HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:14 PM
Community Guy

^not mutually exclusive.

Was in the works, this just accelerated it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Was in the works, this just accelerated it.
Yeah, I think everyone knew where this was going once the Eskimos started using "Empire" liberally. The trademarking of the name made it very clear what the team intended to do.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah... it is interesting to think that if one cop hadn't grossly overreacted to some guy in Minneapolis trying to pass a bad cheque, the Edmonton Eskimos would still exist.

But either way, if the name didn't change this year it would have probably changed sometime soon. It has seemed inevitable for at least the last 5 years.
You can't fight the sea change, whether I personally agree with it or not. Might as well get on with it and come out of the other side looking a little progressive and innovative. Everyone knows the CFL has a bit of an image problem with the larger cities and sticking with the name against a tsunami of online criticism doesn't help.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:29 PM

Federal government offers high interest loan, CFL believes it would put league in worse position moving forward

The Canadian government has strings attached to its financial aid offer to the CFL.

The three-down league asked for help during the COVID-19 pandemic and it appears one option has been crossed off the list.

According to TSN reporter Dave Naylor: Sources say the federal government has offered to help the CFL with a short-term loan, at a high interest rate and fees. League believes taking that kind of loan would put them in a worse position going forward.

Winnipeg has tentatively been chosen as the hub city. However, all along the CFL has said all along it would need financial support from the feds for it to happen. Without the money the league would have to explore whether it’s worth the investment from owners to take the field in 2020.

It doesn’t appear there will be any decision on a shortened season this year today.

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/31/f...oving-forward/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:10 PM

^ No decision is a decision. Unless a sugar daddy swoops in with a sack of cash, the 2020 season isn't happening.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:10 PM

The league has no way in hell of ever paying back any sort of loan the league should stop wasting its time on this year and try and rebuild a new and better CFL for 2021.Take this dog to the pound already and put it out of its misery.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:50 PM

Rod Pedersen just reported on his show today that MLSE not the Federal government nor the NFL will provide the CFL with the needed cash infusion to survive the Pandemic and that Ambrosie will stay on as commish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLugWd2nCo

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:02 AM

Heard that as well.
If no playing this year all contracts are null and void (as per the CBA).
This will allow a major reset of league business model. High end guys will take a hair cut, but maybe will allow the rookies to make a little more.

We shall see how this works out.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Rod Pedersen just reported on his show today that MLSE not the Federal government nor the NFL will provide the CFL with the needed cash infusion to survive the Pandemic and that Ambrosie will stay on as commish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLugWd2nCo
I hope this sets the eventual CFL take over by MLSE. CFL owners almost took the rope to themselves and MLSE came and bailed them out. I've never been a fan of the CFLs governance structure and this is another example of the how the small league gets exposed to be taken over and hijacked by a few dumb owners.

Getting back to MLSE, the CFL helps them to grow thier stable. MLSE mused a European soccer club a few years ago but that didn't go anywhere. It would make sense to just take over a large Canadian sports entity to shore up everything locally.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:04 PM

CFL is just as bad as MLB governance wise and just as short sighted. MLSE needs to run the CFL like Dana White does the UFC one voice one boss one vision. Get the geezers like Braley out of BC out of the league already quit dragging their heels and start a modern business model that is stable and can actually grow revenue streams for all 9 clubs.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:40 PM

All the issues are pretty much discussed here

Naylor: Guaranteed contracts could be a major sticking point in a potential CFL season
AJ and Dean are joined by TSN CFL and football insider Dave Naylor to take a look at if a CFL season will happen and what needs to occur for a season to happen.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 6:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:15 AM

Report: Government denies CFL's request for $30M loan

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/cfl...?ocid=msedgntp

The Canadian federal government has denied the CFL's request for a $30 million interest-free loan, according to Dave Naylor of TSN.

The loan would have been used to put on a shortened 2020 season in the wake of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

It is unlikely the CFL will be able to play a 2020 campaign without government assistance, Naylor added. The league found out the government wouldn't be approving the funding on Friday.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:27 AM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:57 AM

Okay, 2020 is done. All contracts are null and void now.

Time for the big reset in the business model of this league and in a sense of football across Canada. Minor-Junior-University-CFL need to have a campaign plan for kids to have a path to playing in the pros if they so choose.

The CFL also needs a comprehensive PR plan to reconnect to Canadians of all ages and backgrounds.
Canadian football is a fantastic game, we need to celebrate and not apologize that it isn't the game played down south.

Lets hope that with MLSE's help the CFL can come back stronger than ever.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:24 AM

I've seen a few mentions of MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment?) over the last few months. I must have missed something; how are they involved?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I've seen a few mentions of MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment?) over the last few months. I must have missed something; how are they involved?
They own the Argos.
There are some very credible reports that short of buying the entire league they'll become the central hub for marketing and future direction of the league. One of the biggest failings of the CFL is its inability to speak with one voice and agree on the future direction of the league.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:33 AM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
They own the Argos.
There are some very credible reports that short of buying the entire league they'll become the central hub for marketing and future direction of the league. One of the biggest failings of the CFL is its inability to speak with one voice and agree on the future direction of the league.
It would be a good asset to own for MLSE and if the Corp has larger sports/events aspirations you may as well go for the low hanging fruit and fortify the Canadian portfolio.

You can make money with the CFL as a business, individual team concept is hit or miss as some teams will bleed money but overall you can centralize costs and build efficiency to make the business turn a healthy profit. The CFL office, from my understanding, makes money.

Off topic - CFL may think it's worth $1.5 billion but truth is you could probably buy it for $250 million.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
They own the Argos.
Thanks for that.

I'm not very well versed in the CFL's structure, but the disorganization of the league is something I've picked-up on reading the thread.

It's a little strange to me that MLSE would be interested in purchasing the league considering the Argos' popularity/attendance is the lowest in the league, no doubt because TO already hosts all but one major leagues. Which brings me to my second point; there's been talk of the TO joining the NFL over the last few years (main condition seems to be a $1B+ publicly funded stadium, of course), so would MLSE's purchase end that "dream"? Is MLSE even ever mentioned as the possible franchise owner for the NFL?

Side note, I would much prefer that TO not join the NFL. Black mailing cities and states, often financially struggling cities and states, into building billion dollar stadiums for 8 games a year is beyond ridiculous. Yes, others teams do it, but in the case of the NHL, the building can easily be used 100+ times a year and CFL stadiums are a bargain compared to NFL (not to mention, the CFL is not a huge revenue generating machine and much more affordable to the masses).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada