HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I drove down hastings last night and from abbot to main street was wall to wall people all over the sidewalks, no social distancing at all.

I never knew Hastings had gotten so bad, it was covered with people, garbage, tents, lord knows what else. Some of the people and their messes sprawling onto the street.

I am working in a restaurant and I feel like calling the 8-1-1 number and complaining, there is almost no way to social distance in a kitchen, today I was bumped into by others, had to squeeze past, end up working shoulder to shoulder and we share the same equipment, touching the same items all day long, you can't be washing your hands every time you come into contact with something it's getting really stressful. We I am surprised no one in the industry is sick, how easy is it spread on food touched?
My experience driving down Hastings is that there are fewer people on the streets than before but it is still a bad situation.

Heat kills the virus so I wouldn’t worry about cooked food but cold or room temp items could be a problem.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I drove down hastings last night and from abbot to main street was wall to wall people all over the sidewalks, no social distancing at all.

I never knew Hastings had gotten so bad, it was covered with people, garbage, tents, lord knows what else. Some of the people and their messes sprawling onto the street.

I am working in a restaurant and I feel like calling the 8-1-1 number and complaining, there is almost no way to social distance in a kitchen, today I was bumped into by others, had to squeeze past, end up working shoulder to shoulder and we share the same equipment, touching the same items all day long, you can't be washing your hands every time you come into contact with something it's getting really stressful. We I am surprised no one in the industry is sick, how easy is it spread on food touched?

An eye opener for you.... but welcome to downtown Vancouver!

The boarded up shops on many streets remind me of East Hastings in some way.

I think many in the F&B industry are sick, except most are young, and simply told to go home to rest. No hospitalization, no test, so no report on who has contracted the Coronavirus. Same goes for the homeless and drug addicts. The lesser number of people get tested, the better it looks for the BC government.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If you're concerned about Coronavirus why would you go to a big box grocery where you're bound to come into contact with way more people? Plus the herd mentality tends to insure some products are going to be sold out. All to save a couple bucks? No thanks.
The same reason why people went out of their way to drive across untolled bridges...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I think many in the F&B industry are sick, except most are young, and simply told to go home to rest. No hospitalization, no test, so no report on who has contracted the Coronavirus. Same goes for the homeless and drug addicts. The lesser number of people get tested, the better it looks for the BC government.
You really think that? Then you'd better go and line up outside Costco, as the tin foil supplies are running low...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
You really think that? Then you'd better go and line up outside Costco, as the tin foil supplies are running low...
Hah! Do you have membership to take me there?

TBH, I'm not a Costco kinda guy. And I'm not into tinfoil and weird radio broadcasts too:I just think harder, that's all.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 5:01 AM

No Frills is actually cheaper than Superstore (both Loblaws).
And for some sale items, Safeway and Save-on-Foods have stepped up their game on discounts.
Safeway had Dr. Oetker pizzas for $2.97 last week. No Frills has them now for $3.33.
Safeway has 5lb carrots this week for $2.99. No Frills has them on sale for $3.97.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Safeway had Dr. Oetker pizzas for $2.97 last week. No Frills has them now for $3.33.
Which come from Germany. That's one supply chain I don't want to see break down!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Which come from Germany. That's one supply chain I don't want to see break down!
Actually, London, Ontario. That's far enough.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 7:17 AM

Trevor Linden gym at Burrard Landing (Convention Centre) is up for lease.

Incorrect. It's V2V's space.

Last edited by jollyburger; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 8:20 AM

That's a huge tenant to loose! With V2V gone, that is a lot of vacant space there. Will DeDutch survive?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Can someone please chime in here for this? I'm wondering who are the dumbasses at Loblaws that thought of this cuz it makes absolutely no sense.

Why are we now forced to sometimes stand there in the cold and rain for 10 mins or more to get in now to Superstore. It makes absolutely no sense to stand there and then have some kid in a crappy security guard uniform graciously let you in the store. And of course, as soon as you step in the store its business as usual with the same amount of customers all spread out as always cuz its a giant big box store. Is Superstore trying to model itself after Vancouver nightclubs now with their manufactured lines to make it seem like the place is busy?

I wonder if the managers and executives who made this decision don't realize that it's agitating some customers. I see some other people waiting in that line with annoyed looks and their negative body language. Don't get me wrong I get it and if it was a Kins Farm Market or other smaller spaces then yes limit the number of people going in but not a giant warehouse-type store. People just want to get in and get out with their shopping. This legit has to be one of the dumbest nonsensical overreactions to the pandemic.
Because the limit is 50 people per store, that includes the staff. So what they are doing is counting how many people are let in, and how many people have left, otherwise they're getting fined. The stores would typically have 300 customers in them at a time between 4pm and 8pm. Shop at some smaller places like Shoppers or London Drugs, or look at your gps map for a smaller 7-11 style shop if you're absolutely desperate.

I switched to going to Wholesale Club just so I could avoid Superstore and Walmart, because I thought I picked up a cold last time I was at Walmart when social distancing was just starting, and someone was coughing all down the snack aisle. But you also need to go at the right time.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 2:32 PM

Will gyms exist after this? I miss my gym!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 2:48 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Trevor Linden gym at Burrard Landing (Convention Centre) is up for lease.
Oh no! That's been my gym for the past 7 years!! I wouldn't be surprised if many gyms go under, they'll likely be one of the last types of businesses to reopen.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
That's a huge tenant to loose! With V2V gone, that is a lot of vacant space there. Will DeDutch survive?
What's v2v?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 4:05 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
What's v2v?
Vancouver '2' Victoria passenger ferry service that went under earlier this year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Given that Pavco is a provincial crown corp, you think they would be bending over backwards to keep their tenants. It's not like they're going to be booking any conventions for the next year or so. That business is dead.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Given that Pavco is a provincial crown corp, you think they would be bending over backwards to keep their tenants. It's not like they're going to be booking any conventions for the next year or so. That business is dead.
Not really, it's long-term leased out to PCI.

Quote:
Acquisition through long-term lease of the commercial components of the new Convention Centre on the downtown Vancouver Waterfront. Includes 85,000 sq. ft. of harbour- and seawall-oriented external retail and restaurant space and the adjoining 442-stall parking operation.
https://pci-group.com/PCIprojects/burrard-landing/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Not really, it's long-term leased out to PCI.

https://pci-group.com/PCIprojects/burrard-landing/
Interesting. So Pavco can be reasonably assured of PCI paying their lease, and PCI just has to worry about filling the space. Maybe they should be more worried, there will be virtually no cruise or convention traffic for those retail spots this year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 10:04 PM
life in the present

Just walked past Club16 at the Convention Centre, no For Lease signs anywhere. Where did you hear this Jollyburger?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Just walked past Club16 at the Convention Centre, no For Lease signs anywhere. Where did you hear this Jollyburger?
Ah sorry I think it's for the the V2V units. I was confused by the first photo and the tenant map.

https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1585603452

Last edited by jollyburger; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy