HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:53 AM

I see rebar now at or above grade:

IMG_2566
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr

IMG_2560
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:53 AM

I could post a ton of pictures, but since I work onsite I am respectful of the GC and limit the sharing of site pictures.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:57 AM

As Echoes stated in his post, rebar is now above grade:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:38 PM

man...they have a mountain of back fill to move on the site before they can start the excavation for the office tower parkade!

I really hope they stick to their current design of some funky angles for the East Tower and not resort to putting up just another glass box! Exciting to see the progress....was just reading the Capitol Pointe thread in Regina...very sad....feels like what we went through here for years, but at least we didn't have a gaping hole (wound) staring us in the face!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:24 PM

Yeah I know what you are saying. I was disappointed when they started digging before RL and our project seemed to be quite stuck but that is no longer the case. What are they going to do if they pull out? Fill the hole with tax dollars? Is there insurance for this sort of thing?

What do you guys know/think?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 1:52 PM

Not sure what would happen but here are a couple articles from Calgary about what that city did and why.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...court-1.812744

http://journalofcommerce.com/Home/Ne...ct-JOC041387W/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
man...they have a mountain of back fill to move on the site before they can start the excavation for the office tower parkade!

I really hope they stick to their current design of some funky angles for the East Tower and not resort to putting up just another glass box! Exciting to see the progress....was just reading the Capitol Pointe thread in Regina...very sad....feels like what we went through here for years, but at least we didn't have a gaping hole (wound) staring us in the face!
Sad for what Regina had six towers built over the boom , where super happy this project is moving forward it will be awesome

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Not sure what would happen but here are a couple articles from Calgary about what that city did and why.

http://journalofcommerce.com/Home/Ne...ct-JOC041387W/
Pretty funny that you would find that story about Lake Placid Developments and put it in the River Landing thread.

For those that may not be aware, Lake Placid was the developer of the previous River Landing Village development that died in about 2010. They brought Nassers into the mix and ended up fading away...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 6:20 PM

Haha. So you are saying we dodged a bullet.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 6:38 PM

It's more complicated. Anyway, to the Photographers a shout out! Like I said, Dudes, much appreciated here from a few thousand clicks away. Just 2 or 3 more 20 stories and Saskatoon's going to start getting some respect!

...While naysayers of the new art gallery should be upon conversion to the bandwagon of bliss upon opening made to do volunteer work at the least...starting with dayday! That would be a great parade of penance!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Pretty funny that you would find that story about Lake Placid Developments and put it in the River Landing thread.

For those that may not be aware, Lake Placid was the developer of the previous River Landing Village development that died in about 2010. They brought Nassers into the mix and ended up fading away...
My ex brother-in-law owned one of the units in the affected neighbouring condo when this was happening. They had just moved out about a year before the collapse started happening, the columns holding up the first floor from the lower parking level were showing cracks from the movement. IIRC, his tenants had just finished their one year lease and were moving out when the building was condemned. They weren't allowed into the building to retrieve tenants belongings for them and were no longer able to collect rent. Was also not allowed to put it up for sale and they'd just bought an expensive home in Vancouver. They had to sell one of their investment properties in Vancouver (which was appreciating like crazy and also paying huge amount of rental income) in order to meet their own household budget as they had to float this Calgary condo until the dust settled one way or the other.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Sad for what Regina had six towers built over the boom , where super happy this project is moving forward it will be awesome
I think you must have somehow thought I was not aware of the huge amount of construction that has happened in Regina....which is good for Regina and the Province!

My comments were specific to the gong show that Capital Pointe seems to be and how we in Saskatoon went through a similar frustrating experience before finally getting the project off the ground.

I AM hoping something still proceeds on that site in Regina, but think a new developer needs to step in. That's all....

Peace out!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:51 PM

Interesting view from Global's SkyTracker cam:

https://twitter.com/PQuinlanGlobal/s...60353680560129

All in one shot: the new Traffic Bridge, Remai Modern, and construction on Parcel Y.

Hopefully in a month there will be visible signs of work underway on the East Tower (where the earth mound is).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Hopefully in a month there will be visible signs of work underway on the East Tower (where the earth mound is).
Shoring and excavation for the East Tower should start once the big pile of dirt is removed/used for backfilling the parkade currently being built.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Shoring and excavation for the East Tower should start once the big pile of dirt is removed/used for backfilling the parkade currently being built.
When would they do the backfilling? once the parkade is officially finished or just when the structure is "ready".

since were almost back to grade level, we should see that red crane come down and the other(s) go up within the next few weeks ???

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:53 PM

Once each pour of the foundation wall has adequately cured, it will have waterproofing membrane or waterproofing system applied to it. Once a section of that is done, that portion of the parkade can be backfilled in lifts. Ideally, each of these steps should follow closely after the other and the backfilling can be finished not too long after the parkade structure is completed to grade.

The waterproofing is underway but doesn't appear to be moving very quickly.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:48 AM

would the red crane come down or would they use it for the office parkade

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:10 AM

Should see some more concrete being laid down Friday and Monday. Fun fact, the transfer slab has some beam pockets that are 5 ft deep!

I've seen the plans now for the alt hotel and river landing condo. Those floors will likely start going up in September, as long as their aren't any delays in contracts or changes in the blueprints.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Should see some more concrete being laid down Friday and Monday. Fun fact, the transfer slab has some beam pockets that are 5 ft deep!

I've seen the plans now for the alt hotel and river landing condo. Those floors will likely start going up in September, as long as their aren't any delays in contracts or changes in the blueprints.
great news! thanks for the update.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
would the red crane come down or would they use it for the office parkade
would there be room with the other crane(s) ? depending on the models they use and the height they start at ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan