HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 6:31 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks guys... and no, I can't do Nordstrom yet, not enough to base a drawing on.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Thanks guys... and no, I can't do Nordstrom yet, not enough to base a drawing on.
that rendering cant be topped haha, just a quick question how specifically tall did you make it in ft?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 1:06 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

1500... however, I didn't make it that tall because I felt like it... whoever is in charge of the database decided upon that number, but I don't know who that is. It's just an estimate of course, and will change I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 2:03 PM

Incredible diagram, great job! I like this building, I don't know where any of the uneasiness from people is coming from.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 2:57 PM

if the tower gets approved will construction start nex year?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 9:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Incredible diagram, great job! I like this building, I don't know where any of the uneasiness from people is coming from.
The "uneasiness" comes from the crapiness of the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1998 View Post
if the tower gets approved will construction start nex year?
No.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:39 AM
Everywhere all at once

My favorite, perhaps my only favorite feature of the tower is the glass crown with the observation space within. The rest of the tower...needs to be refined, I think. This site presents a great opportunity to utilize some setbacks, to perhaps mirror/pay homage to the Chrysler Building just opposite it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:31 PM

honestly i still got my money on it being taller than 1600ft

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 3:19 AM

^I hope you're right, but it would be pretty hard to do that with 65 floors.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 10:57 PM

yeah thats true,you never know though it could change

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
^I hope you're right, but it would be pretty hard to do that with 65 floors.
I hardly think it would reach that high, but it wouldn't be hard to do at all. Add a spire to Hudson Yards north tower, and it could easily reach that heigh, with a similar amount of floors. As it is, I expect it to be between 1,450 to 1,500 ft, enough to at least be on par with the Empire State on the skyline, if not taller.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Another piece of business to be resolved soon...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...NION/131109897

Council must rezone midtown east now
The time is right to update the office stock in midtown east. Delaying the rezoning could be costly for the city's commercial growth.

By Robert D. Yaro
November 8, 2013

Quote:
The area around Grand Central Terminal is the heart of commercial life in New York City. For a century, businesses and residents have been drawn to its professional opportunities, dynamic atmosphere, and great transportation options.

Yet because of outdated zoning, many buildings there seem frozen in an earlier era. Their interior columns, low ceilings, and outmoded infrastructure deter potential tenants, while crowded sidewalks and subways frustrate residents and commuters.

The City Council will vote this month on a Bloomberg-administration rezoning proposal aimed at allowing some new development in the neighborhood. The plan isn't perfect; financing mechanisms need to be ironed out. But the council would be wise not to let this opportunity lapse.

The plan won't bring a wrecking ball to the district's prized architectural gems, which are deservedly protected under landmark laws. It is likely to generate fewer than a dozen new buildings over two to three decades. Most will be built, appropriately, on corners and facing avenues.

Still, it's fair to ask why midtown east, already a vibrant jobs center, needs more development. The rezoning addresses a critical need for office space. Businesses are moving toward open floor plans and amenities that the area's dated structures lack. Without modern options, midtown east will lose companies to other locations and cities, and continue to decline. Rezoning would enable it to replenish its building stock, as cities from London to Chicago to Tokyo have.

The proposal would benefit New Yorkers in other ways. The sale of air rights to developers would fund public-space improvements. Indeed, midtown east can't wait for projects years from now to alleviate pedestrian crowding. That's why the city has agreed to provide funds up-front to do things like add new entrances and exits at Grand Central, widen sidewalks and create open space.

Some people have questioned the necessity of adding midtown east office towers when new space is emerging in lower Manhattan and Hudson Yards. But the Independent Budget Office has projected enough demand for office space over the next 30 years to support new development in midtown east, Hudson Yards and the World Trade Center site. What's more, these locations are distinct from one another—a business drawn to Hudson Yards isn't likely to seek space downtown. And the construction will play out over several decades, with almost no new projects able to get underway until 2017.

It makes sense to concentrate development in a part of the city with excellent transit and decent airport access, so that job growth can occur in an environmentally sustainable way.

New York didn't become a magnet for culture, commerce and entrepreneurialism by resisting change. It can continue to be a beacon for innovation only by remaining open to revitalization. The rezoning will preserve midtown east's cherished structures and spaces while allowing it to prosper in the decades to come.

Robert D. Yaro is president of the Regional Plan Association.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:48 PM

Seems like the midtown rezoning will pass.....but will have to wait till next year.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...t_rezoning.php

Quote:
The City Council will vote on the controversial Midtown East Rezoning tomorrow and, according to Councilwoman Gail Brewer, there will not be enough votes for it to be approved. (This does not necessarily mean that the rezoning is dead; it may simply be amended.) Apparently, Mayor-Elect Bill de Blasio concurs. His team just released a statement, confusingly titled "Statement from Mayor-Elect Bill de Blasio on today's Midtown East Rezoning vote," that reads:

For the sake of New York City's long-term economic vitality, Midtown East should be re-zoned to allow the creation of a world-class 21st-century commercial district. But it needs to be done right.

We cannot afford to hand over the right to develop some of the most valuable real estate in the world without ensuring real and fair benefits for the people of New York City. We need to address the many unanswered questions about this plan, including how to build the infrastructure needed to accommodate the additional density created by the rezoning, and how to ensure that new development rights are appropriately priced to create the best possible value for the City.

I applaud the City Council for pressing the pause button in order to ensure these concerns are adequately addressed. We must continue this process in earnest upon taking office, and I commit to presenting a revised rezoning plan for the area by the end of 2014

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it looks like the De Blasio plan will have to move forward. I don't think the people who were against this will like it anymore than the did this one. I also think they will be shocked that a De Blasio rezoning will include more potential for rezoning.

http://observer.com/2013/11/mayor-bl...last-rezoning/

Mayor Bloomberg, Real Estate Industry Denied One Last Rezoning

By Kim Velsey and Jill Colvin
11/12/13

Quote:
Mayor Bloomberg and the City Planning Commission have presided over 123 rezonings, covering some 11,500 blocks since 2002. But despite his best efforts, ardent appeals and the real estate industry’s incredibly enthusiastic support, Mr. Bloomberg will not get his 124th.

The City Council has rejected the mayor’s late-breaking, potentially legacy-burnishing and incredibly ambitious plan to rezone the 73 blocks around Grand Central, a plan that would allow for the construction of modern, soaring skyscrapers in the heart of the city’s central business district.

Late this afternoon, officials announced that they had failed to reach a deal–despite fervent, last-minute efforts by the Bloomberg administration.

“Creating new jobs in East Midtown – and across all of New York City – is essential. We can and should do more with the commercial corridor around Grand Central … However, a good idea alone is not enough to justify action today,” City Council Speaker Christine Quinn and local Councilman Dan Garodnick said in a joint statement. “We should rezone East Midtown, but only when we can do so properly. After extensive negotiations, we have been unable to reach agreement on a number of issues in the proposed plan.”

Community members heralded the decision to table what they referred to as a rushed proposal—Lola Fineklstein, the chair of the multi board task force on Midtown East wrote in a statement that “This is how the public process is designed to work. The Council recognized what New Yorkers across the city felt: this proposal simply wasn’t good enough.”

The real estate industry was, unsurprisingly, displeased with the decision.

The New York Building Congress also released a statement saying that it was “extremely displeased that one of the most far-reaching rezoning proposals in the City’s history is not moving forward at this time.”

“For New York to remain a global capital, it needs to regenerate its office stock and remain attractive to a variety of national and international businesses. The area surrounding Grand Central is one of the most highly accessible districts in the world and a perfect location for new Class A office space.”

However, Mr. Garodnick emphasized that he and the Council were not opposed to a rezoning; they simply wanted to a better, more well thought out plan. Among the changes Mr. Garodnick said he would like to see were “a more robust infrastructure and public realm program,” changing the fixed air rights pricing to pricing that “addresses differences in geography or time” as well as further study of “the proper level of density of Midtown East as compared to other commercial districts in the city.”

Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio, who quickly praised the Council’s decision in a statement, vowed to present a revised plan for the area by the end of next year.

“For the sake of New York City’s long-term economic vitality, Midtown East should be re-zoned to allow the creation of a world-class 21st-century commercial district. But it needs to be done right,” he said not long after the decision was announced publicly, pointing to the same concerns about infrastructure and development rights.

“I applaud the City Council for pressing the pause button in order to ensure these concerns are adequately addressed,” he said, vowing to formulate his own vision for the city after he takes office on January 1st. ”We must continue this process in earnest upon taking office, and I commit to presenting a revised rezoning plan for the area by the end of 2014.”

http://politicker.com/2013/11/city-c...sios-blessing/

Quote:
Mr. Bloomberg reacted to the news with surprising optimism–but nonetheless noted the move would cost the area hundreds of millions of dollars worth of infrastructure improvements and $1 billion in lost tax revenue.

"Due to a lack of City Council support, we are withdrawing the application for the rezoning of East Midtown. This will unfortunately cost the area hundreds of millions of dollars in badly needed subway and street improvements and $1 billion in additional tax revenue – as well as tens of thousands of new jobs that would have been created. Throughout the lengthy and extensive public review process – which unfolded over the course of two years – we have worked with community leaders and elected officials to develop a modest proposal that would allow for a handful of sites to be redeveloped into modern office space, with developers paying into a fund that would support upgrades to the transportation network and open space in the area. We also worked closely with religious institutions in the area, and the proposal earned their support, providing them with a new funding source to maintain their iconic landmarked buildings.

We have a financing agreement in place to pre-fund $100 million in mass transit and public space improvements before any new development could begin, but that funding was predicated on future development, which now will not occur. The inability to reach a consensus on the plan’s details is regrettable, but it was encouraging that nearly everyone involved in the process recognized the need for the area to be rezoned to ensure that it remains competitive with other business districts around the world, and we appreciate the time that Speaker Quinn, Council Member Garodnick, and Council staff put into this issue. We are glad to at least be leaving the next administration a blueprint for future action.”

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:29 AM

That sucks. Hopefully it will pass next year, under DeBlasio.

Seems like nothing is every easy re. NYC development battles. It's like a bloodsport to get something common-sense passed, even if all the parties in the room generally agree the status quo is unacceptable.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That sucks. Hopefully it will pass next year, under DeBlasio.

Seems like nothing is every easy re. NYC development battles. It's like a bloodsport to get something common-sense passed, even if all the parties in the room generally agree the status quo is unacceptable.
That's because the political climate in this city is toxic; there is no room for anyone besides far-left demagogues these days.

Wonder what the reaction will be when/if De Blasio acts on zoning; his constituents this election probably don't realize that he is actually pro-growth, so could see some decent backlash once he puts his 'plans' into action, assuming he actually does have plans...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:40 AM

Upzone all you want, telecommuting, outsourcing, and especially downsizing will continue to make these mammoth office buildings less economical.

For example, all of these new "technology" company start-ups I hear about on the news appear to require very small amounts of office space usually in old brick buildings in Midtown South and Brooklyn.

Hopefully the new rezoning will allow for more mixed used buildings, and focus less on commercial space alone.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:51 AM

I think we just got a taste what's comming for the city from de Blasio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/ny...t-side.html?hp

End of Proposal to Raise Skyline on the East Side

By CHARLES V BAGLI
Published: November 12, 2013

Quote:
Opposition in the City Council and an incoming mayor intent on imposing a more liberal vision have dealt a fatal blow to the Bloomberg administration’s final plan to recast the New York City skyline with a new crop of office towers in East Midtown that would rise higher than the Chrysler Building.

Key members of the Council said on Tuesday that the proposal — to rezone a 73-block area into a district of sleek glass towers that Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said would make New York competitive with London and other world-class cities — would be defeated in a vote later this week; the administration said it would withdraw the proposal, essentially killing it.

“A good idea alone is not enough to justify action today,” the Council speaker, Christine C. Quinn, and Councilman Daniel R. Garodnick, who represents the area, said in a statement. “After extensive negotiations, we have been unable to reach agreement on a number of issues in the proposed plan.”

The startling end-of-term setback for Mr. Bloomberg captured the ascendancy of a powerful liberal bloc in New York politics, and demonstrated just how swiftly his vision of a corporate-friendly government has fallen out of favor in a city that picked Bill de Blasio as his successor just a week ago.

Mr. Bloomberg said he was disappointed at the Council’s failure to support his plan, adding that it would cost the city “hundreds of millions of dollars in badly needed subway and street improvements and $1 billion in additional tax revenue — as well as tens of thousands of new jobs.”

The administration had tried desperately to line up votes for approval in the Council and to convince opponents that the plan had merit. City officials have argued that the key to the city’s future is in its ability to build modern towers in what has been the city’s premiere office district, where the majority of buildings are more than 50 years old.

But Mr. Garodnick and Ms. Quinn, both Democrats, said they were concerned about the price and methodology for selling development rights within the district; building density; and the uncertainty of funding for improvements to the transit system and the streets, which would be filled with many more riders and much more traffic.

But that does not necessarily mean that the area around Grand Central Terminal will not be rezoned in the future, though in a way that is less generous to developers. Mayor-elect de Blasio, a Democrat, said he looked forward to working on a new rezoning plan and praised the Council for “pressing the pause button.”

“We cannot afford to hand over the right to develop some of the most valuable real estate in the world without ensuring real and fair benefits for the people of New York City,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.

Mr. Bloomberg’s rezoning proposals for the districts on the Far West Side of Manhattan, the waterfront in Brooklyn and more than 120 other neighborhoods have passed, but this time he did not have the clout to overcome opposition from four local community boards, preservationists, some civic groups and the hotel workers union.

In part, he is viewed as a lame duck. Ms. Quinn, his once-loyal ally whose close relationship to him haunted her in her losing bid for mayor, had no desire to lift a finger on his behalf before she, too, leaves office in January. Mr. Garodnick, a top contender to replace Ms. Quinn as speaker next year, is seen as being wary of alienating liberal opponents of the plan whose support could prove crucial for him.

The Bloomberg administration had hoped to push the rezoning proposal through the city’s public review process in less than half the time it spent on a redevelopment plan for the rail yards on the West Side. Critics, however, saw the urgency of the mayor’s efforts simply as a desire to expand his legacy. Mr. Garodnick and other critics agree on the need to ensure that construction of new office towers gets underway, but they contend that the hastily cobbled proposal needs more work.

The Real Estate Board of New York, the industry’s lobbying arm, expressed disappointment, saying the proposal would have generated revenue for the city when builders bought development rights for taller towers and created construction jobs.

“The city is losing hundreds of millions of dollars from the private sector for transit and street work, tens of thousands of good paying jobs, and billions of dollars of investment that would pay for services,” said Steven Spinola, president of the group.

Mr. Spinola added that his organization would work with the de Blasio administration to clear up issues.

Some real estate leaders attributed the defeat of the rezoning to Peter Ward, president of the Hotel Trades Council, a union umbrella group that has a good deal of influence in the council. The Bloomberg administration had rejected Mr. Ward’s request that plans for hotels in the district go through a special approval process that has often allowed the union to secure guarantees on wage levels. City Hall, however, failed to get a single community leader, state legislator or council member from the district to drop their opposition.

The local community boards in the Grand Central district had been alienated by the administration’s failure to consult them. They feared that the rezoning would overwhelm the neighborhood and an already crowded transit system with towers twice as tall as is currently allowed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:11 PM

LOL - nothing like misguided fear backed up by no data. I <3 NIMBY's.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:32 PM

A VERY rough draft of a letter I am going to send;

Dear Mr. DeBlaso,

My name is _________ __________ I am a recent transplant to the city, and while I did not get the chance to vote in this previous election, I must say that of all the candidates for mayor, your beliefs align most closely with mine.

This being said, I am extremely disappointed with the inability to pass the midtown rezoning and all the benefits to the city it would have provided. This kind of unfortunate infighting, driven by special interests and frankly, uninformed zealots, is not the kind of government I envision for the city. In fact, it personifies the slow, murky bureaucracy that some of your opponents had warned of during the run up to the election.

Though I was displeased with your predecessor in many regards, he helped to spur tremendous economic development that this city needs. Some say that he moved too fast, but after extensive research into the topic, I think he pushed along projects and plans at just the right speed. He helped encourage an economic and architectural renaissance that continues to this day - a renaissance that you can either help to advance or stifle with NIMBY attitudes and a slow to act, ineffective government.

Now is the time to act, sir. Now is the time to keep the momentum going and encourage the kind of growth that will keep New York City firmly at the center of the world stage. I hope you agree.

Sincerely,

________ __________

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive