HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Yeah, the police here in America using radar to fine people for loud music isn't going to work. It may be a law on the book, but it won't be widely enforced. It will be turned into a "racially charged law" or whatever else the media will think up.
If the fines are lucrative enough, like with DUI's, they'll go for it! Here, in Tucson the fine for a loud stereo in your car is only $100, and 2nd offense, it doubles to $200, then doubles to $400 for a 3rd offense.

Yes, high rise living, way up, has its advantages, besides the views. I lived on the 38th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis, and with windows closed, you couldn't even hear a siren or firecracker. Far more quiet than being out in the country.

When I moved to my current place in Tucson, walking distance to the Emergency Room at Tucson Medical Center, I thought what a big plus that was, until I started hearing the Emergency Helicopters flying over my community, day and night!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I'm about 10 houses away from the MoPac tracks in north Austin. It's freight trains all day and night, along with Amtrak several times. Next to the tracks is the MoPac expressway/tollway. I'm right under an incoming flight path for approaches to the airport, and the aircraft are at 2,000 to 3,000 ft as they fly over.

When I'm outside, it's noisy as hell. Trains, planes, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sirens. I love the sound of the Amtrak trains, though, as well as the planes. The freight trains are ok unless an engine is idling near by (I absolutely hate that). Until I replaced my old single pane windows, all the noise came inside. And the freight trains caused the windows to rattle. Once I replaced the windows with good quality double panes, all of the sounds are gone except for the one thing I hate...the idling locomotives. That sound penetrates and drives me crazy if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night. I've tried my noise canceling headphones but they're uncomfortable. So I just put up with that.

None of this seems to have any effect on property values except for the houses immediately adjacent to the tracks.

Just thought of something. Before I replaced my windows, one thing that was nuts was garbage trucks emptying dumpsters in the middle of the night. I'm about 1500 ft from the nearest location where this happens, (along a major commercial strip) but when they put the dumpsters down, it's incredibly loud. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this yet.
let me tell you about garbage trucks!! heh, yeah i live in a townhouse across the street from the back end of a string of bars and restaurants....those $%^&*ers are loud as hell. there isnt any law about when they can empty trash though. the argument is day time pickup would cause traffic snarls....so they come at 3 am.....

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
On a related note, I own 2 rental properties that have the L running directly behind them.

One of them is separated by a decent sized yard, so that one hasn't been a problem.

The other one is on N Bissell in the Ranch Triangle area of Lincoln Park and has the L running literally right out the rear window.

Despite being a kick ass apartment, I have often had difficulty getting the top floor apartment rented. My leasing agent tells me that countless prospects love the apartment until they get to the bedroom next to the L. Then they stop, stare out the window, and watch the L go by over and over again.

Afterwards, they leave and never call her back!
Living next to an elevated train is a dealbreaker for me. When I first moved to NYC I rented a room in an apartment for a few months that was next to an elevated train. If I was in my room on the phone when the train passed I would have to pause the conversation because I couldn't hear anything. Never again.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:02 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'm going to take my condenser mic and record outside my window tonight. Not sure how to calibrate it properly (any good ideas of a fixed-SPL source?), but it should be interesting!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 5:19 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
There are only three major north/south routes through my city and I live on one of them. This means that for a good ten or so hours a day the road in front of my house is a wall of moving metal. It also means cop cars, fire trucks, and ambulances go up and down the road all the time. On top of all that, I used to work nights and my husband still does, so we'd be sleeping when traffic was heaviest. Thankfully the master bedroom is at the back of the house, so the house itself blocks a lot of noise, and earplugs and a fan are usually enough to blunt the rest.

In the rest of the house though, traffic noise is constant.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Yeah, the police here in America using radar to fine people for loud music isn't going to work. It may be a law on the book, but it won't be widely enforced. It will be turned into a "racially charged law" or whatever else the media will think up.
I think we have ordinances in Austin regarding the boom cars, but it's not enforced. It's all over. If one is several streets over in a neighborhood, everyone hears it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I think we have ordinances in Austin regarding the boom cars, but it's not enforced. It's all over. If one is several streets over in a neighborhood, everyone hears it.
When I moved to Tucson a year ago, I decided to explore the new gentrified downtown area. I wasn't there but an hour and due to the loud, thumping boom cars going down Congress Street, I left. Yup! They build all these new apartment buildings downtown, and don't these people have to go to work in the morning and get a good night's sleep?

Outraged, I did an email campaign to the Tucson City Council members, the Mayor and the Pima County Supervisors, relating to them what other cities have done to crack down on these Noise Terrorists. NoiseFreeAmerica does their Noisy City Awards, occasionally, and I threatened to inform this organization of the unwarranted noise in downtown Tucson.

Apparently, the Mayor sent my email to a Police Captain, and he called me and, unbelievable, I had to tell him there was a $100 fine for loud, thumping boom cars. Fines double with each offense. So, he invited me to return to downtown Tucson the next weekend to see the changes. I didn't return for 6 months later and I have to admit my email campaign was a success.

I talked to an old-timer here about this issue, and he said that way back when, police cars had decimeters in their vehicles to detect unwarranted noise. In Las Vegas, so as not to scare off the tourists/conventioneers with boom cars going up and down the Strip, they have one vehicle with decimeters that patrols the Strip for boom cars.

Given that Tucson has the worst city streets in the nation, I told them in my email, if you're looking for road money, to jack those fines up for boom cars to $1-2000 and you'll get your road money.

By the way, you can buy a decimeter for about $40.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 2:37 AM

I think people with really loud music look stupid. However, if all I hear is the "system"...I don't care too much.

It's when someone is stopped at a traffic light or at a gas station with LOUD music blaring FUCK N-word and every other derogatory word in the book. I can't take that person seriously, they are douche bags. Losers. Anti-social.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions