HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 7:20 PM
Great White Norf

I hate to admit this on the Canadian beer thread but lately I've been drinking Miller High Life as my standard beer at home. As I only drink 1 or 2 (and rarely 3) bottles at a time these days, it lasts a while.
It's 42.50/24-pk bottles in Ontario at The Beer Store. I learned recently that the cans are brewed in Canada, but the bottles come from the OG Milwaukee brewery.

120 years of (relatively) inexpensive American beers

The Miller Brewery tour is on my bucket list. You can visit the old beer cave, see the stables, and a sweet looking pub. They apparently give you 5 cups of beer on the tour.
Lots of historic buildings for SSP geeks haha

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Last edited by Wigs; May 27, 2023 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 7:23 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I still love a good IPA but can only drink 1 or 2 nowadays. After that it’s lagers only.

Also I remember you saying you were coming to Toronto at some point - if it hasn’t happened yet happy to recommend some good beer (and other drink type) spots!
I still love New England style IPAs, but agreed on only 1 or 2 pints. Is this what being in your late 30s or 40s is? returning to Lager

I'll have to buy some Moosehead to regain my Canadian status in this thread. Or better yet support my local craft brewery.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:41 PM
sick transit, gloria

IIRC Moosehead is still independent, even if it’s not craft. I actually had a bottle in Costa Rica which was a weird find. High life is a solid drinking beer for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
We still are planning on it. This last year has been one of transition, so we put traveling out east on the back burner until we were all set up.

I'll definitely hit you up for some recommendations, and if possible, I'm always down for meeting up for a drink too.

Awesome! Yeah let me know when you are headed for sure - always down for meeting up for a drink if I’m around.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:05 PM
The New Republic

It may shock Canadians to know that a Canadian beer brand is the #1 beer in the UK and has been for decades. If you go to the UK, you will see Carling everywhere.

Carling O'Keefe was one of Canada's Big 3 Breweries, the other 2 being Molson and Labatt's. These 3 companies controlled 90% of the Canadian beer market well into the 1990s. Carling O'Keefe introduced Carling to the UK, South Africa, and elsewhere in the 1970s. The company was later bought by Molson which, in turn, merged with Coors to become Molson-Coors. You can still buy Carling in Canada but few Canadians under 40 seem to know this brand; Brits and South Africans absolutely do. Btw, 6 cans are only $11.95 at the Beer Store. $2/can is great deal.

Arguably the most famous Canadian beer brand around the world

https://www.joe.co.uk/life/carling-i...uk-pubs-269123

Last edited by isaidso; May 27, 2023 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:27 AM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I still love New England style IPAs, but agreed on only 1 or 2 pints. Is this what being in your late 30s or 40s is? returning to Lager

I'll have to buy some Moosehead to regain my Canadian status in this thread. Or better yet support my local craft brewery.
If you like Moosehead, try an icy cold Alpine! You won't be dissapointed. Solid Lager made by Moosehead.

source

My go to Pilsner/Lager is Fahr Pils, cold as ice. Or HARP

My 100% absolute favorite beer is Super Saturation by Cabin Brewing in Calgary. It's like a NEIPA, but with lots of body.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:48 PM

^ I had a few Alpines when I was in the Maritimes last summer, very enjoyable.

I do recall Carling still being common in Manitoba back in the 80s but somewhere along the way in the 90s it practically disappeared. I usually buy my beer at the MLCC Liquor Marts which admittedly don't have the largest selection, but I don't remember seeing Carling there in a very long time. But then again, I have never really looked for it either. I would buy some next time I see it. Maybe the Beer Store in Kenora has some, I'll pick up a case next time I'm there!

These are really the only three essential beers to me... everything else is just window dressing

For hot days, after vigorous activity, any sort of yard work or sitting outside watching sports in the summer:

To accompany grilled food, sushi or other tasty meals:

Hanging out with the guys in a pub or in the backyard:

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

My Untappd profile is heavily skewed towards IPA's (and not the Keith's IPA variety). The hoppier the better. I tend to be a one pint guy and especially when the driver. I don't think I've willingly had a lager when given a choice since I was about 20.

https://untappd.com/b/brasserie-du-b...-hotel/3123821 I can highly recommend this beer from deepest Gatineau.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 12:26 AM
sick transit, gloria

Brasserie-du-bas has some of the best hazy IPAs in Canada. Up there with Bellwoods, Superflux, Barncat, Messorem, etc.

I still love them, but I also like to be able to crush a decent number of beers on a night out!

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 4:30 AM
Ham-burgher

I never appreciated the IPAs. If I want that kind of taste, I'll chug a grapefruit juice.

What I have come to appreciate more over time are wheat beers. Side Launch (brewed in Collingwood, ON) has an excellent one, as does Muskoka Brewery. There are many others.

In Ontario the LCBO outlets sometimes carry weissbier from Europe (Erdinger and Paulaner are two that come to mind).

I have family whose staple is Miller Genuine Draft. I don't complain if that is offered, but when I bring a nicer 6-pack I much prefer cracking open one of those.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It may shock Canadians to know that a Canadian beer brand is the #1 beer in the UK and has been for decades. If you go to the UK, you will see Carling everywhere.

Carling O'Keefe was one of Canada's Big 3 Breweries, the other 2 being Molson and Labatt's. These 3 companies controlled 90% of the Canadian beer market well into the 1990s. Carling O'Keefe introduced Carling to the UK, South Africa, and elsewhere in the 1970s. The company was later bought by Molson which, in turn, merged with Coors to become Molson-Coors. You can still buy Carling in Canada but few Canadians under 40 seem to know this brand; Brits and South Africans absolutely do. Btw, 6 cans are only $11.95 at the Beer Store. $2/can is great deal.

Arguably the most famous Canadian beer brand around the world

https://www.joe.co.uk/life/carling-i...uk-pubs-269123
Carling is still a pretty big seller in Ontario but it was in the top 10 best sellers until about a decade ago when beer prices rose and there really weren't any discount brands left. Today it costs $42.50 (tax and deposit included) in Ontario for 24 bottles and there are many other brands at the same price.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
If you like Moosehead, try an icy cold Alpine! You won't be dissapointed. Solid Lager made by Moosehead.

source

My go to Pilsner/Lager is Fahr Pils, cold as ice. Or HARP

My 100% absolute favorite beer is Super Saturation by Cabin Brewing in Calgary. It's like a NEIPA, but with lots of body.
I like Alpine. It has been available in Ontario for around a decade.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I had a few Alpines when I was in the Maritimes last summer, very enjoyable.

I do recall Carling still being common in Manitoba back in the 80s but somewhere along the way in the 90s it practically disappeared. I usually buy my beer at the MLCC Liquor Marts which admittedly don't have the largest selection, but I don't remember seeing Carling there in a very long time. But then again, I have never really looked for it either. I would buy some next time I see it. Maybe the Beer Store in Kenora has some, I'll pick up a case next time I'm there!

These are really the only three essential beers to me... everything else is just window dressing

For hot days, after vigorous activity, any sort of yard work or sitting outside watching sports in the summer:

To accompany grilled food, sushi or other tasty meals:

Hanging out with the guys in a pub or in the backyard:

The 710 ml cans of Molson Dry are $3.00 at the Beer Store in Ontario (tax and deposit included) so it ends up being $1.50 per standard 355 ml drink.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:53 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Joe Rogan JOINS THE BOYCOTT!!! It's game over for BUDLIGHT & TARGET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHYERLwIEs

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:08 PM

^seems to be neither Canadian, nor particularly about beer

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:23 PM

I wish there was a stronger boycott happening in Canada so I too could buy a crap-ton of dirt-cheap Bud Light

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:30 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post

source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I like Alpine. It has been available in Ontario for around a decade.
Thanks for the recommendation
Treated myself to a 12pk of Alpine tallboys. The verdict was 4/5 people enjoyed it. My cousin no longer has tastebuds since dating her bf that buys trash like Busch

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:50 PM
Cap the Cut!

What do american beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? They're both fucking close to water. lol. An oldie but a goodie!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
^seems to be neither Canadian, nor particularly about beer
Certainly not about good beer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 9:18 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
I wish there was a stronger boycott happening in Canada so I too could buy a crap-ton of dirt-cheap Bud Light
This has absolutely been the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time, though. Talk about a miscalculation blowing up in your face!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 2:31 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
This man knows how to host a bbq.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada