HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
there is also information that the US did a pandemic test last year and it pointed to what is actually happening. some sub committees are asking for that information. If true I want to see how this gets spun.
An Obama Administration official is saying that he was involved in a tabletop exercise on a pandemic as part of a package of scenarios that they wanted to prepare the Trump Administration for. They discussed pandemics starting in Asia and Europe, efficient transmission, travel bans, lack of lab facilities and ventilators.

He is implying that the impaired response could be a result of high turnover in the Trump Administration losing that knowledge and experience.

https://twitter.com/ChrisLu44/status...791169029?s=09

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I'm assuming Air Canada will rise once it gets a bailout. Its at 25% what it was.
Airline stocks will be down a while. The public isn't in a forgiving mood with the bailouts which are all loans now or require equity stakes which will dilute shareholders. As a taxpayer this is great. There needs to be moral hazard for shareholders who vote themselves dividends and buybacks over string balance sheets.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:23 AM

I'm still surprised to see so many buying the dip. The crises are just beginning and people think the market has bottomed? We don't even have proper unemployment numbers yet.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'm still surprised to see so many buying the dip. The crises are just beginning and people think the market has bottomed? We don't even have proper unemployment numbers yet.
I bought into some O&G related. WCS at $5 isn't going to last, but some companies got crucified in their stock prices.

I expect OPEC+ to sort themselves out long before we're done with COVID19.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I bought into some O&G related. WCS at $5 isn't going to last, but some companies got crucified in their stock prices.

I expect OPEC+ to sort themselves out long before we're done with COVID19.
I've bought LEAPs on oil. Dumped my short position taking profits. That said, I have a feeling oil isn't going to rebound as far as most people think.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:39 AM

Quote:
I've bought LEAPs on oil. Dumped my short position taking profits. That said, I have a feeling oil isn't going to rebound as far as most people think.
Yes it will be low for a while, but there will be a bounce off the floor and I'm out.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:16 PM

Does cruising have a post-Corona future? The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia thinks so:

Saudi Arabia Invests in Carnival Cruise. Now It’s Definitely Time to Sell
Saudi Arabia has decided to buy a massive stake in Carnival Cruises. Is this another move in a long line of stupid investment decisions?

BUSINESS NEWSOP-ED Published: April 6, 2020 11:27 PM UTC

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has made a (perhaps unwise) decision to invest in Carnival Cruise.

....As if Carnival’s reputation wasn’t bad enough, this association with a fundamentalist regime won’t do much good for its already tarnished brand image. Carnival is reeling from a series of fatal coronavirus disasters on its cruise ships, tax avoidance and a failure to obtain bailout funds from the U.S. government.

Saudi Arabia’s Track Record Of Financial Stupidity

While investors may take Saudi Arabia’s investment in Carnival Corporation as a compelling vote of confidence, it’s probably just more in a long line of incompetence from the desert kingdom and its public investment fund. Saudi Arabia, along with its leader Mohammad Bin Salman, has a track record of poor financial decision-making.

In the fourth quarter of 2019, Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund sold 99.5% of its holdings in Tesla right before the stock rocketed to $900 — a move that could have cost them up to $4.5 billion in unrealized gains.

The country also IPO’d its state-owned oil firm Saudi Aramco for $1.7 trillion only to engage in an oil price war that tanked its value, leaving hundreds of retail investors holding the bag.

Now, the Saudi crown prince and his investment fund have their eyes set on Carnival Cruise. And it looks to be another high-profile flop.

According to a Monday filing with the SEC, the Saudis have purchased 43,508,895 shares of Carnival Corporation, giving them a substantial 8.2% ownership of the business....

https://www.ccn.com/saudi-arabia-inv...-time-to-sell/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm an adherent to the passive investing approach, so I'm not playing in the market day-to-day.

That being said, the market is currently so irrational since we're in uncharted territory in human history. It is hard to draw any conclusions from anything the market is doing as nobody knows how long this whole thing lasts or what the end is.

Playing buy and sell right now is effectively gambling, even moreso than usual.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:17 PM
Mr

Quote:
I also think that financial crisis is still to come. What we have at the moment is sort of a rehearsal. I am fairly certain that in the foreseeable future the prices for real estate will go significantly down. America's multi-trillion donations will only postpone the crisis but they won't overcome it, my opinion. I believe that it is high time to give Cardano a chance. It is most likely that it will be a flip in 2021. Read a great forecast with lots of analytics about this coin https://primexbt.com/blog/cardano-price-prediction-forecast/

Last edited by Brave; Nov 5, 2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:20 AM

^In some markets we had heard this sentiment for almost two decades. "Significant" is the key word here though, whatever that defines it. A 5% correction and plateau I can easily see. But if "significant" means 20, 30, 40%... hard to swallow

Quote:
Hindsight really is 20/20. Anyone throwing money in any major index back in March made off like bandits today, even factoring all the wobbliness.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:41 AM
recession proof

While I keep one eye on the general DJIA/Nasdaq I'm more focused on day trading individual stocks. I tend to have a handful of stocks I focus on every week. DJIA/NDAQ technicals seem to indicate this election could take awhile to sort out a clear winner. Choppy markets are great for trading short term.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
While I keep one eye on the general DJIA/Nasdaq I'm more focused on day trading individual stocks. I tend to have a handful of stocks I focus on every week. DJIA/NDAQ technicals seem to indicate this election could take awhile to sort out a clear winner. Choppy markets are great for trading short term.
If Biden wins, will it trigger a big sell-off?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:09 PM
recession proof

If he wins decisively it should be good news. However look at how the market doubled under Trump in 3 years then crashed then doubled up ha. Some people became very wealthy. I know my rich American relatives will be voting for Trump - and some of them are African American. Biden's tax increase scares them.

I think it would be amusing if Trump wins.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If Biden wins, will it trigger a big sell-off?
I don't think anyone can predict what will happen. The people who are most confident in their predictions should be trusted the least.

That said, the market will probably favour certainty. A clear Biden win would hopefully give predictability, although who knows WTF Trump is going to pull in his last few months.

Then again, a likely tax increase is an objective devaluation of company value. But as far as I have seen, the US stock market only ever does one thing - rise upwards relentlessly and consistently. It's irrational to think that will continue forever, but who knows how long it will continue to do so?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:58 PM
I am the law!

It amazies me how increased taxes is suck a hot topic and Trump's drunken spending is barely a topic. I can't imagine what Trump could be leaving the next president with another 4 years of drunken spending, more tax breaks and doubling of the disaster relief budgets. Well, it still won't be Ontario + Ottawa quagmire.

Lost a lot on the restaurant I have a minor stake in. My Covid stocks far surpasses that loss. I feel dirty about it all. One thing the pandemic is proving is how much our economic system doesn't work and this is really just a test.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:08 PM

Hopefully nobody was thinking of getting in on Ant's IPO in HK:

Ant Group’s blockbuster $37-billion IPO suspended in Shanghai and Hong Kong
JULIE ZHU, MEG SHEN AND GREG ROUMELIOTIS
HONG KONG
REUTERS
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 3, 2020

China suspended Ant Group’s $37 billion stock market listing on Tuesday, thwarting the world’s largest IPO with just days to go in a dramatic blow to the financial technology company founded by billionaire Jack Ma.

The Shanghai stock exchange announced that it had suspended the company’s initial public offering (IPO) on its STAR Market, prompting Ant to also freeze the Hong Kong leg of the dual listing, which was due on Thursday.

The move followed a meeting between Ma and China’s financial regulators on Monday during which Ma and his top executives were told the company’s lucrative online lending business would face tighter scrutiny, sources told Reuters.

The Shanghai bourse described Ant’s meeting with financial regulators as a “major event” and said the showdown, plus a tougher regulatory environment, disqualified Ant from listing.

In China, analysts interpreted the move as a slap down for Ma, who had wanted Ant to be treated as technology company rather than a highly regulated financial institution.

“The Communist Party has shown the tycoons who’s boss. Jack Ma might be the richest man in the world but that doesn’t mean a thing. This has gone from the deal of the century to the shock of the century,” said Francis Lun, CEO of GEO Securities...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...tock-exchange/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I don't think anyone can predict what will happen. The people who are most confident in their predictions should be trusted the least.
If you’ve seen video of Trump today he is sounding very out-of-character and defeated.

Bill Clinton said before that his own victory was something they were sure of the morning of the election.

Anything is possible but it’s not looking good for Republicans.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:51 PM

Anyone else been following the bizarre "rebellion" of Robin Hood/basement dwellers against established stock market wisdom? There is zero reason why these stocks should be doing well...

GameStop rally hits new extremes as short-sellers surrender
Paul Jarvis, Bloomberg News

....."It does feel like rationality and fundamentals are just kind of dead,” J Capital Research co-founder Anne Stevenson-Yang said by telephone. “If you’re short you’re in a very difficult position because you have to buy the stock to get out, so you end with a heavily overvalued stock.”

GameStop didn’t respond to requests for comment.

The stock’s gains were fanned late Tuesday after Tesla Inc. chief Elon Musk tweeted a link to a Reddit thread about the company. But famed fund manager Michael Burry warned that the manic rally has gotten out of hand, calling the stock’s rise “unnatural, insane, and dangerous.”

Venture capitalist Chamath Palihapitiya, who pushed the gains higher Tuesday after tweeting about buying calls, said on CNBC that he closed his GameStop position. He said he will donate US$500,000 from his profits and original position to the Barstool Fund for small businesses. GameStop is up about 110 per cent as of 12:23 p.m...

...Euphoria born in day-trader chat rooms has turned GameStop into the biggest story stock of the retail era, its improbable surge an emblem of the newfound power of individual investors. At the same time, it’s become a major headache for institutional investors betting it would fall...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/gamestop...nder-1.1554626

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Anyone else been following the bizarre "rebellion" of Robin Hood/basement dwellers against established stock market wisdom? There is zero reason why these stocks should be doing well...
It's a meme to fuck with wall street. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:57 PM
video et taceo

This is hilarious, trolls calling up deep-in-the-hole fund managers and asking them about Battletoads

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada