HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I heard a rumour.

I heard that the Costco in Sudbury is either moving, or a new one is coming. It is supposed to be built in the South End where the Walmart is so they will be able to put in gas pumps. Anyone know if this is true?
I have no factual information, but it seems doubtful based on initial analysis.

Why?

1. A new Costco building costs tens of millions of dollars to construct. The marginal value add of a gas station (especially one that sells low-margin gasoline) would likely not provide enough profit margin to justify a completely new store.

2. A second Costco in a catchment area of ~250,000 people (that's pretty generous FYI) would thin the market hugely. Look at Ottawa-Gatineau as an example - 5 Costcos for a catchment area of close to 1.5 - 2 million people. That indicates to me that there's nowhere near the population required to support a second Costco in the Sudbury region.

Then again there are some in Sudbury who are convinced that IKEA is coming, as if IKEA (which targets stores in metropolitan areas of >750,000) would just plunk millions of dollars into a store 'just because'.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Since we are discussing rumours, has anyone heard any of the rumours about the Eaton's building in Thunder Bay?

I've heard both the insane (an Amazon facility of some sort) to the mundane (main floor marketplace concept).
As long as we're stirring the rumour mill:

Maybe it will be a Costco!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I heard a rumour.

I heard that the Costco in Sudbury is either moving, or a new one is coming. It is supposed to be built in the South End where the Walmart is so they will be able to put in gas pumps. Anyone know if this is true?
That rumour was going around 4 years ago..

The city approved gas pumps for the land behind the south ridge mall back in 2015, and the company who applied for it was Costco. The plan was to build a way bigger store in the south end of the city and to also help the struggling mall, but I was pretty sure they planned on keeping the New Sudbury store

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
That rumour was going around 4 years ago..

The city approved gas pumps for the land behind the south ridge mall back in 2015, and the company who applied for it was Costco. The plan was to build a way bigger store in the south end of the city and to also help the struggling mall, but I was pretty sure they planned on keeping the New Sudbury store
So, we in Sudbury could have 2 Costcos?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
So, we in Sudbury could have 2 Costcos?
I've heard that rumour for awhile but there has been nothing to suggest that Sudbury location is moving or that another location is opening. Sudbury isn't big enough for a second location.

I wouldn't be surprised if Costco moves to a new location in about 10 years if they need a larger warehouse and want to have more things such as a gas station. But they are certainly in a prime location right now.

I do know that development companies for Costco locations will apply for things such as future or prospective locations a number of years ahead so it is possible that applications have been made or proposals put forward for possible future locations. But it doesn't mean that those locations will necessarily be future Costco locations.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:03 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
I've heard both the insane (an Amazon facility of some sort) to the mundane (main floor marketplace concept).
Amazon buys 500,000sqft+ dead malls to convert into facilities. They won't want anything to do with the Eaton's Building.

Honestly, I think it would make a good art gallery, but they're pretty set on the waterfront plan.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:21 PM

THUNDER BAY

Pre-qualifications for general contractors is underway for two larger projects locally; the new Waterfront Art Gallery and the next phase of the Matawa Education Centre project at the former Grandview Lodge.

As for the former Eaton's Building on downtown P.A., I have heard absolutely nothing myself. The building itself has a lot of potential for a phased re-development. I believe the lack of on-site parking will be a deterrent for any large national/multi-national entity entering the building.

Hearing the new owners of the LDI palladium mine are going on a bit of a hiring spree over the next couple months, looking to increase production at their mine north of T-Bay.

A lot of talk that Heddle Marine, owners of the local dry dock, are trying to return ship building to T-Bay, if Heddle were to be allowed to bid and successfully bid on a Coast Guard project for new ships. Federal ship building contracts seem to be rather problematic, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 11:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5261549

Phase of 1 of Maley Drive Extension (Sudbury) is almost ready to go!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5261549

Phase of 1 of Maley Drive Extension (Sudbury) is almost ready to go!
The Maley Drive thing makes many people in Timmins angry. The main reason is because we don't have a bypass or get decent funding for any level of government.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Federal cash may be a fair game now that it’s a liberal minority?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The Maley Drive thing makes many people in Timmins angry. The main reason is because we don't have a bypass or get decent funding for any level of government.
Maybe the feds will kick in money now that Charlie Angus has some sway with the Liberals.

The province is a lost case for Timmins, even moreso now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now I wonder if Kenora will get anything at all, in terms of federal funding.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot it’s a minority government right now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:41 AM
I am a typical

The funding isn't the issue, the land rights are.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This bypass was put in due to the damage the ore trucks are doing to Lasalle. Another thing to consider is Greater Sudbury has a population 3 times s much as Timmins.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:59 PM

THUNDER BAY

Lots of excavation ongoing at the south-east corner of Edward and Redwood. I'm not sure if its just remediation from the gas station that used to be on the site, or if some sort of re-development is imminent. Some site testing/drilling happened earlier this year as well.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 8:59 AM
ARTchitecture

Is the downtown Port Arthur events centre pretty much cancelled now? Was looking for any news about it, couldn't find anything other than a request from the city for millions in upgrades to the 70 year old arena in Fort William... which seems like a really stupid trade off.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
This bypass was put in due to the damage the ore trucks are doing to Lasalle. Another thing to consider is Greater Sudbury has a population 3 times s much as Timmins.
Unlike Sudbury, we have lots ore trucks going right through our downtown! Algonquin Blvd, Riverside Drive along with the rest of Hwy 101 through Timmins have been badly damaged for years.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Unlike Sudbury, we have lots ore trucks going right through our downtown! Algonquin Blvd, Riverside Drive along with the rest of Hwy 101 through Timmins have been badly damaged for years.
You could tell the really good potholes were the ones that would bottom out the suspension, cause your teeth to grind, or the car would catch air.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 9:06 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Is the downtown Port Arthur events centre pretty much cancelled now? Was looking for any news about it, couldn't find anything other than a request from the city for millions in upgrades to the 70 year old arena in Fort William... which seems like a really stupid trade off.
Essentially, yes. It is at best a stale proposal now.

But lately it's been revealed how much of a scam new events centres are anyway, so I'm not sure the political will even exists anymore. We're focusing on an indoor sports-rich-white-people-like facility now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:33 PM

THUNDER BAY

Northern Mat & Bridge has opened an office in Fort William First Nation, and will eventually be developing a production facility somewhere in the Thunder Bay area. The company will employ 75 workers once they get fully settled into the local market.

Heartbeat Hot Sauce is moving into the former North American Lumber location on Vickers St. The company requires more production and warehouse space to serve their growing market share.

Aaron's Furniture is putting on a small addition on Roland St.

Last edited by TbayON; Nov 19, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario