HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 10:30 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...dom-tower.html

Bloomberg

Alwaleed Picks Burj Khalifa Architect Adrian Smith to Design Kingdom Tower
Oct 22, 2010 3:01 PM GMT+0800

* World's tallest tower part of $20 bln project in Jeddah

* Plans another project in Riyadh valued at $6.67 billion

Kingdom Holding Co. has awarded the design contract for its mile-high Kingdom Tower in Jeddah to Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill Architecture, Dubai-based Gulf News reported, citing an official it did not identify.

The development of the tower is being managed by Emaar Properties PJSC, the United Arab Emirates’ biggest real-estate company by market value, the newspaper said, citing the official. Emaar is the developer of Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, currently the world’s tallest tower and which the Kingdom Tower will overtake.

Adrian Smith designed Burj Khalifa when he was working for Skidmore Owings & Merrill, Gulf News said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Arif Sharif in Dubai at asharif2@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Edward Evans at Eevans3@bloomberg.net

Final Design will be reviled within the next 3 weeks
Construction will start in 3 weeks

Last edited by GulfArabia; Oct 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:42 PM

Oooo nice nice, I'm sure he will do a pretty good job, glad this is actually happening, so what about construction? They said it was suppose to be in 3 weeks, but the design is 3 weeks too, I'm a little bit confused, I'm really interested in how this this will be excavated, would have to be deep piling or shoring whatever etc, must be type 3 or 4 soil down there, anyone know the answer for that? Because that should also be about how they would do excavation, that would have to be takin into consideration

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 2:55 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
is it just me or is emaar going on an all crazy hey lets build 800m pluss tower all over.

very intresting really considering that the goverement of Dubai have the biggest stock share in it.

as for the design i just cant w8 will be very intresting to see what they change it into

and choosing Emaar and the same architect as the Burj Khalifah was probably a very smart move considering that there are very many problems, that they must face in such a project that you wont face in towers in the 300-400 meter range. and Emaar definitely got the experience now.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM. Reason: dident put up meters on the 300-400 range

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Elf View Post
is it just me or is emaar going on an all crazy hey lets build 800m pluss tower all over.

very intresting really considering that the goverement of Dubai have the biggest stock share in it.

as for the design i just cant w8 will be very intresting to see what they change it into

and choosing Emaar and the same architect as the Burj Khalifah was probably a very smart move considering that there are very many problems, that they must face in such a project that you wont face in towers in the 300-400 range. and Emaar definitely got the experience now.
I like your thinking, those are all very good points, EMAAR does have the experience now they will face more challenging, this will be a challenging project, but these are great years that are happening for skyscraper/structural engineering

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 6:30 PM
Heavy User

Anyone have any idea what the "other" nearly $7 billion dollar project is?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 6:57 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

This thing is really going to screw up the scale of the "Under Construction" diagrams.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 2:26 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
This thing is really going to screw up the scale of the "Under Construction" diagrams.
indeed i need a bigger screen

i can renember the same discussions starting up the last time the Arabs did it

and btw i wonder how long time this project will take im kinda guessing at 8 years but the top section will probably take a rather long time

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:53 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

A win for Chicago. Thank you Saudi Arabia.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:37 AM

hows this going to have an effect on Dubai, does anyone think that people there will get a little upset over this? i hope they dont.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi4life View Post
hows this going to have an effect on Dubai, does anyone think that people there will get a little upset over this? i hope they dont.
i don't think they will, the Arabian Gulf Countries "GCC" see them selfs as one, we are proud of what dubai is doing, and they fell the same when we or others do, even if we built this tower Dubai remains better in many things

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 9:22 AM

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2682

Skyscrapernews.com

Emaar Sign Agreement For 1000m Tower
22-10-2010

Despite an economic slowdown in much of the world and falling oil prices design work has continued on the Smith and Gill penned Kingdom Tower in Jeddah.

The scheme will be the landmark building for a new urban quarter called Kingdom City that's being developed via a subsidiary of Kingdom Holding, Jeddah Al Eqtisadiah. The company has signed a development agreement with Emaar, the construction company that has built much of Dubai, to continue the development of the scheme and reunite the team that constructed the Burj Khalifa, formerly the Burj Dubai, in Dubai.

The intentions are to create what will be the tallest building in the world, although as of yet no one has much idea of just how tall it will be. Heights mentioned have gone all the way from 1,001 metres upwards.

One possible answer to these could be the same approach as taken to be Burj Khalifa that grew and grew in height as it was constructed with the public having an idea of how tall it would be precisely until the spire was finally erected.

This isn't the first time that the world's tallest building has been shrouded in mystery - the Chrysler Building was erected under similar circumstances with the developer mindful that if the height was publicized before completion someone else may have wanted to beat them to the title.

The vague plans that have so far surfaced, which are no doubt at an early stage, show a needle shaped building above it rising to a pinprick at 1001 metres.

Within the scheme could be something similar to the plan the architects previously did at Skidmore Owings and Merrill. That contained office space, a hotel, serviced apartments, and three groups of residential apartments plus penthouses up to 694.4 metres with a function room at the height of 781.5 metres.

Smith and Gill have long seen supertall buildings as more than just standard skyscrapers full of accommodation. Here the plans could include some clever power generation by harnessing the speeds at the top of the tower to provide it with power, something that would have dramatic results if you have 300 metres of space to install a vertical wind farm in.

At the same time, the height of the building guarantees that the air temperature at the top of it is significantly lower than at ground level, and this too can be exploited and recycled around the structure to reduce the need for air conditioning.

Of course, much of this is theoretical and subject to change as the project gets fleshed out but if Kingdom City does go ahead, the models have always shown the megatall building at its very heart that will finally push mankind above 1 kilometre.

Construction will start in 3 weeks

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
i don't think they will, the Arabian Gulf Countries "GCC" see them selfs as one, we are proud of what dubai is doing, and they fell the same when we or others do, even if we built this tower Dubai remains better in many things
Oh right on, that's great to hear, that's what you call peace, I like that, thanks for replying GulfArabia

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 12:47 PM

I'm glad all this news is coming out about this tower, its awesome

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:51 PM
Chaos Machine

Despite the dates on these articles this news is hardly new. I predict it doesnt get built anytime soon.. If at all. How did the KAEC work out again?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
How did the KAEC work out again?
check the KAEC thread in SSC saudi forum

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...296977&page=31

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
Despite the dates on these articles this news is hardly new. I predict it doesnt get built anytime soon.. If at all. How did the KAEC work out again?
Ahh wait.... Dates I'm confused, the dates on those articles are fairly new, I'm sure or am I plain dumb

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:33 AM

World Architecture News

'Mile-High Tower' in Jeddah to go ahead says official source

Plans are still in motion for the world's tallest man-made structure - the Kingdom Tower -an anonymous source told Gulf News yesterday. The UAE newspaper claims its unnamed official source said: "The Kingdom Tower in Jeddah is one of the many huge real estate projects Kingdom Holding plans to develop. Jeddah Al Eqtisadiah, a subsidiary of Kingdom Holding, has signed an agreement with the Emaar Group of the UAE to develop a city and the huge tower in Jeddah."

If the skyscraper was to be seen through to completion it would eclipse the Burj Khalifa as the world's tallest building at an incredible 1.6km high. Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture was entrusted with the design of the tower in March this year, with Smith drawing on his experience designing the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The Kingdom Tower is part of a massive project for Kingdom Holding Company (KHC), which intends to generate an extensive development on an area of over 23million sq m in northern Jeddah. Offering a mix of commercial, residential, retail and educational facilities, the project will also include a new infrastructure network including a bridge across Obhur Creek.

Reports suggested that the project was put on hold due to the global economic crisis, a claim that KHC was quick to refute. An estimated cost on the KHC website is placed in excess of SR55bn, however external reports have seen this figure rise to an estimated SR100bn.

picture used:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:34 PM
Heavy User

^Is there a link to the article or a date? That article lists the height at one mile not kilometer...?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
^Is there a link to the article or a date? That article lists the height at one mile not kilometer...?

i was told the hight now is : 1?80

it can be 1580 or most likely 1280

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:16 AM

idk call me crazy but i rlly dont want to see this get built...Burj Dubai is enough of an anomaly, i wish we would have broke the 2000 ft. mark before we broke the 2716.5 mark. i t would just be nice to see new towers gradually break new heights not have 1000 ft. height gaps between them...then again thats just my opinion...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction