https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...hedule-changes

It’s actually hard to summarize.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 10:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Twist to Go Train Lakeshore East Extension to Bowmanville

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Will there be any speed advantage to send some trains via Montreal-Brockville-Smiths Falls- Peterborough-Toronto?
I doubt it, and the trains would suffer from delays from freight trains (unless VIA was able to divert all freight traffic to CPR's Winchester Sub).

Quote:
I expect that the VIA owned track between Smith's Falls and Brockville will not be as heavily used if most Ottawa trains are moved to the new route via Peterborough. I could see the number of trains from Ottawa going via the Lakeshore route to be cut possibly in half. The extra capacity may be re-purposed.
This was posted in another thread, but I thought I would share it here as well. This map was published by Kingston Mayor Paterson on his website. It doesn't show the HFR route, but indicates the number of trains he expects per day in each direction from Kingston after HFR. While it may technically be a reduction, the service will be better scheduled for the needs of the Lakeshore, rather than focusing on the needs of travel between Toronto and Ottawa&Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I doubt it, and the trains would suffer from delays from freight trains (unless VIA was able to divert all freight traffic to CPR's Winchester Sub).

This was posted in another thread, but I thought I would share it here as well. This map was published by Kingston Mayor Paterson on his website. It doesn't show the HFR route, but indicates the number of trains he expects per day in each direction from Kingston after HFR. While it may technically be a reduction, the service will be better scheduled for the needs of the Lakeshore, rather than focusing on the needs of travel between Toronto and Ottawa&Montreal.

Since you already commented here,
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237478 #8

Should the province of Ontario take the initiative then?

I wonder whether any level of government will sit well with the idea that a provincial government will start an HFR service across the province (in this case, between Ottawa and Montreal).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Since you already commented here,
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237478 #8
Post #8 in the linked thread was by SaskOttaLoo, not me, but I will answer anyway.

Quote:
Should the province of Ontario take the initiative then?

I wonder whether any level of government will sit well with the idea that a provincial government will start an HFR service across the province (in this case, between Ottawa and Montreal).
While the Kingston-Toronto and Kingston-Ottawa trains could be operated by the province, as you say Kingston-Montreal is inter-provincial, so that route should be operated by VIA Rail. Also, while Kingston will be the hub, some trains from Toronto may continue on to Ottawa and Montreal (and vice versa) to allow direct service to cities on either side of Kingston (for example Brockville to Toronto or Montreal to Belleville), so some of the trains west of Kingston may be interprovincial.

I also don't trust the province to maintain good service along the line (especially east of Kingston) so I think it would be best done by VIA Rail.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Time to revive the thread. This time it’s a question on Northland Rail.
Since the freight trains are still running anyway, will it suffice to just attach one passenger train to the freights to restore passenger rail between Hearst and North Bay? (In other words, the passenger and freight trains will go together.) I assume there’s at least one round trip per day. In fact, this could even expand passenger service to Rouyn-Noranda.

Also, what are the average speeds of the train between Hearst and Timiskaming Shores and from there to North Bay?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Time to revive the thread. This time it’s a question on Northland Rail.
Since the freight trains are still running anyway, will it suffice to just attach one passenger train to the freights to restore passenger rail between Hearst and North Bay? (In other words, the passenger and freight trains will go together.) I assume there’s at least one round trip per day. In fact, this could even expand passenger service to Rouyn-Noranda.

Also, what are the average speeds of the train between Hearst and Timiskaming Shores and from there to North Bay?
Having mixed (freight and passenger) trains won't happen. It used to be done on the Cochrane to Moosonee route but isn't anymore and that route had no stops along it. (that train will stop anywhere on the track if you flag it down though)

I highly doubt that the Ford government will actually go ahead with passenger rail service between Toronto and Cochrane.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:32 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Why are mixed trains non-starter though? Is there any other reason besides scheduling problems?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 8:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Why are mixed trains non-starter though? Is there any other reason besides scheduling problems?
Sometimes freight rail hauls dangerous chemicals like sulfuric acid and bulk oil. I'm not sure about the Northlander specifically though.

A derailment could be quite dangerous to passengers.

The scheduling is a thing too.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Before: I’m thinking to myself: Metrolinx should just rename the Kitchener Line to Mount Pleasant Line because trains rarely go all the way to K-W. I’m starting to find the name misleading.

Now: https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...hedule-changes

Woah.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2019/09/1...richmond-hill/

Bloomington Go Station taking shape

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Having mixed (freight and passenger) trains won't happen. It used to be done on the Cochrane to Moosonee route but isn't anymore and that route had no stops along it. (that train will stop anywhere on the track if you flag it down though)

I highly doubt that the Ford government will actually go ahead with passenger rail service between Toronto and Cochrane.
I think we would see service from Toronto to North Bay long before it went all the way to Cochrane again.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I think we would see service from Toronto to North Bay long before it went all the way to Cochrane again.
Which is kind of silly since it's the stretch that least needs the train. It has a beautiful 4-lane divided highway and bus service multiple times daily.

It's the sections to the north that probably would require it more - a 2 lane highway that's occasionally closed with less bus service.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Which is kind of silly since it's the stretch that least needs the train. It has a beautiful 4-lane divided highway and bus service multiple times daily.

It's the sections to the north that probably would require it more - a 2 lane highway that's occasionally closed with less bus service.
Well, it is kind of difficult to do Toronto to Cochrane without going to North Bay.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Before: I’m thinking to myself: Metrolinx should just rename the Kitchener Line to Mount Pleasant Line because trains rarely go all the way to K-W. I’m starting to find the name misleading.

Now: https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...hedule-changes

Woah.
Kitchener Line always sounds weird to me too. Even though it is the terminus. When I started taking it, it was the Georgetown Line. Then they changed the name and it sounded weird to me. Anyway, I since changed over to Milton Line and LSW.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.mykapuskasingnow.com/322...eing-unveiled/

My thoughts: Extension to Hearst might be feasible down the road. What about double tracking ONR (for movement of goods) to relieve Highway 11?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:25 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf...chener_IBC.pdf

Initial business case for Kitchener Go Line published this month

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...ault-rail-line

U.S. has approved sale of Huron Central Line.
Sheesh this is such good news. Does anyone know about it? @swimmer_spe, now rerouting Canadian via SSM might not be that far fetched after all (though personally I would like to see Northland take over).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...ault-rail-line

U.S. has approved sale of Huron Central Line.
Sheesh this is such good news. Does anyone know about it? @swimmer_spe, now rerouting Canadian via SSM might not be that far fetched after all (though personally I would like to see Northland take over).
I can't imagine the Canadian being rerouted via SSM. Its current route was picked because it serves communities that don't have roads, and they wouldn't want to abandon them. The Hurdon Central Line largely follows Hwy 17, so they don't have the same accessibility issues.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario