HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Nope, the old Grand River Railway ran along what is now the Iron Horse Trail and terminated at the Seagram Distillery off of Caroline Street. The final section was street-running as can be seen in the picture below. As far as I know, this spur was only removed in the 90s.

http://www.railpictures.ca/wp-conten...2-1280x839.jpg
Yes, I have memories of trains there (along with the heady aroma of that area between Seagrams and the Labatts!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:14 PM

Four of Ottawa-Gatineau's six bridges. From near to far, the Portage (1973), Chaudière (1919, with some foundations left from the original 1827 bridge), Prince of Wales (railway bridge built in 1880, abandoned since 2005) and Champlain (1928, third lane added in 2002).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/El0txj0X...name=4096x4096

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^nice. Is there a demand to bridge the southern branch of the St Lawrence from Ile d’Orleans, effectively building a third crossing, allowing people from the south shore to access Quebec City from the east?
My thinking as well.
But it is true that the residents are vehemently opposed to suburbanization (who can blame them? If I were to live near QC, Ile d'Orleans would be very high on my list, as it is an absolute gem of a place).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 5:16 PM

Ottawa's Alexandra Bridge is set to be replaced sometime in the next 10 years and the NCC wants to hear from you. What do you love about the old bridge? Your concerns during contraction? What should a new bridge include (or not include)?

Some of us hope that the new bridge does not provide space for private vehicles and instead reserves those two lanes for a tramway loop between the downtowns of Ottawa and Gatineau. The Feds are doing an overall review of interprovincial mobility, which could include an additional bridge in the east end. This new bridge would remove heavy truck traffic through downtown and re-distribute car movements thus reducing detours through the centre of the city.

Alexandra Bridge, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada by Alex Grégoire-Denicourt, on Flickr

[IMG]Alexandra Bridge in Ottawa by lerdley, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Alexandra Bridge viewed from Parliament Hill by nabobswims, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:48 PM

This was an unexpected surprise. Toronto's new Cherry Street Bridge has arrived in the portlands.

Built in Nova Scotia and shipped here up the St Lawrence. It's the first of several.

posted on urbantoronto.ca by: Forum contributor globalexpress and achender

In total there will be 3 sets of spans with this design scheme.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Nov 10, 2020 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:27 PM

1 of 6 in it's final resting position.

Bridge to the future by CJ Burnell, on Flickr

Here it was leaving Dartmouth N.S last month.

source: https://ontarioconstructionnews.com

and a few random shots.

source: https://www.canadianconsultingengineer.com

source: https://prnewswire2-a.akamaihd.net

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 9:33 PM

^ Great archive Drew! I love the illusion that the struts are just cables in pics where the bridge is seen from the side view.

I'll just add the colour palette for the Cherry South and Commissioners.

BTW the future Phase 2 for Cherry South and Commissioners will twin those bridges like Cherry North (Commissioners is also a longer double span design).

Link

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 9:30 PM

The City of Ottawa will launch an environmental assessment to convert a long neglected railway bridge into a multi-use pathway (MUP) for pedestrians and cyclist. The bridge was originally bought by the City in 2005 with the idea of eventually linking the O-Train to Gatineau. This is not "officially" off the table, but it makes it more difficult (though it might be hard to make it railway ready anyway considering its age and condition).

The estimated cost for the MUP is $10 million, and the City expects this to be an easy shovel-ready project for a upcoming Federal stimulus fund, hence why they are now moving on the studies to make this project "shovel-ready".

So here's the the Prince of Wales Bridge and its fantastic views of downtown Ottawa.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...e-ca512fdca2c1

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:47 PM

I feel like a fool but how is this the first time I'm learning of The Gordie Howe International Bridge in Windsor? A video popped up on Youtube yesterday after I watched some BMI stuff.

Anyway, if I'm not the only one here it is.
source: https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com

Cable-stayed design

Six-lanes: three Canadian-bound, three US-bound

height of Piers: 200m/ 722 ft

Total length: approximately 2.5 kilometres / 1.5 miles

Clear span of 853 metres / 0.53 miles - the longest main span of any cable-stayed bridge in North America

No piers in the water

One approach bridge on each side of the crossing to connect Ports of Entry in Canada and the US

Once complete, the Gordie Howe International Bridge will be among the top five longest bridges in North America.

A dedicated multi-use path that will accommodate pedestrians and cyclists

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:53 PM

MacDonald Bridge Halifax

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:55 PM

Nice picture.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I feel like a fool but how is this the first time I'm learning of The Gordie Howe International Bridge in Windsor? A video popped up on Youtube yesterday after I watched some BMI stuff.

Anyway, if I'm not the only one here it is.
source: https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com
I understand that this bridge would have been built years for now if it hadn't been bogged down by Matty Moroun, the late owner of the apparently extremely lucrative Ambassador Bridge, who is none too thrilled about losing his bridge monopoly in the Detroit-Windsor corridor. I'm not sure what impact if any his death earlier this year has had on all of this.

This bridge is being paid for by Canadian authorities (some combo of Ottawa + Ontario + ???) to alleviate the trade bottleneck at that port of entry.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I understand that this bridge would have been built years for now if it hadn't been bogged down by Matty Moroun, the late owner of the apparently extremely lucrative Ambassador Bridge, who is none too thrilled about losing his bridge monopoly in the Detroit-Windsor corridor. I'm not sure what impact if any his death earlier this year has had on all of this.

This bridge is being paid for by Canadian authorities (some combo of Ottawa + Ontario + ???) to alleviate the trade bottleneck at that port of entry.
Ironically he passed away recently. Legend has it that even his son just wanna get the bridge out of the asset because of the bad name.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:06 PM

This one should be quite far along by now. I saw the working drawings about 3 years ago. And they were already starting the piers. The total project is massive. New interchanges on both sides. I believe the biggest customs clearance and inspection buildings along the boarder.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 7:09 PM

My 3 favorite bridges in Canada {in no particular order| are Vancouver's Burrard, Lion's Gate, and London's Blackfriars.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 8:58 PM
A Better Place

The Deh Cho Bridge over the Deh Cho (Mackenzie River) in the NWT is one of my favorite Canadian bridge:

https://www.torys.com/work/2008/02/deh-cho-bridge

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 9:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

His death was mostly irrelevant in the scheme of things. By the time he died, his legal avenues had been exhausted and even his attempts at PR had failed.

I think the bridge and ports of entry are being paid for by the Federal Government of Canada. Ontario was responsible for the highway approaches. The cost of the bridge is to be recovered by tolls, so taxpayers aren't on the hook as much.

A long overdue project IMO and one that should make Windsor more pleasant by removing the lineups of tractor-trailers that lined Huron Church Rd.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 10:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The Deh Cho Bridge over the Deh Cho (Mackenzie River) in the NWT is one of my favorite Canadian bridge:

https://www.torys.com/work/2008/02/deh-cho-bridge
me too, this one is great.

My overall favorite has to be this bad-assed Montreal bridge:

wookie

Along with this peerless bridge (well, almost, the Firth of Forth Bridge in Scotland is superb, and bears a very close resemblance), Pont de Quebec:
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:41 PM

Never though of posting this one until hipster_duck commented on a skyline post.

Minto Bridge, Ottawa. Linking Lowertown, Green Island, Maple Island and New Edinburgh. Built in 1900.

https://twitter.com/WakanowGhana/sta...31914577047552

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/...ontario/minto/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada