HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:15 PM

Highpoint’s going to go back to the drawing board and will “get it right” by further blowing us out of the water. So exciting and worth the wait. I’m hoping it’s something more loft style like what was originally drafted(sort of remai modern gallery style drafted by KSA if i remember right?).

Bumping the cam:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:59 PM

I think IF...and I concede it is a big IF....that the economy continues to show growth and that we do get a successful/effective vaccine by early 2021...I honestly believe Highpointe will proceed.

The developers are not fly by night, or even worse North Prairie....so I think if there is legit opportunity they will proceed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I think IF...and I concede it is a big IF....that the economy continues to show growth and that we do get a successful/effective vaccine by early 2021...I honestly believe Highpointe will proceed.

The developers are not fly by night, or even worse North Prairie....so I think if there is legit opportunity they will proceed.
This might belong in another thread but I too am optimistic it will eventually happen. My theory... they will put parking in podium and maybe simplify floorplans and amenities, then come back to market (if there is a robust recovery) in a year or two at a lower $/ft^2. Lets see how long the sales room stays on site...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:11 PM

Something to think about - Nutrien’s currently in an 11 story building, this one is 18 40 years later? Chances of them upgrading again in 40 years is high with the way fertilizer demand is, so we probably won’t see Saskatoon’s next tallest tower until 2060

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:08 PM

=I strongly believe that the next "tower" Saskatoon will get will be mixed-use, whether that be at the next River Landing parcel or across from the Bes. Although, I do think that the CBD could use some new Class A office space.

Would love to see main floor retail/a restaurant/bar of some sort, followed by 4-6 floors of commercial, then with residential on top of that...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
Just out of curiosity, and assuming that Highpointe proceeds as planned at 17 floors, has anyone figured out its relative prominence on the skyline, being positioned on the higher east bank of the river? I would anticipate that it would be at least as tall as RL’s Nutrien tower, if not even more visible from most vantage points outside of the city limits.
Interesting question... I have no idea how accurate this map is but it shows a 500m elevation line running right through the Highpoint site, and a 480m line crossing Spadina Cres right in front of the East Tower.

Given that Nutrien Tower is approx 87m and Highpoint (at last proposal) is approx 67m, they would reach to approximately the same height above sea level. All numbers approximate of course.

https://elevationmap.net/saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

The Luther tower at 22 stories and on a hill on the higher east side of the river has long been Saskatoon’s highest point, though not the tallest building. I experienced that first hand when I went off the roof and down the side on a rope in the first Easter Seals Drop Zone in Saskatoon about 13 years ago.

I don’t think it will be challenged by either Nutrien tower or HighPoint (if built).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
The Luther tower at 22 stories and on a hill on the higher east side of the river has long been Saskatoon’s highest point, though not the tallest building. I experienced that first hand when I went off the roof and down the side on a rope in the first Easter Seals Drop Zone in Saskatoon about 13 years ago.

I don’t think it will be challenged by either Nutrien tower or HighPoint (if built).
I googled Luther Tower and learned that the battle over building it went to the Supreme Court! While I recall the controversy and the construction of the tower (am I giving my age away?) I did not remember that part.

The only height I could find is an estimate of 78m. A 510m elevation line runs right through the site. So it is 20m or more higher than Nutrien Tower and the fabled Highpoint.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:18 PM

Has the highest set of columns gone up yet? I'm referring to the south east corner of the building, where the Nutrien logo is set to go.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Has the highest set of columns gone up yet? I'm referring to the south east corner of the building, where the Nutrien logo is set to go.
Nope. The structural steel for the top of the building should be starting this week, depending on wind conditions.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 3:48 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:04 PM

You can see from the webcam that there's now some structural steel erected up top on Nutrien Tower. Not a bunch, but at least it's started.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:04 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:07 PM

Just starting to peer over the skyscrapers in my view. I hope the steel goes higher than what they’re assembling right now so that it fully covers the concrete!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:00 PM

My friend and photographer Bob Holtsman captured a couple sweet shots of River Landing last night--not sure the best way to share them, but here are the links to his instagram posts:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVusnnnuI7/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVsVlrnh-1/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:49 PM

Great photos....such a dramatic change to that piece of real estate!!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:15 PM

I assume the steel frame that can be seen from the live cam is for mechanical equipment only. What material is going to go around it? The same glass as the rest of the building?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:22 AM

^^^^Yes, the curtainwall goes full height supported by the steel framing. The top of the Nutrien Tower will look very much like the top of the East Tower.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:56 AM

here’s the MVA design from a few pages back. Still a few metres to go i think?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
here’s the MVA design from a few pages back. Still a few metres to go i think?
Basically another two meters higher and that’s it. The steel you see on the web cam is the top of the west side. The east side will be about two meters higher than the top of the west side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan