HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:18 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Chicago could have much much more beach shoreline, I don't understand why they settle for just that little corner. There must be no budget for it.
there are a lot of beaches going north between oak street beach and Evanston, but remarkably few on the south side. I've often wondered why that is.

Milwaukee seems like it should have a lot more beaches, too, and take advantage of that long lake frontage.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Chicago could have much much more beach shoreline, I don't understand why they settle for just that little corner. There must be no budget for it.
not sure if trolling, but there are 20 +beaches along the lake front - https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/beaches

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
uhhhhh, chicago has FAR more beach than just the one little corner of oak street beach.

the city of chicago's public swimming beaches, from north to south:

rogers beach
howard beach
loyola beach
albion beach
lane beach
hollywood beach
foster beach
montrose beach
north avenue beach
ohio street beach
12th street beach
31st street beach
41st street beach
57th street beach
63rd street beach
71st street beach
rainbow beach
calumet beach

that's ~5.5 linear miles of sand swimming beaches within city limits.

it's certainly not miami beach or anything, but that's still a respectable amount of sand swimming beaches for a great lakes city.

especially one on the "wrong" side of the lake where the water currents tend to erode away sand beaches. the west coast of michigan has it easy, the sand just piles up naturally over there.

and yes, there are plans to radically increase the beach and parkland area at oak street, and bury a stretch of LSD, but who knows if it'll ever happen because money.

source: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-ohio/#slide-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
there are a lot of beaches going north between oak street beach and Evanston, but remarkably few on the south side. I've often wondered why that is.
not true, the southside has 8 beaches to the northside's 10, and some of those northside beaches like lane, howard, and rogers are pretty tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Milwaukee seems like it should have a lot more beaches, too, and take advantage of that long lake frontage.
yeah, milwaukee only has 3 sand swimming beaches within city limits.

like chicago, milwuakee is also on the "wrong" side of the lake for sand beaches. the lake currents tend to erode sand away on this side of the lake instead of piling it up like over on the other side in michigan.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 27, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
not sure if trolling, but there are 20 +beaches along the lake front - https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/beaches
That's not the point I was making at all. That beach could easily run all along gold coast but it doesn't. And it's the only downtown beach.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
That's not the point I was making at all. That beach could easily run all along gold coast but it doesn't.
not really. as i stated in my post above, the currents along the lakeshore in chicago tend to erode sand away. we only have sand beaches where special structures have been built out into the lake to capture and retain the sand.

there is a plan to build such structures/lakefill to expand oak street, but there's currently no money.

Quote:
And it's the only downtown beach.
no, there's also ohio street beach

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
And there's a beach by the planetarium, though it's rather small.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And there's a beach by the planetarium, though it's rather small.
yeah that's 12th street beach, but it's so far removed from "downtown" that i hesitate to call it a "downtown beach".

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:

Oh yes, how could I forget that sliver of ohio.

The corner beach is awkward and I wish there was more, that's is all.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
of course not.

just an absurd response to an absurd question.

there are pedestrian/bike under/overpasses to get across LSD every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so.
Thank God. Also why I shouldn't read these while I'm on vacation drinking this early.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The beaches in Chicago are amazing -- to have a beach like Oak St right in downtown.

I don't think Chicago will ever have a Miami Beach like setting with miles upon miles of unbroken sandy beaches, it just won't.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 11:10 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Southern California waters -- you can trunk it right now -- I was in it yesterday afternoon 67-70 degrees. It's still much cooler than last two summers at this time where it was 75-77+, whereas Monterey's August monthly average is in the 50s, although I think they do have some spots reporting in around 60 right now.
Yeah, I can deal with those cooler temps because of acclimation.

Monterey Bay was pretty interesting. The fog just lingers all morning and even appears again sometimes at night. It keeps everything moderate to cool.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Yeah, I can deal with those cooler temps because of acclimation.

Monterey Bay was pretty interesting. The fog just lingers all morning and even appears again sometimes at night. It keeps everything moderate to cool.
Up until about 3-4 days ago, it's been like that down the entire coast this year, I think it's the lingering effects from such a cold wet rainy winter pattern. On Thursday, I had my wipers on driving to work from the dense marine layer mist.

Now it's warm and humid, like it should be.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
it's certainly not miami beach or anything, but that's still a respectable amount of sand swimming beaches for a great lakes city.

especially one on the "wrong" side of the lake where the water currents tend to erode away sand beaches. the west coast of michigan has it easy, the sand just piles up naturally over there.
Toronto is also on the “wrong” side for beaches, but we have a few good ones. The 3 heavily-urbanized Great Lakes all have a built up/industrial coast and a rural, beachy coast.

This year, however, none of us had good beaches on account of record high water levels.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
This year, however, none of us had good beaches on account of record high water levels.
some beaches in chicago have been highly impacted by the near record high water levels, and others have been fine.

of the 3 beaches closest to us that we go to (hollywood, foster, and montrose) only montrose has been negatively impacted, with much of the former beach now transformed into a lagoon. hollywood and foster are still fine.

we also did a beach vacation over michigan with the kiddos back in july, and oval beach in saugatuck was still totally fine.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:16 PM

I've heard the beaches in Chicago are pretty gross, and there is often high levels of e coli in the water. When my sister was living in Chicago, she always told me to avoid the beaches (at least near downtown) because I'd get sick.

A quick Google search says this is correct.
https://news.wttw.com/2019/07/23/stu...o-area-beaches

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:23 PM

The New York Times had a good article about a decade ago about surfing in Cleveland.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/us/10surf.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I've heard the beaches in Chicago are pretty gross, and there is often high levels of e coli in the water. When my sister was living in Chicago, she always told me to avoid the beaches (at least near downtown) because I'd get sick.

A quick Google search says this is correct.
https://news.wttw.com/2019/07/23/stu...o-area-beaches
Too much fertilizer on the fields & overflowing sanitary/storm sewer combos + big rains in the summer months = poopy water

It happens everywhere. They would have to close half of the beaches on the Atlantic coast for the same reason if they monitored the same way they did near Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
i've been going to chicago beaches every summer for the past 43 years.

they're not pristine like some untouched stretch of coast in southern chile, but they are not gross either.

the e coli hysteria is mostly just that. i swam in that same exact water for decades before they even bothered to start testing for that shit, and it never made me sick.

hell, when i was a kid, on summer break i damn near lived at the beach, swimming in that water every single day.

your sister was grossly misinformed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
i've been going to chicago beaches every summer for the past 43 years.

they're not pristine like some untouched stretch of coast in southern chile, but they are not gross either.

the e coli hysteria is mostly just that. i swam in that same exact water for decades before they even bothered to start testing for that shit, and it never made me sick.

hell, when i was a kid, on summer break i damn near lived at the beach, swimming in that water every single day.

your sister was grossly misinformed.
In fairness, there is a lot we can do to improve the water quality of our oceans and rivers.

https://www.hillnow.com/2016/04/22/c...e-of-dog-poop/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
In fairness, there is a lot we can do to improve the water quality of our oceans and rivers.
of course, anything in this world can always be improved.

but my point is that the e.coli menace only became a menace once they started testing for it.

prior to that, no one noticed, no one cared.

this notion that chicago beaches are gross and that you'll get sick if you swim in the water is laughable.

i've been swimming in that water problem-free literally for decades. maybe i've just built up an immunity?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions