HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:04 PM
somewhere in-between

Your City in Pop Culture

I thought this might be a fun game / diversion - and I don't think it has been done on this site yet -

Name ONE defining pop culture reference for your home town. Basically, any cultural product, like music, art, literature, fashion, dance, film, architecture, cyberculture, television, radio could count... It should be something with mass appeal / recognition, but it doesn't necessarily need to be the MOST recognized thing. If you city comes up more than once, that's fine, but you need to pick a DIFFERENT pop culture reference each time. The hope is that we'll learn some things about other places and others' perceptions of our home towns. Visual aids are welcome. Here's the twist: whoever goes next needs to first name ONE ADDITIONAL pop culture reference that they associate with the previous poster's city, before naming one for their own city. Get it?

I'll start. Kalamazoo, Michigan is the original home of Gibson Guitars. The factory still exists, and now houses Heritage Guitars, founded by some of the Gibson Guitar makers who stayed behind when Gibson moved to Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well, sherwin williams gets all the press lately because its building a new hq downtown, but cleveland has a much cooler and much more pop culture oriented paint company than that.

day glo.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago is the original home of that most enduring of snack cakes, the twinkie!

Source: wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I'll start. Kalamazoo, Michigan is the original home of Gibson Guitars.
Ah ouais ? I didn't know. That's where they're currently packing Pfizer vaccine doses at -70°C / -94°F. I know about that. Lol I saw it in the news lately.
Fender is another famous guitar manufacturer, from California.
But it's true that Gibson may have some kind of more genuine folk sound that I like.

Pop culture with mass appeal and recognition, you're requiring...

Well, local fresh bakery products like croissants and baguettes are worldwide renown, but a lot of that stuff would've come from Vienna centuries ago. Hence the French generic term of viennoiseries. That said, Paris must be at least as good as Vienna in that kind of things nowadays. My own homemade apple strudel is pretty good, while I'm nothing like a baker.

Otherwise, there are well known fashion brands like Vuitton, Chanel, Hermès, Dior and so on.
Of course they're overpriced, nonetheless very pop. Even people who can't actually afford them would stupidly ruin their bank accounts for a dumb Vuitton purse. Right?

Oh, I know. Since we've been hit by that nasty pandemic, the name of Louis Pasteur is turning pop again. At least over here.
That's your freaking biologist whose achievements eventually saved countless lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur

Though he wasn't even a Parisian. He was from Franche-Comté.

Crap, I can't even find anything both pop and recognizable from Paris. Even the Eiffel tower came to us from Dijon, Burgundy where Gustave Eiffel was born and grew up.

It's just an old and giant melting pot over here. I won't bother looking for something both successful and 100% originally Parisian. It probably doesn't exist.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

ah haaa! you all might have thought it impossible to beat an ever watchful steely chicago pimping post, but here we have proof that if you are on your game it can be done!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 12:17 AM
somewhere in-between

Nice start everyone. Remember, there are two parts to this. You first have to name (guess) another pop culture reference for the previous poster's city, before you share your own. Bonus points if you don't cheat by using Google. Whoever goes next has to start with Paris.

Mousquet, you did come up with a good second one for Kalamazoo that is quite contemporary - the production hub for the BioNTech / Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. Technically, it is Portage city proper, not Kalamazoo city proper, but the media usually says Kalamazoo, I think because it is more recognizable abroad.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 12:48 AM

Paris is referenced in at least 2 Jimmy Buffett songs - He Went to Paris and Last Mango in Paris.

Now for Houston, we were the city that the US nuked trying to destroy the aliens in Independence Day.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:12 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Paris is referenced in at least 2 Jimmy Buffett songs - He Went to Paris and Last Mango in Paris.

Now for Houston, we were the city that the US nuked trying to destroy the aliens in Independence Day.
HOUSTON = NASA / Apollo 13 “Houston we have a problem.”

St. Louis originated the MONSTER TRUCK.

Heres the OG:

wikipedia.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot_(truck)

In 1981, Chandler placed two dilapidated cars in a field, so that Chandler could videotape himself crushing the cars with Bigfoot as a joke...

Growing up in the 80s in St. Louis County minutes from Bigfoot HQ in Ferguson/Hazelwood, I had Bigfoot EVERYTHING.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:14 AM

Houston

Now for my hometown of Erie... a fun one... the Big Wheel and Green Machine. Manufactured in Erie, PA by Marx Toys.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:47 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

haha yes bigfoot was absolutely thee first monster truck. at least that anyone ever heard of. very cool.

and the big wheel is -- so far -- untoppable.

paris has the parachute, thats pretty kewl dont count them out so fast.

houston, umm, up yr game lol!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:05 AM

I even cheated with Google and still found nothing about Erie. I remembered this Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn movie and the went to Racine. It could have been Erie instead...

Londrina: they made this support character from The Expanse coming from Londrina. Completely random.

I don't think people we'll come up with something from Londrina. You can go with São Paulo instead...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I even cheated with Google and still found nothing about Erie.
Smaller cities like Kalamazoo and Erie are difficult to cite pop culture originations for anyone not from there. But still, I don't think you tried too hard...

I mean, Erie gave us these two very important cultural icons, for instance:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:43 AM

Good luck with Londrina, everybody...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I'll start. Kalamazoo, Michigan is the original home of Gibson Guitars. The factory still exists, and now houses Heritage Guitars, founded by some of the Gibson Guitar makers who stayed behind when Gibson moved to Nashville.
And their quality control went for a dump for awhile during that same period when they lost their way and tried to become a lifestyle brand..Now fairly new ownership may change..Where were original Martin Guitars?.Pennsylvania?.. guess I can Google.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:38 AM

Does an internet sensation count as popular culture? This video of a rampaging goat terrorizing residents of Londrina, Brazil went viral several years back:

Video Link

And now for Mi-lay-wa-kay:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:54 PM

^ Milwaukee - Happy Days (even though it never seemed to be cold in that universe)

Miami -

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:02 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

whats miami, #vaporwave?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:17 PM

^ vaporwave in real life

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:30 PM

Well... continuing this format... Miami, of course:

And yet another hometown Erie contribution to the zeitgeist:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:40 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Erie made the rounds of the creepypasta universe a while back with this charming story. A bit of fiction, of course, but half the fun of urban legends these days is how easy it is to create new ones complete with photos and video.

That being said, here's the Moog Music building in downtown Asheville. If you know synthesizers, you know Moog. I hear in the music world, Moog is a fairly big deal.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions