also found there was poor management of the university’s financial affairs and operations, exacerbating the situation.
Quote:
We believe Laurentian did not have to file for CCAA protection; it strategically planned and chose to take steps to file for creditor protection in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on February 1, 2021. As Laurentian’s financial situation grew increasingly dire, the university did not follow the normal broader public sector precedent by making comprehensive and clear efforts to seek financial assistance from the Ministry. It instead focused on advocating to elected officials and their staff, on the advice of external consultants
Quote:
As of March 3, 2022, the university had incurred legal and other financial consultant fees associated with its insolvency of more than $24 million.
Quote:
We found significant deficiencies in the activities and governance of Laurentian’s Board of Governors and its committees.
Quote:
... the university did not follow the normal broader public sector practice of first making efforts to work collaboratively and transparently with the Ministry to secure government-backed financial assistance.
Quote:
As noted, weaknesses in the Ministry’s approach to overseeing universities in Ontario prevented officials from fully recognizing and addressing the serious financial issues facing Laurentian.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectionNorth View Post
There are a couple of quotes in that report that I want to bring out.

There seems to be some mismanagement at Laurentian, and the document also suggests some conflict of interest towards the end.
Indeed.

It seemed the University - once it realized the magnitude of its problems - decided on a course of action that would attempt to minimize the negative press (CCAA disclosure is limited) and expedite the process of slashing costs with fewer legal repercussions, regardless of the appropriateness of that process.

Anyway, the train wreck was coming to anyone who was mildly paying attention, regardless. I lay the blame at the feet of Dominic Giroux, the former President of LU from 2009-2017. During his tenure, LU had shiny-thing syndrome which led to large ill-fated plans with minimal justification (Architecture School in the architectural desert of Sudbury?). Mr. Giroux has failed upwards by the time the chickens came to roost to the CEO position of the local hospital. I eagerly await the disaster he will lay on his successor there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Man, who would sign up to begin classes at that Laurentian University not knowing if their program will be worth anything after studying there for possibly years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, I see that Ryerson University has been officially renamed to Toronto Metropolitan University.

Bland, inoffensive, generic, pedestrian, uninspired, safe.............

A name clearly chosen by committee, designed to be as invisible as possible. They have succeeded, almost beyond measure.

I suppose it could have been worse. It might have been named Toronto University #3 or something similarly meaningless.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:08 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, I see that Ryerson University has been officially renamed to Toronto Metropolitan University.

A name clearly chosen by committee, designed to be as invisible as possible. They have succeeded, almost beyond measure.

I suppose it could have been worse. It might have been named Toronto University #3 or something similarly meaningless.
As a resident of a smaller city, I feel triggered by the word "Metropolitan" in the name. I believe that it will cause harm to rural peoples. Indeed, people will die from the hate caused by this name.

I would have preferred something like "University No. 3 of Toronto Oblast," or something else more inclusive. As an anti-metropolitan activist I am going to drum up grassroots support ("grassroots"--the clue's in the name!) to march en masse to The School Formerly Known as Ryerson to topple whatever statue or monument they will undoubtedly erect over the bodies, histories and narratives of rural peoples who have been destroyed by multicultural cosmopolitanism.

This injustice will not stand, man.

Last edited by rousseau; Apr 26, 2022 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agreed. The injustice to rural folk attending this institution will be almost beyond measure.

As a denizen of a smaller city myself, and especially because I grew up in PEI, i feel personally offended. The triggering is kicking in - I can feel an asthma attack coming on.........

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I wonder how much that just devalued a degree from the university formerly known as Ryerson?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I wonder how much that just devalued a degree from the university formerly known as Ryerson?
What happens to people who are in the university now just about to graduate? What will their degree say? Employers etc may not know what Toronto Metropolitan University is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada