HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:09 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
An ICE version of many of these electric cars would be nice - a V8 Tesla Model S?!
Technically those already exist. In the form of the BMW M550i, M5, M850i, and M8 and the Audi RS6, RS7, and S8 and the MB AMG E63S and S580, and the Lexus IS500, although the latter is more Model 3 sized.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I like this just announced Cupra Raval:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...oad-going-form
Cupra is the one brand that I wish we had in Canada....

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:28 PM

I have a "reservation" for the ID Buzz. Can't wait to see it here. We have to decide between that or the Cybertruck for our next vehicle. Quite the comparison, I expect their pluses and minuses to be dramatically different from each other.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 6:49 PM

I love the look of the Buzz. Reminds me of the old "VW Fast":

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:29 PM
recession proof

Both are big heavy vehicles. CyberTruck is 231 inches long, 84 inches wide - and looks like a nightmare to drive.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Both are big heavy vehicles. CyberTruck is 231 inches long, 84 inches wide - and looks like a nightmare to drive.
Cybertruck dimensions are very similar to the F150. Rear turning wheels should help quite a bit with maneuverability.

ID Buzz is about 1.2m shorter than the CT. The US model will be a bit longer though.

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 2:04 AM
recession proof

Spotted in Waterloo: a Model Y with license plates MUSKDOGE.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 11:10 PM

Not a sterling review of Vinfast in Car & Driver:

...In the VF8's logbook, one driver compared the sound of the windshield-wiper motor to that of a 1979 Jeep CJ-7's. We speculated on the odd whirring noises that periodically emanate from behind the dash—is someone firing up an electric leaf blower in there? The steering has a ton of friction on-center, and the power-steering motor is cheap enough that you can feel the steps in its windings if you slowly turn the wheel at rest. The suspension is way underdamped, delivering a bounce-house ride. Clues abound that this car was rushed to the U.S.—when the climate control boots up, the temperature reads in centigrade and then flickers over to Fahrenheit, and the head-up display settings permanently depict a hypothetical left-hand turn onto Nguyen Chi Thanh Street in Hanoi.

Even in areas where VinFast did a solid job, the company tends to undermine itself. For instance, that highway-assist system—and every other nanny, including a speed-limit tattletale—is activated by default each time the car is turned on, and all together they bring with them a never-ending onslaught of chirpy electronic recriminations no matter how carefully you drive. You have to deactivate those systems via the 15.6-inch touchscreen, which is also used to assign the left-hand steering-wheel toggle switch to different functions, such as adjusting the outside mirrors or moving the steering column. Precisely no one prefers this setup to actual dedicated physical controls, but we understand VinFast had to keep an eye on the price. On that subject, see also: the VF8's "vegan leather" a.k.a. vinyl, non-branded sound system that constantly emits white noise..

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 11:13 PM

The Vinfast VF8 is being skewered by reviewers.

Road and Track: "VF8 is unacceptable"
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-unacceptable/

Car and driver: "VF8 Proves that building cars is hard"
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Motor Trend: "Return to sender"
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Not much of a loss. I'd be more upset if they were taking a risk by introducing a sedan or wagon to the market. As it is, just another mediocre CUV.

EDIT: wow, beaten by 3 minutes!

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 11:23 PM
你的媽媽

Not surprising. We saw early signs of this with the initial launches and unveilings. This is probably going to set them back in the US market 5-10 years, if not permanently.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 12:52 AM

I've seen quite a few Rivians lately, just the other day at Granville Island saw two of them about 6 vehicles apart leaving. Quite nice.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I've seen quite a few Rivians lately, just the other day at Granville Island saw two of them about 6 vehicles apart leaving. Quite nice.
There's one or two in my neighbourhood. It's nice to see them and know parts of them are made locally! (They have an office in Yaletown doing software development)

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Cybertruck dimensions are very similar to the F150. Rear turning wheels should help quite a bit with maneuverability.

ID Buzz is about 1.2m shorter than the CT. The US model will be a bit longer though.
The centre of gravity is probably lower too because of the battery. If so, that would also help make it easier to drive.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
There's an interesting story surrounding that song:

https://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewto...=red+barchetta

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:36 PM

Rowan Atkinson isn't impressed with today's EVs.

PS Who knew Mr. Bean had a degree in electronics engineering and a Masters in controls?!

I love electric vehicles – and was an early adopter. But increasingly I feel duped
Rowan Atkinson
-Sadly, keeping your old petrol car may be better than buying an EV. There are sound environmental reasons not to jump just yet

Electric motoring is, in theory, a subject about which I should know something. My first university degree was in electrical and electronic engineering, with a subsequent master’s in control systems. Combine this, perhaps surprising, academic pathway with a lifelong passion for the motorcar, and you can see why I was drawn into an early adoption of electric vehicles. I bought my first electric hybrid 18 years ago and my first pure electric car nine years ago and (notwithstanding our poor electric charging infrastructure) have enjoyed my time with both very much. Electric vehicles may be a bit soulless, but they’re wonderful mechanisms: fast, quiet and, until recently, very cheap to run. But increasingly, I feel a little duped. When you start to drill into the facts, electric motoring doesn’t seem to be quite the environmental panacea it is claimed to be.

....if you zoom out a bit and look at a bigger picture that includes the car’s manufacture, the situation is very different. In advance of the Cop26 climate conference in Glasgow in 2021, Volvo released figures claiming that greenhouse gas emissions during production of an electric car are nearly 70% higher than when manufacturing a petrol one. How so? The problem lies with the lithium-ion batteries fitted currently to nearly all electric vehicles: they’re absurdly heavy, many rare earth metals and huge amounts of energy are required to make them, and they are estimated to last upwards of 10 years. It seems a perverse choice of hardware with which to lead the automobile’s fight against the climate crisis....

....But let’s zoom out even further and consider the whole life cycle of an automobile. The biggest problem we need to address in society’s relationship with the car is the “fast fashion” sales culture that has been the commercial template of the car industry for decades. Currently, on average we keep our new cars for only three years before selling them on, driven mainly by the ubiquitous three-year leasing model. This seems an outrageously profligate use of the world’s natural resources when you consider what great condition a three-year-old car is in. When I was a child, any car that was five years old was a bucket of rust and halfway through the gate of the scrapyard. Not any longer.....

Unsurprisingly, a lot of effort is going into finding something better. New, so-called solid-state batteries are being developed that should charge more quickly and could be about a third of the weight of the current ones – but they are years away from being on sale, by which time, of course, we will have made millions of overweight electric cars with rapidly obsolescing batteries...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rowan-atkinson

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 8:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Of course he's absolutely right but he's also not saying anything unique or groundbreaking. We already knew that there was a higher embedded carbon footprint from from the manufacture of EVs but it's lower in the overall life cycle. We also already knew that the best things for the environment are to drive less and to simply replace an ICE vehicle with an EV at the end of its life cycle rather than doing it early. And we already knew that EVs aren't an environmental panacea and are simply much better than ice vehicles.

The fact that he felt duped by this discovery goes to show that many people, including highly educated ones, seem to be misled by the rampant greenwashing surrounding EVs to the point that they feel let down when faced with reality. But having an alternative that is better overall during its life cycle is something to feel positive about. But of course if you get a 50% pay raise, you won't be nearly as pleased about it if you initially thought it was 100%. Over promising leads to disappointment even if what you're delivering is solid.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:55 PM

The ID Buzz has arrived at my local VW dealer. There seemed to be lots of interest. Good looking people hauler with way more personality than your average X-over/minivan. So great to see cloth seats returning to cars! I never understood the fetish with leather/faux-leather seating.

[IMG]IMG_4056 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photo

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:05 PM

No talk in here of the GM announcement that all their EV cars will be running on the Tesla supercharging system. That's now Ford & GM who will be switching over to Teslas North American Charging Standard (NACS). Starting in 2024 Ford and GM EV's will be able to use all Tesla superchargers in North America. The 3 companies make up 3/4 of the EV market in North America. I would expect VW, Honda and Hyundai to make similar announcements in the near future bringing it close to 100%.

Thankfully Tesla plans to double their 12,000 North American chargers in the next year to make room for the added company.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/9/23...cs-ccs-gm-ford

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:12 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4163...8192?entry=ttu

I noticed yesterday that this old Infiniti dealer in Oakville is now a "Vinfast" dealer - good luck to them!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The ID Buzz has arrived at my local VW dealer. There seemed to be lots of interest. Good looking people hauler with way more personality than your average X-over/minivan. So great to see cloth seats returning to cars! I never understood the fetish with leather/faux-leather seating.

[IMG]IMG_4056 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photo
Personality? Sure. Good looking? Eh....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada