HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 6:42 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That's great to hear you're getting better Doady, I look forward to your next photowalk and what will come of it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:58 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. 2020 was a weird year with the pandemic and the lockdowns, and one day I wake up in bed with what turned out to be a broken shoulder for seemingly no reason, and things started to spiral out of control from there. My mind is clear again so things starting get back to normal these past few months. First time in years I started listening to new music and playing video games again, and I even bought a Switch a few months ago and I already have a bunch of new games on the shelf.

Hopefully the doctors will also allow me to ride a bike again but I will probably to have to do some maintenance because it has been just sitting there too long. Apparently I had the bike all decked out with bell and lights in late 2019 and the city has been building bike paths everywhere the past few years too so time to take advantage.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingGuy View Post
I'm getting back into fitness after a year of basically doing nothing for exercise. Last year I was in really good shape (6 days a week, 50% cardio), and then fell off the wagon after new years. Now I'm getting back into it after noticing the negative physical and mental effects of longterm sedentary habits. Day 1 was swimming - felt exhausted afterwards, but glad to get back into it.
3 month update.

Aside from a brief break when I got COVID last month, I haven't skipped a single weekday otherwise.

The difference in how I feel has been pretty stark. Most notably has been my mental well-being.

I work for myself and have OCD, so stress/anxiety is something I have to constantly monitor and manage.

I didn't realize this at the time, but prior to exercising I spent a lot of time in my head with own thoughts (I also work from home usually, which adds fuel to the fire).

Now, I can honestly say that I'm calmer and more relaxed than I've felt ... ever? And the positive impact it has had on my life has been tremendous. And it gets me out of the house first thing in the morning, and talking to some real people. Much more effective than SSRIs, which I stopped taking 10 years ago.

My main goal now is to not let the habit slide, because I don't want to return to where I was before. Every time I quit in the past resulted from me being too competitive with myself - I constantly kept trying to up the game, but then it becomes more and more to manage, reaching the point of unsustainability. This goes great in the beginning, I see a lot of results really quickly, until at some point something breaks and the habit is ruined as a result:
- I get injured
- I get sick
- Vacations/holidays
- Work gets extremely busy

This time around I've completely changed my approach. All that matters is that I wake at 5am every single weekday, and show up at the gym, which is only a 5 minute walk from my house. When I get there I know which muscle groups I want to focus on that day, and I do whatever my body can manage that day. Then I go home eat whatever amount of food my body can take that day. Later I'll make myself a protein shake and have some healthier snacks throughout the day.

I have found this approach is still getting me results, albeit slower than in the past, BUT it's much more manageable and something I can actually sustain indefinitely, since I'm not pushing myself to exhaustion everyday.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 2:48 PM
arf

Damn I love music and sound. Even when you suck at it, it is nice just to make sounds. So much fun.

Got a new chorus pedal...
https://soundcloud.com/homeinmyshoes...social_sharing

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:15 PM
arf

I've been having a lot of fun the last week taking two pedals and coming up with something from that each night.

A few of the oddities that came out:

SoundCloud Link
wild strawberrry: Alexander - Sugarcube -> Wampler - Ethereal

SoundCloud Link
light chrome green: Tech 21 - Blonde -> Empress - Tremolo 2

SoundCloud Link
periwinkle: Walrus Audio - Fathom -> Subdecay - Tremcoder

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Damn I love music and sound. Even when you suck at it, it is nice just to make sounds. So much fun.

Got a new chorus pedal...
https://soundcloud.com/homeinmyshoes...social_sharing
Kinda reminds me of "Vapour Trail" by Ride, which is good!

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 7:42 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Kinda reminds me of "Vapour Trail" by Ride, which is good!
Thanks. I have certainly had a lot of shoegaze and dreampop influence from a variety of bands these days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada