HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You could not pay me enough money to live in Arizona or Nevada. It’s not the weather, it’s the people and the culture (or lack thereof). And no decent cities.
okay?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
80% of neighborhoods anywhere in the USA are not very walkable.
...and I have no desire to live in those places.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 4:39 PM

I'm in Chicago right now and it's not even technically that humid. But it's a very noticeable difference than la and not in a good way.
The air is just stickier and heavier.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I'm in Chicago right now and it's not even technically that humid. But it's a very noticeable difference than la and not in a good way.
The air is just stickier and heavier.

LAX is at 72f and 68 humidity, but Los Angeles (downtown is at 78f and 48 hum.
Both Chicago and my small town south of Montreal are at 78 today, but with lower humidity.

So, I was wondering if your feeling was due to your location near the ocean or in greater L.A?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Both Chicago and my small town south of Montreal are at 78 today, but with lower humidity.

So, I was wondering if your feeling was due to your location near the ocean or in greater L.A?

I bet the dew points are different. Or maybe la is unusually more humid today.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 6:59 PM

I was thinking today (on a very hot day here) that the people who think places like Phoenix will cease to be habitable in a world that's a few degrees warmer haven't really thought about it: worst case, there'll be a period of the year where the weather is so hostile to humans that people mostly stay inside during those months, but then there will continue to be an enjoyable season where being outdoors is pleasant (fall-winter-spring). The overall package will certainly very livable.

There already are large cities (Chicago, Toronto, Montreal) where the climate will kill you a few months per year (so people mostly stay indoors, in climate-controlled environments, during those periods), and they're large metropolises despite of that fact. It's even worse in some aspects: there are plenty of things you just CAN'T do during a few months, while in a "too hot" climate, these things are still possible.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 7:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I bet the dew points are different. Or maybe la is unusually more humid today.
Right now, weather.com says ORD has a dew point of 49 (very comfortable) and LAX has a dew point of 57 (ever so slight sticky, but still fairly nice).

Dew points don't start feeling really gross until they're above 65 degrees.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post

In all the cities I'm familiar with, the waterfront breeze in summer makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure it's nicer in Chicago on the lakeshore right now than inland in L.A., whatever the airport humidity data says.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In all the cities I'm familiar with, the waterfront breeze in summer makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure it's nicer in Chicago on the lakeshore right now than inland in L.A., whatever the airport humidity data says.
Lol that is incredibly false. I'm a few blocks from the lake and a breeze is coming like every 10 minutes for a few seconds.
It does absolutely nothing

I don't remember it doing anything in Florida either.

I don't anyone who thinks Chicago summers are more comfortable than the LA basin.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Right now, weather.com says ORD has a dew point of 49 (very comfortable) and LAX has a dew point of 57 (ever so slight sticky, but still fairly nice).

Dew points don't start feeling really gross until they're above 65 degrees.
I'm in Hyde park and the dew point is almost 61 at midway.
I didn't say it was gross but I can feel a heaviness to the air.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:

The ocean breezes do bring humidity to coastal So Cal, but usually the temps are under 75f near the coast. Inland, the temps are higher, so the humidity can be a problem. The worst humidity comes in late summer, when some of the "monsoon" moisture from the gulf leaks over from Arizona, and the temps are way over 90f inland. These monsoons can bring rain to the mountains and deserts of inland SoCal, where thunderheads build up, but rarely to the coastal plain. So you swelter in July to early Sept inland. Most days are fairly cool within 5 miles of the ocean even in mid summer. In late summer, even the coast can get warm and humid sometimes. At other tines of the year, Santa Ana winds can bring heat to the coast, but the humidity is low. I would say that 90% of SoCal days are pleasant within a few miles of the coast.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 2, 2022 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 10:53 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
80% of neighborhoods anywhere in the USA are not very walkable.
I don't know about that. That may be true of neighborhoods built from the 60's on though.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 11:01 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You could not pay me enough money to live in Arizona or Nevada. It’s not the weather, it’s the people and the culture (or lack thereof). And no decent cities.
I do have a house on the NV side of Tahoe. The people are wonderful but we're all from the Bay area here. Reno isn't terrible but yeah if you want city life NV isn't for you. By the way Reno is pretty pricey too.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 11:03 PM
Environmental Sabotage

SF has been gloomy and cold the last few days or back to normal after a pretty fog free and mild June. I hated it. I like my hurricane force fog up in twin peaks. Managed to squeeze out .08 of precip from the wind blown fog last night.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Lol that is incredibly false. I'm a few blocks from the lake and a breeze is coming like every 10 minutes for a few seconds.
It does absolutely nothing

I don't remember it doing anything in Florida either.

I don't anyone who thinks Chicago summers are more comfortable than the LA basin.
In FL it makes a huge difference. A friend of ours has a waterfront condo, it's always breezy, much more pleasant in summer than everything I have which is at least a couple blocks from the water (which suffices to make a significant difference in the breeze).

If you're "a few blocks from the lake", you're inland. There are condos in Chicago that are straight on the lakeshore. I'm pretty sure those balconies are pleasant in the summer.

That said, I was careful to not be 100% sure about this, given that it's been years since I've been in Chicago, and I was there for the architecture so I didn't bother with Lake Michigan; no idea how breezy it actually is.

But as I said, in the coastal cities I'm familiar with, the breeze from the water makes a nice difference in summer; I'm guessing Chicago is no exception.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:02 AM

Quote:
In FL it makes a huge difference. A friend of ours has a waterfront condo, it's always breezy, much more pleasant in summer than everything I have which is at least a couple blocks from the water (which suffices to make a significant difference in the breeze).

If you're "a few blocks from the lake", you're inland. There are condos in Chicago that are straight on the lakeshore. I'm pretty sure those balconies are pleasant in the summer.

That said, I was careful to not be 100% sure about this, given that it's been years since I've been in Chicago, and I was there for the architecture so I didn't bother with Lake Michigan; no idea how breezy it actually is.

But as I said, in the coastal cities I'm familiar with, the breeze from the water makes a nice difference in summer; I'm guessing Chicago is no exception.
Compared to California weather?
No

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Compared to California weather?
No
The Atlantic Ocean off Florida is much warmer than the Pacific off CA, so the breezes off the Atlantic must be fairly warm. They may help a bit by moving the air around like a fan, but there is nothing like the CA coast breezes (more frigid in a NorCal than SoCal) that bring the fog in to cool things off.

The "pump" that brings in the coastal breezes and fog is the heating up of inland areas. As the inland areas heat up on summer days, the air rises, the pressure goes down, and this draws in the cold higher pressure ocean fog and winds during the afternoon.

The stratus/fog layer tends to be higher in SoCal because it is a bit warmer than in NorCal, so the ground visibility is better. In NorCal, the fog is colder, so it often comes in right at ground level and reduces visibility to "pea soup" conditions. The late spring/early-mid summer temps along the coast in NorCal are often around 55-65F, in SoCal 65-70F with frequent overcast and drizzle from the stratus clouds, especially from May-early July in SoCal, and May-early August in NorCal.

In late August into late September (sometimes into October), both SoCal and NorCal coastal temps warm up, and the foggy weather is less common. Santa Ana and Diablo Winds can also dry and warm things up in Autumn in both SoCal and NorCal, and cause wildfires to spread.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2022 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 11:20 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was thinking today (on a very hot day here) that the people who think places like Phoenix will cease to be habitable in a world that's a few degrees warmer haven't really thought about it: worst case, there'll be a period of the year where the weather is so hostile to humans that people mostly stay inside during those months, but then there will continue to be an enjoyable season where being outdoors is pleasant (fall-winter-spring). The overall package will certainly very livable.

There already are large cities (Chicago, Toronto, Montreal) where the climate will kill you a few months per year (so people mostly stay indoors, in climate-controlled environments, during those periods), and they're large metropolises despite of that fact. It's even worse in some aspects: there are plenty of things you just CAN'T do during a few months, while in a "too hot" climate, these things are still possible.
On the other hand, there are almost no limits to how many layers you can put on to protect yourself from the cold and venture outside, whereas once you're completely naked to get relief from the outdoor heat, there are no more layers to take off.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 3:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On the other hand, there are almost no limits to how many layers you can put on to protect yourself from the cold and venture outside, whereas once you're completely naked to get relief from the outdoor heat, there are no more layers to take off.
exactly... if you own the right equipment (leggings, decent parka, gloves, balaclava, goggles), going outside at -40C is no big deal (ok, it takes a little longer to get dressed, and there is a risk of frostbite if you don't dress properly). Going outside in +40C, it's virtually impossible to be comfortable even if naked, particularly if humid.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The Atlantic Ocean off Florida is much warmer than the Pacific off CA, so the breezes off the Atlantic must be fairly warm. They may help a bit by moving the air around like a fan, but there is nothing like the CA coast breezes (more frigid in a NorCal than SoCal) that bring the fog in to cool things off. The late spring/early-mid summer temps along the coast in NorCal are often around 55-65F, in SoCal 65-70F with frequent overcast and drizzle from the stratus clouds, especially from May-early July in SoCal, and May-early August in NorCal. In late August into late September (sometimes into October), both SoCal and NorCal coastal temps warm up, and the foggy weather is less common. Santa Ana and Diablo Winds can also dry and warm things up in Autumn in both SoCal and NorCal, and cause wildfires to spread.
Florida is just hotter because of humidity/the ocean water is warmer.

I'll take the cooler water over warmer water.
If I lived in Florida, I'd be in the water a few times a month at best.
Meanwhile, you're dealing with humidity every second, so...
It's not a good trade off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions