HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:48 PM

I live in the neighborhood between Thomas and Oak, from 46th - 48th ST, right behind the Costco. It has been amazing seeing how this neighborhood has grown and improved incredibly. I have lived here since 1997. The values have always done nothing but gone up....thus why we call ourselves Arcadia Light....or wannabe. LOL

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:15 PM
Modulator

This discussion should get moved to the general discussion thread. It's not development related.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:17 PM

That's really turned into a great neighborhood. Lots of mid-century gems in there. I remember when that whole part of town was not great, when LGO opened is about when it started to turn for the better.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
No, it's inaccurate marketing by realtors, adapted with exuberance by those who are not from Phoenix or who lived their lives in the suburbs and are thus not aware of already-existing, defined communities . . . gentrification creeping towards MY community at 24th Street and Osborn does not suddenly transform the community identity from The Phoenix Homesteads into The Biltmore or Arcadia . . . regardless of property prices! These different neighborhoods have unique histories that kind of gets lost in misidentifying them as "Arcadia" when they are NOT even if the architectural style of the remodeled homes and new builds is similar. Arcadia homes are on LARGE irrigated lots - that's specifically part of the appeal of that neighborhood . . .

I would add that you would definitely need to be an "actual millionaire" to purchase in Arcadia today - listing prices there are nuts!
Absolutely disagree kev, “Phoenix homesteads” does not have any identit outside of your head and the 4 other people that even know what that is, 24tg street and Osborn will be either absorbed by Arcadia or Biltmore via identity

It is not unique, nor old enough, nor storied enough to have an independent identity. It already does not age one as I live 2 miles away and have literally never heard of “Phoenix homesteads”

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:59 PM

Girls, you can't all be right, but you're all pretty.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Girls, you can't all be right, but you're all pretty.
Hood fights are my FAVORITE fights. FIGHT!!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:43 PM

Does anyone know the results of the meeting on Aug 4th for Moon tower?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
you're all pretty.
Aw, thanks man!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 9:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Does anyone know the results of the meeting on Aug 4th for Moon tower?
I posted the documents from my records request on the previous page, but I think everyone would rather talk about Arcadia. Not sure about the meeting results, but they are usually posted a day or 2 after on the City of Phoenix website. As of now, I don't see anything posted.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's really turned into a great neighborhood. Lots of mid-century gems in there. I remember when that whole part of town was not great, when LGO opened is about when it started to turn for the better.
LGO is at 40th St and Campbell and is miles and miles from this area he was discussing.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I posted the documents from my records request on the previous page, but I think everyone would rather talk about Arcadia. Not sure about the meeting results, but they are usually posted a day or 2 after on the City of Phoenix website. As of now, I don't see anything posted.
Thanks Crested , that's how I knew about the meeting from the documents you posted. I will check the cities website.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Absolutely disagree kev, “Phoenix homesteads” does not have any identit outside of your head and the 4 other people that even know what that is, 24tg street and Osborn will be either absorbed by Arcadia or Biltmore via identity

It is not unique, nor old enough, nor storied enough to have an independent identity. It already does not age one as I live 2 miles away and have literally never heard of “Phoenix homesteads”
Congratulations on your ignorance! So you have never heard of the Phoenix Homesteads but simultaneously somehow conjured the knowledge that it's "not unique, nor old nor 'storied'" lol - these observations are a combination of factually incorrect and subjective opinion. - However, you are missing the point of my post.

The Phoenix Homesteads (whether or not you've ever heard of it) has a very unique history and why it qualifies for historic designation but that aside - there is no reason to shed this identity because of real estate marketing.

"Built from indigenous materials (i.e adobe, a mix of mud and straw) as a WPA project during the Depression, Phoenix Homesteads is the only neighborhood of adobes in Phoenix."

http://www.phoenixhomesteads.com/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-cbt/31431797/

https://www.historicphoenix.com/hist...oric-district/

A neighborhood, be definition, must meet these factors to qualify for historic district designation so . . .

Other examples would be Cheery Lynn, Loma Linda, Green Gables, Biltmore, Coronado - they all have their own identities.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Getting away from this ridiculous conversation for some development news.

Here's what we got with Moon Tower:

Officially, this will be multi-family, primarily geared towards student housing. So a Meow-Wolf is now out unless True North has another location in mind. But I have a feeling with the state of things and rumors I have been reading regarding Atari, I feel we will be losing both of these for the time being, but I digress. Back to Moon Tower. Proposed height would be 250'. The building adjacent to the South would be demolished for more room. Floor count is 22 with 5 levels of parking. Looks like only 1 retail spot with a possible coffee shop. Developer is still True North.

Here's renderings:

Read full documents from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Bn?usp=sharing
Not bad! I hope we start seeing some movement on other projects soon! Is there a timeline for this?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:40 AM
Skyriser

This neighborhoods discussion has gone on too long. No more.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:09 AM

Cest fin!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This neighborhoods discussion has gone on too long. No more.
Preach it!!!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:39 AM
Skyriser

They really gotta do a 24-hour diner in one of these student developments. Does that area of downtown need another coffee shop?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your post about Moon Tower, Crested! Kind of disappointed we may not get Meow Wolf anytime soon, but that's the economy we live in. Still looking forward to more highrises surrounding the Arts District.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM. Reason: We are no longer discussing neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:34 PM
Skyriser

What part of this neighborhoods conversation being over is not clear?

The next person who continues it here will get suspended.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

Mod laying down the law

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest