HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: What should have WT done with $420M?
Decrease fares forever by 29% 1 5.26%
Increase service by 12.5% 4 21.05%
Expand express service to save people time 4 21.05%
Give Winnipeg back their $600 per person 2 10.53%
SWRT2 is good, but the routes make it bad 4 21.05%
SWRT2 is good, I like wasting time on a bus 8 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
they should just convert the giant median thing on main just north of assiniboine into a boarding island.

that way, the buses turning onto northbound main wouldn't have to go all the way to the rightmost lane and then shift back to the leftmost lane to turn onto graham.
That maneuver doesn't really cause any problems. And there's a transit priority light at St. Mary for any buses that don't manage to change back to the left lane. Buses never get piled up northbound at Broadway, it's the southbound stop that's the problem.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:00 PM

I really dislike the traffic flow in general in that southbound Main curb lane, south of Portage. Especially since 300 Main started.

Basically it's a race from Portage Ave for everyone to pile into the curb lane to turn at St. Mary. It's usually backed up (or was pre COVID-19) through the Graham Ave intersection. So now buses sit and what in the line of cars. They really should've kept the diamond lane in place there. Then people in the second lane wanting to get in but nobody lets them haha. typical.

Same thing as mentioned at Broadway. When I drive, I usually skip St. Mary altogether, get in line to wait at broadway. Then I'll take the back lane behind Wawanesa and head north of Fort. This get's me back to St. Mary Ave and down tot he office.

And Main St is 4 lanes wide but everyone in the curb lane. I like the idea of doing centre median lanes for buses. In addition to Union Station for RT routes. If that were to ever happen.

Yes, I'm complaining about Downtown traffic haha, which in general is not bad at all.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And Main St is 4 lanes wide but everyone in the curb lane. I like the idea of doing centre median lanes for buses. In addition to Union Station for RT routes. If that were to ever happen.
Definitely agree that centre median is the way to go -- especially if they seriously want Portage to take over from Graham as a transit priority corridor. Curb lanes have too much friction with right-turning traffic, parking, and drop-offs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan