HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Considering that the main hitch in the plan is that each province has to approve of such changes individually, and it must be unanimous for the country, why can't each province also decide whether to keep the monarchy for them individually as well?
That would require a constitutional amendment, which would require all provinces to agree.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 7:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
When the queen dies we simply permit the position to go vacant. The Governor General handles all the required functions anyway.

We stop inviting the royals for official visits. That removes all the drama associated with that family from impacting Canada.
So, basically, we just ghost them, brilliant.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 1:41 PM
The New Republic

In an officially multicultural state with 3 founding people (French, English, Aboriginal) having an English monarch is a non-starter. Aren't we really just waiting for Betty to pass before cutting the umbilical chord? As a Canadian, my focus is on building an inclusive, unified Canada with no ethnic pecking order. This is NOT an English country. The monarchy MUST go but fine with waiting till after she dies.

Last edited by isaidso; Dec 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 2:05 PM

I don’t think there has been a monarch with a drop of English blood since Elizabeth I. William will be the first in over 400 years. It is basically a German monarchy with the odd Scottish or Danish person in the family tree.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I don’t think there has been a monarch with a drop of English blood since Elizabeth I. William will be the first in over 400 years. It is basically a German monarchy with the odd Scottish or Danish person in the family tree.
Doesn't Elizabeth II have "English blood" via her maternal grandmother?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Doesn't Elizabeth II have "English blood" via her maternal grandmother?
Yeah you’re right.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In an officially multicultural state with 3 founding people (French, English, Aboriginal) having an English monarch is a non-starter. Aren't we really just waiting for Betty to pass before cutting the umbilical chord? As a Canadian, my focus is on building an inclusive, unified Canada with no ethnic pecking order. This is NOT an English country. The monarchy MUST go but fine with waiting till after she dies.
I don't see how ditching the Monarchy would remove an "ethic pecking order" from Canada. The head of state would still alternate between English and French. Only way it wouldn't would be if we made it an appointed position a'la the GG, but then we're not making the country any more democratic.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Not sure the demographics of this forum have changed.
I think the outcome of the poll would be different today regardless of demographic similarity. With everything that has happened over the past 10 years (the mess involving Harry/Meghan, the Prince Andrew thing, Barbados leaving, Charles now very close to becoming King)...I'm thinking this would all influence the results.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The new republic would be the successor of the Crown.
There is no guarantee that First Nations would recognize that as a legitimate succession, especially if they're not included in the process. Each First Nation has its own understanding of the treaty relationship and the role of the Crown therein, which may not align with Canada's interpretation. It is my understanding that this relationship has a fairly significant personal dimension to some groups. Two of Canada's three Chapels Royal have strong ties to the Haudenosaunee, for example, who also commemorate their relationship with the Crown during Bread and Cheese Day celebrations on Victoria Day (at least at Six Nations).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I think the outcome of the poll would be different today regardless of demographic similarity. With everything that has happened over the past 10 years (the mess involving Harry/Meghan, the Prince Andrew thing, Barbados leaving, Charles now very close to becoming King)...I'm thinking this would all influence the results.
It's not ditching the monarchy that's the problem per se.

It's what to replace it with and the constitutional wrangling that involves (see: Meech Lake/Charlottetown Accords) that are the issue.

Most of the posters here who are "pro-monarchy" understand this.

Last edited by thewave46; Dec 6, 2021 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 2:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

THE BARBADOS EFFECT? Why Canada shouldn't cancel our Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzHfUe-V30

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
There is no guarantee that First Nations would recognize that as a legitimate succession, especially if they're not included in the process. Each First Nation has its own understanding of the treaty relationship and the role of the Crown therein, which may not align with Canada's interpretation. It is my understanding that this relationship has a fairly significant personal dimension to some groups. Two of Canada's three Chapels Royal have strong ties to the Haudenosaunee, for example, who also commemorate their relationship with the Crown during Bread and Cheese Day celebrations on Victoria Day (at least at Six Nations).
Well, since the Crown would no longer exist in Canada, the alternatives would be to make the treaties null and void, or the First Nations seeking to somehow make the British Crown liable for all the treaty obligations. I can see them tempted by either of those options.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Anyone thinking becoming a republic will be smooth sailing with Indigenous people is clueless.

It'll make Meech Lake look like a walk in the park.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 6:51 PM
ハルウララ

Opinion: Popularity of monarchy and Royal Family sinking fast in Canada
Mario Conseco
Feb 28, 2022

A review of the way Canadians feel about the monarchy has become an annual tradition at Research Co. and Glacier Media. We usually tackle this task in the last days of February, asking questions about Canada’s Constitution, individual members of the Royal Family and the future.

When we compare the results of this year to previous iterations, some fluctuations are particularly remarkable. For starters, the favourability rating of all the members of the Royal Family is lower now than last year. Queen Elizabeth II is regarded positively by 64 per cent of Canadians, down six points since 2021.

In seven different surveys conducted since 2007, the idea of Prince Charles as King has never been endorsed by more than one in four Canadians. This year’s total of 17 per cent is the lowest recorded on this question and down five points since last year.

Practically half of Canadians (49 per cent, up four points) now say that their preference when thinking about Canada’s Constitution is to have an elected head of state, while just 21 per cent (down three points) favour keeping the monarchy in place.

Quebec is home to the lowest proportion of Canadians who would like to see the country remain a monarchy (14 per cent). The numbers are only marginally better in Atlantic Canada (17 per cent) and British Columbia (20 per cent), and slightly higher in Ontario (23 per cent), Alberta (29 per cent) and Saskatchewan and Manitoba (31 per cent).

Attachment to a Canada that features a monarch is low across the political spectrum. Less than a third of Canadians who voted for the Conservative Party of Canada (28 per cent), the Liberal Party of Canada (25 per cent) and the New Democratic Party (NDP) (20 per cent) in last year’s federal election openly endorse the status quo.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 3:00 AM

No surprise at all. I've heard suggestions of replacing the British monarchy with some sort of Indigenous-based symbolic leadership. Not hereditary but appointed and with powers of one person of something similar to the GG along with a small group of representatives. Not everyone on it has to be Indigenous but it would follow certain customs.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
No surprise at all. I've heard suggestions of replacing the British monarchy with some sort of Indigenous-based symbolic leadership. Not hereditary but appointed and with powers of one person of something similar to the GG along with a small group of representatives. Not everyone on it has to be Indigenous but it would follow certain customs.
Wouldn't the challenge with this be to create something which is reflective of all indigenous customs, rather than just those found in a specific part of the country (such as the Iroquois)? There is significant difference between the customs of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis, let alone the different nations which comprise each of those groups.

Then again, creating a new form of governance based on white people's interpretation of indigenous culture would be fitting for this country.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Wouldn't the challenge with this be to create something which is reflective of all indigenous customs, rather than just those found in a specific part of the country (such as the Iroquois)? There is significant difference between the customs of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis, let alone the different nations which comprise each of those groups.

Then again, creating a new form of governance based on white people's interpretation of indigenous culture would be fitting for this country.
There are definitely some things that are pretty common among almost every Indigenous culture here but it would take agreement if something did happen. The British monarchy is weird and complicated and not everybody in the lands they oversee are the same.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Makes more sense to have the Governor General be a rotating position among the members of the senate. The senate then becomes a community of elders. Reword the selection process for senators around ingenious values and customs.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 7:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

They got rid of the monarchy in 1649, but it didn't work.
The queen is more stable than most of the people in Canada (i.e. see trucker's protest).
Be careful what you wish for.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 8:02 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I think what would likely happen is that the monarchy will still be in place, only it'll likely be our own (meaning main line of the House of Windsor won't be lording over the country). Whether it'll be an offshoot of the House of Windsor or something completely new, well I can't say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada