HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Climate Pledge Arena will be hard to beat.
Definitely not a great name, but I don't find it as embarrassing as the other ones.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:51 PM

Progress on Le Centre Slush Puppie. The 4,000 seat arena for the Olympiques should be ready for the 2021-2022 season, while the community rinks should open by January 2021.

https://twitter.com/A_Sanscartier/st...95097009459203

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Slush Puppie Centre? haha. They better sell slush puppies at the concession stands.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:17 PM

^ Hard to imagine that they wouldn't with a name like that!

I'm envious of that rink. Winnipeg was supposed to get a similiarly-sized junior arena for our new WHL team currently playing in a temporary venue, but the timing of the team's arrival was just horrendous with a potential lost season staring them in the face. It's enough to make you wonder if it's actually going to happen.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hard to imagine that they wouldn't with a name like that!

I'm envious of that rink. Winnipeg was supposed to get a similiarly-sized junior arena for our new WHL team currently playing in a temporary venue, but the timing of the team's arrival was just horrendous with a potential lost season staring them in the face. It's enough to make you wonder if it's actually going to happen.
Speaking of Winnipeg and a new sports team, Ottawa will be getting a new baseball team next year. Frontier League, owned by OSEG, the City's partners in Lansdowne Park who own the RedBlacks and 67's, and Sam Katz, owner of the Winnipeg Goldeyes. This will be Ottawa's 4th team in the last 10 years, fifth in the last 28 years.

They'll be playing at RCGT Park, Ottawa's minor league stadium originally built for the AAA Ottawa Lynx (1993-2007).

Although baseball has had a rough time here, this new team will be the first to have convenient access to transit, now that both the pedestrian bridge over the Queensway, and the Confederation Line it reaches, are both open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymon..._Thornton_Park

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

Ugh. First Eugene Melnyk, now Sam Katz. The people of Ottawa have my sympathies.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:33 PM
ハルウララ

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...oposal-opinion

Opinion: Proposed 10,000-seat indoor stadium would catalyze downtown Surrey

The first location would occupy the footprint of the surface parking lot and bus exchange for SkyTrain’s Surrey Central City Station — wedged between Civic Plaza and Central City.

Another site option is located to the north, closer to SkyTrain’s Gateway Station. An arena replacing the BC Lions’ training facility could broaden the recreational and sports hub offering of the Whalley Athletic Park precinct.

The ballpark cost of this indoor stadium is $150 million, but it depends on whether this is part of a mixed-use development or a standalone facility. The parking supply requirements will add another factor to the cost.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:46 PM

^ Interesting concept, but that's a lot of big 5,000-20,000 seat arenas for the Vancouver area? Rogers Arena, Pacific Coliseum, the rink in Abbotsford, the one in Langley, UBC (I didn't know it was that big?), Chilliwack, possibly others... now add Surrey to the mix?

Some of those buildings don't even have major tenants to my knowledge. I wonder if this isn't overkill for the Vancouver area?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ Interesting concept, but that's a lot of big 5,000-20,000 seat arenas for the Vancouver area? Rogers Arena, Pacific Coliseum, the rink in Abbotsford, the one in Langley, UBC (I didn't know it was that big?), Chilliwack, possibly others... now add Surrey to the mix?
Of those you listed i'd probably remove Chilliwack and Abbotsford - neither of which really being in Vancouver. If you remove those (and leave Langley) you're left with four, which isn't that much if you compare to Montreal or Toronto equivalents. Pacific Coliseum, IIRC, is pretty much nearing its last days.

The Surrey proposal seems like a shoe-in for Canucks AHL - nearby, heavy immigrant and minority population, new build.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:54 PM

^ I was thinking AHL too given that for a city of its size, it's a little surprising that Vancouver itself really only has the one hockey team that draws spectators in any significant numbers. There's the Giants but they're really out on the periphery. There has to be a team involved with this project, I can't imagine anyone would build a 10,000 seat rink without a franchise planned for it.

I guess the big difference with Toronto is that to my knowledge, the buildings all have significant tenants. Scotiabank = Leafs/Raptors/Rock, Coca-Cola = Marlies, Paramount = Steelheads, CAA = Beast. With Vancouver that isn't the case.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ I was thinking AHL too given that for a city of its size, it's a little surprising that Vancouver itself really only has the one hockey team that draws spectators in any significant numbers.
I wouldn't consider it surprising in the least, for both the demographic makeup of the area and the general layout of the area, and from what i've heard from locals about the sports culture there.

An AHL team in Surrey probably doesn't blow anyone's socks off but it's better than commuting to and from Utica.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:59 PM

In the Ottawa area, we have three with the 4,000 seat Centre Slush Puppie (opening Fall 2021 replacing Robert Guertin, of the same capacity), the 9,500 seat TD Place Arena and the 18,652 Canadian Tire Centre.

Side note, Melnyk is now musing a new arena in Kanata. No tax payer money required apparently! We've heard that one before

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I wouldn't consider it surprising in the least, for both the demographic makeup of the area and the general layout of the area, and from what i've heard from locals about the sports culture there.

An AHL team in Surrey probably doesn't blow anyone's socks off but it's better than commuting to and from Utica.
I suppose the project proponents must think it's surprising if they're looking to throw down money on a new building to presumably accommodate a new team.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I suppose the project proponents must think it's surprising if they're looking to throw down money on a new building to presumably accommodate a new team.
Perhaps, but I imagine Surrey would also be a half-decent destination for touring acts that perhaps can't fill Rogers Arena for concerts and shows.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:25 PM

Does Pacific Coliseum do any business as a secondary venue for concerts and such?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:29 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Does Pacific Coliseum do any business as a secondary venue for concerts and such?
As of 2017:

“What the Giants’ departure will allow us to do is do more of the commercial type of activity that we do when we don’t have the Giants season on,” she said. “The Giants were never a net revenue generator for the PNE, and so this will allow us to actually generate more revenue from that building.”

"Even with the Giants’ blackouts and game days, the Coliseum is used between 120 and 150 days on average each year. It is one of the busiest venues in North America of its size, and its size fills a certain growing demand in the city for such venues. "

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/paci...ncouver-future

I had forgotten about the 2010 Olympic renovations.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:36 PM

^ Busier than I would have thought... I guess it makes sense why they were OK with the Giants leaving.

Still, adding the Surrey rink seems like it would result in a lot of capacity for a metro that only has one team outside of Rogers Arena that is capable of drawing a somewhat sizeable arena crowd.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:33 PM
ハルウララ

York Lions Stadium (home of York9) is getting some renovations during COVID. Track is being removed and the field being repositioned to better align with the main stand.

https://www.reddit.com/r/York9/comme...of_york_lions/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:44 PM

^ Looks like a pretty big overhaul.

That is such a peculiar little stadium with its tiny upper deck. Canada must surely be a world leader in building the most preciously miniature upper decks at stadiums (York, Molson Stadium, Stade Telus, even Mosaic fits on the list).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
York Lions Stadium (home of York9) is getting some renovations during COVID. Track is being removed and the field being repositioned to better align with the main stand.

https://www.reddit.com/r/York9/comme...of_york_lions/
I thought athletics Canada was going to use that track permanently after the Pan Am games?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada