HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 11:24 PM

I recently came across a wonderful write-up by Doug Loudenback about old (and long gone) theaters of OKC.
I've read a number of entries from Doug's website, but had missed this one.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Let's Go Downtown To The Movies

One particular photo caught my eye, mainly because the presence of the Colcord building makes it easy to figure out the location in regards to the modern city grid (not always an easy task).

The image looks like that because Doug took a picture of a mounted photo displayed in someone's home.
He couldn't stop the reflections bouncing off the glass cover from showing up, unfortunately.
Still a great historical photo.

The period of this is sometime around 1911-1915.
Had to be at least 1911, as that is when the Majestic Theatre opened.
The view is looking west along Grand Avenue, which is now known as Sheridan Avenue.

Here's a closeup of those storefronts, including the Majestic Theatre.

It's rather sad that the Colcord is pretty much the only building in that old photo that's still in existence today.

Where the old Baum building and storefronts once resided is now taken up by the Century Center and the Sheraton Hotel:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sheraton-ok...-oklahoma-city

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6038&page=61

It's cool that modern streetcars now glide down the same stretch as they did way back then.
And the modern versions are far better and nicer than the rickety old trolleys of yesteryear.

But otherwise, it doesn' feel like progress to me.
The flat, modern structures inhabiting the space there now don't have the charm of those old storefronts with their intricate architecture.

But I guess the change had to come -- that era had passed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations