HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:56 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Ah yeah, I forgot about that. But still, that was a decade ago. Time for another semi-big name act.
Dancing Gabe.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:57 PM

CFL streams are on presently, Lions and Riders will be on tonight

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
CFL streams are on presently, Lions and Riders will be on tonight
I watched the first half of Bombers/Elks yesterday, I was impressed with the streaming service, they did a good job with it. Is there any reason they don't just use YouTube, though? It's the simplest and most accessible platform.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 1:12 PM

https://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/vie...bf7205ae5655db

Lions President Duane Vienneau was on with Moj and Giulio on the Training Camp report (AM730). Some notes:

* Said their season seat sale is going well but didn't reveal a number. Goal was to double the season ticket numbers over 2022 which they're going to fall a bit short of, but happy with where they are.

* Their goal is to sell out the lower bowl every game, regardless of the opponent. Then if they sell out the lower bowl, then work on opening the upper deck and sell more and more.

* Introducing the Quarterback Club in which youngsters can bring a parent and be all in at $200 for the season. The twist is that the tickets will be in the child's name.

* Every game will have a theme. The Saskatchewan Rivalry Game will feature two tailgate parties - one for Rider fans and one for Lions fans (I believe this is where the pumpkin smash will be held).

* Will be closing off Beatty Street for select games (about 3-4). Challenging to get permits from the City of Vancouver for this.

* 'Concert and Kickoff' for the home opener was referenced but still no official announcement. Vienneau said it will be every bit as big as last year's, but was mum on details.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 1:23 PM
arf

That was the Riders first preseason victory since 2014? Wow.

The CFL needs to update stats and stuff on their website for preseason games.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:54 PM

Quote:
The last time they had Argos on the chest was in 1989-90 when Harry Ornest owned the team. I think they even referred to themselves as the Toronto Argos before going back to Argonauts when McNall & Co. took over in 1991.

I'm not a fan of going with derivatives of your nickname (like the NHL jerseys that say 'Canes' or 'Bolts'). Would be better to just use 'Argonauts'.
I meant Argonauts/Argos interchangeably, as opposed to "Toronto". Normally home jerseys have the team name, and away jerseys have the city name. Now none of their jerseys say "Toronto".

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 3:36 PM

^ They have had Argonauts on the away jersey somewhat recently, back when they used the wordmark on the front below the collar. It was a lot less prominent then, though.

The Argos seem to go back and forth on the Toronto/Argos/Argonauts thing on the front of their jerseys...

At least "Argonauts" makes it clear what it is... the previous jersey they were using had to be the most nondescript jersey in recent CFL history. I mean, look at this thing... who in their right mind would have paid $150 for this?

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:34 PM

just got on my facebook feed Blue Bombers offering friends and family pricing. 4 tickets 4 hotdogs and chips, 4 pepsi and a parking pass all for just $97 bucks for all games this year outside of banjo bowl. Great value and good way to get parents to bring kids to the game. I also like BCs idea of the $200 QB club where kids get ticket in their name and get to bring the parent.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:40 PM

^ That Bomber family pack for $97 is the best deal in Winnipeg sports, and I dare say it may be the best sports deal in all of Canada relative to cost/benefit.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
just got on my facebook feed Blue Bombers offering friends and family pricing. 4 tickets 4 hotdogs and chips, 4 pepsi and a parking pass all for just $97 bucks for all games this year outside of banjo bowl. Great value and good way to get parents to bring kids to the game. I also like BCs idea of the $200 QB club where kids get ticket in their name and get to bring the parent.
That's a fantastic deal! Are those seats located in the corner upper deck or in the family endzone?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
That's a fantastic deal! Are those seats located in the corner upper deck or in the family endzone?
P7 seats, upper deck corners. So not the greatest seats but still decent, and if you plan ahead early enough you might be able to find some seats down low.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
P7 seats, upper deck corners. So not the greatest seats but still decent, and if you plan ahead early enough you might be able to find some seats down low.
i would rather have seats up there than in the endzone as I can actually tell how much yardage each team has gained on each down so that's preferable.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
i would rather have seats up there than in the endzone
I'm the same, for CFL. The people who have "endzone" seats don't seem as interested in what happens on the field too (at least at THF, where one end is a "bar" and the other basically a party zone)

I've sat at the end of the rink for hockey and I don't mind that at all -- watching a play develop from that angle is interesting.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:53 PM

I usually end up sitting in the end zone for Bomber games about once a season and I don't mind, but yeah, I wouldn't want to be there on the regular. I've always found it kind of strange that the Bombers price the end zone seats higher than some of the sideline seats...

I find that end zone seats work better in the NFL where the field is shorter.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:47 PM

LL cool J announced as Lions performing act for home opener. Bombers suspend Kenny Lawler for 2021 DUI

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
LL cool J announced as Lions performing act for home opener. Bombers suspend Kenny Lawler for 2021 DUI
Wow, LL Cool J. Nice. That's better than the Grey Cup halftime show in Regina last year

As for Kenny Lawler, I wonder why the suspension. That charge is old news, it happened when he was still a Bomber the first time around. I mean, they went out and took him back from Edmonton knowing all about this. So what's the issue?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:46 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/02/a...ftime-concert/

Alouettes ownership signals that it’s not business as usual with Our Lady Peace halftime concert

For the rest of the CFL-loving country, announcing a well-known halftime act may not sound like a big deal. But when both the Montreal Alouettes and legendary rock band Our Lady Peace jointly announced last week that the group would be performing during the team’s home opener, it was a game-changer.

For years, all we’ve heard about the team is that they’re losing money. While the product on the field has been relatively stable, we’ve seen quite a few owners and team presidents come and go.

So when the Als made it public that they had procured a legitimate headliner to help entice fans to pack the first home game, I decided to dig a little deeper. How did this come about? Whose idea was it? Are more acts on the way? For that matter, what other changes should local fans expect?

What became clear in speaking with new Alouettes’ president Mark Weightman, who has been on the job barely two months, is that it’s no longer business as usual.

“The idea to do something big at our first game came from the top. Mr. Peladeau wanted to create something special for Week 1 and show that things are changing,” explained Weightman, who’s in his second stint with the club.

How much have things changed? Weightman and his team were advised to contact the entertainment division of Peladeau’s Quebecor conglomerate and see what acts might be available for the first game, June 10 at home versus the Ottawa Red Blacks. That’s right, the Alouettes now have access to additional divisions and resources to get the job done. For a team that was under league stewardship mere months ago, that’s a far cry from what we’ve grown accustomed to.

For their part, the Raine Maida-led Our Lady Peace has been around for over 30 years, with more than five million albums sold and four JUNO Awards won. They plan on doing something very special at halftime on June 10.

“I never would have said yes to something like this years ago, due to wanting to have control over everything. But I’ve evolved and we’re really excited for this opportunity. We want to make the most of our time and do something more than just 3-4 songs. You might hear a medley. We’ll see,” explained Maida, who grew up playing running back.

“I didn’t see the link between sports and our music when I was younger the way I do now. So this is new. My mother was born in Montreal and I love the city, I love performing there.”

On the Alouettes’ side of things, you can’t help but wonder if the team hired the band to covertly attract more fans from Ottawa to make the less-than-two-hour trip to try and make sure their home-opener is a sellout. In other words, if Montreal was hosting Edmonton, would they have still brought a band of this calibre?

Either way, Weightman says that incredible efforts are being made to reinvigorate the overall Percival Molson Stadium experience.

“It’s been a sprint to try and get things ready for this season. Mr. Peladeau wanted to make many changes for the better, including installing a brand-new scoreboard. It won’t be ready for Week 1, but fans will see it this season.”

As for other special acts, Weightman indicated that Alouettes fans in attendance will be treated to a special Cirque Du Soleil spectacle at the half on July 30. The team will also be featuring local musical artists as part of pre-game festivities.

In addition, the team will be revamping other stadium amenities and experiences for 2023, including adding more turnstiles to get fans into the stadium quicker, introducing 18 new food items (including an Alouettes beer), and more tailgating activities on the mountain outside the stadium.

“Fans were complaining that the Italian sausages disappeared. Well, we’re bringing them back, among other new items,” Weightman shared.

Tickets start at $27 for the June 10 home opener versus Ottawa and Our Lady Peace concert. But could we see Raine Maida and Our Lady Peace performing at other CFL stadiums this season, or even at the Grey Cup?

“Sure. Why not. I’m open to all of it.”

Great. Who’s going to start the petition?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
eh, that's OK I guess. But we are talking about an act who was popular in the 80s/90s. It reminds me of those promotions the Esks did a few years ago bringing in the likes of Salt N' Pepa, Vanilla Ice which really didn't draw any additional fans to Commonwealth.

It's a step down from One Republic last year - an act that is actually relevant and popular in the present.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:13 PM

Hope Tyrrell Pigrome makes it as Bombers backup QB ahead of Dru Brown. Guy has explosive speed and a good arm kinda a Kyler Murray Lamar Jackson hybrid.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Hope Tyrrell Pigrome makes it as Bombers backup QB ahead of Dru Brown. Guy has explosive speed and a good arm kinda a Kyler Murray Lamar Jackson hybrid.
I agree -- he reminded me a bit of Darian Durant the way he is solid on his feet, and then takes off downfield while shedding tacklers along the way. Pretty impressive performance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada