HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:01 PM

Hooray for Market Station!

So i got wind of this project in early 06' and bought one of the units in the 1st phase (Central Pionte) and have been really excited to see this get off the ground.. literally! Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding the school district split decision and how it will affect city funding through the RDA?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:05 PM

The district split was for the Jordan school district not Granite. So I don't think any thing will change regarding the RDA.

I can't wait to see this project really start. I pass the project both on my way to and from work. The impact will be great for the surrounding areas.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 11:12 PM

^^^
I agree, next to CCC this is probably one of the most positive projects in the valley. The potential of what this will generate is very exciting.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 6:38 PM

Yes, I really think the developers have the right idea here.

The key to building UP vs. builing OUT is public transportation. As we have seen from many other major cities (New York, Chicago, San Fran), major transportation hubs always breed developement. As the public transit has greatly improved recently for Salt Lake (trax, improved freeway system) I think we will really see a lot more of this in utah with concentrated development along the transportation nodes.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:58 AM

Market Station will be about as tall as American Towers. They're 25-story residential towers.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:23 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
NIce looking Development! Way to go SLC. I likes, is the main tower in the rendering going to be a mixed use tower? Looks like there are some additional filler towers along with the big boy! Nice. That is great news for SLC This might help to sting some additional towers south a bit maybe?

Imagine if the area between this newly planned development and downtown SLC were to be filled in one day??? OMG! That would be one HUGE URBAN DENSIFIED CITY!!!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:52 PM

I agree, it would be great to see towers and a lot more mixed use structures built along main street to link the cities creating a really long skyline view from north to south!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:49 PM

I agree with you guys,I know there are some that feel like we should concentrate on a specific core first in downtown, and I understand the anxiety. I'm as anxious as anybody to see all the development completed between No. Temple and 500 south also, but I'm just as excited to see these great develpments along the TRAX and Commuter lines. I agree it will be great to see a build-up from 21st to CCC, especially on State, Main, and even West Temple. With the predicted advent of 4.00 per gallon gas, all of this new mass-transit along the Wasatch is looking very attractive.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I agree with you guys,I know there are some that feel like we should concentrate on a specific core first in downtown, and I understand the anxiety. I'm as anxious as anybody to see all the development completed between No. Temple and 500 south also, but I'm just as excited to see these great develpments along the TRAX and Commuter lines. I agree it will be great to see a build-up from 21st to CCC, especially on State, Main, and even West Temple. With the predicted advent of 4.00 per gallon gas, all of this new mass-transit along the Wasatch is looking very attractive.
I really think the light rail in SLC will assist more developments in Utah. Seriously good stuff.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:24 AM

I love the concept of this project. Un like L.A. or Denver where the cities have vast amounts of land to grow, Salt Lake is surrounded by mountains, which means that for all the skyscraper lovers, in time, once the valley has been developed and consummed by the suburbs, the only choice we will have, will be to build up.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:02 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
That would be one HUGE URBAN DENSIFIED CITY!!!
To get an idea of how HUGE the city would be, I used Google Earth.

The red area is where our skyline is confined(for now).
The blue is the approximate area of the Market Station development.
The green is the area in between.

That is one huge city!!!
Let's start the construction today!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:17 AM

Sweet!!! I think it rocks when you guys do that. It was not my intent to imply that the whole city would be some massive collection of Skyscrapers. for example, look at all the construction that is currently taking place when it comes to low rise residential. More and more, properties will be bought(especially single family units) to create more multi-level housing, thus putting more people in less space, and also increasing business.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:01 AM

I think you guys are really forgetting about sugarhouse..... that area could turn into a nice little dense area too maybe.

To me, I am fine with any highrise being built in the area with the Wasatch Mountains to the North and East as the border, and I-15 as the west border, and of course i-80 to the south.

So, basically Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and sugarhouse.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
I think you guys are really forgetting about sugarhouse..... that area could turn into a nice little dense area too maybe.

To me, I am fine with any highrise being built in the area with the Wasatch Mountains to the North and East as the border, and I-15 as the west border, and of course i-80 to the south.

So, basically Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and sugarhouse.
I feel pretty much the same way. But once it gets into Sandy...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 7:53 PM

Sugar House!!! Thats right. Not only will there be Growth around transit centers but as Salt Lake becomes more dense especialy within the limits stated by Viperlord you will see areas especially around parks an such, developed to house more and more people. Just think Trolley Square with Liberty Park down the Street. That area in a few years will be prime realty for projects like the one on 21st and Sugar house, but with out the Benefit of Transit. For some reason I picture a Blv with 5 to 7 story buildings lined up on the east side of 7th in front of the park. Almost a Euro feel.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:09 PM

Trolley's between 5th and 6th, and it would be nice to see it expand a little out to the North, West, and also up in density. I've often dreamed of seeing 700 east become a beautiful Park Avenue type corridor. It would be great if many of the non-valuable historical structures, were replaced by attractive multi-level victorians, etc. Future Mayor, how about thinking of the Trolley Square area for some Brownstones?

Last edited by delts145; Nov 15, 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:56 PM

Brownstones... Love that idea! I can think of a few places where I think that type of development would do really well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:31 PM

Your grandchildren will have grandchildren before the valley sees the kind of change you guys are talking about..

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 10:38 PM

^^^ You could be right on that. I would sure rather see us build up along these areas though than in Sandy...

I think that the best scenario is bringing more projects to downtown. However, since SL won't get off it's a** and get moving, at least this will be good for South Salt Lake.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerjet View Post
However, since SL won't get off it's a** and get moving, at least this will be good for South Salt Lake.
I'm not sure I know what that means..? They need to get up off their a**? didn't they just finish a big study about their vision for downtown,
http://www.downtownrising.com/vision/
and its pretty clear that they are hoping to attract this type of development.. The problem is these developers for one reason or another don't want to locate downtown. Does anyone know why? Is it because land is too expensive? Fine. Then buy less of it and build higher! I don't get it. Can someone please clue me in as to what these suburbs have that downtown doesn't have? I'm guessing it's because all these people have large families and can't find or afford a home large enough downtown so they move to the burbs but then they don't want to have to commute either.. is it a 'have your cake and eat it too kind of thing'?
..What can downtown Salt Lake do to be more attractive to these developers? because you're right, they don't want to locate there for some reason. I just can't figure out why. But it has nothing to do with getting off their a**

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West