HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
In New York City do not the majority of the North/South streets have odd numbers on their East sides of the street (as they are farther up Greenwich)? Certainly NY streets don't have both odd and even numbered addresses on the same side usually? Do they? So why is WTC4 150, WTC3 175 and WTC2 200 all on the same side (East) of Greenwich Street?

It's the designation tha was given those buildings. Silverstein could have opted for Church Street, but emphasis was put on the reconnection of Greenwich.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 11:38 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's the designation tha was given those buildings. Silverstein could have opted for Church Street, but emphasis was put on the reconnection of Greenwich.
In rare cases they do make exceptions for large office blocks, but I've also seen streets facing parks that have addresses increasing only by one for each dwelling (i.e. 73, 74, 75, 76...) off of Gramercy Park and in Carroll Gardens. I suppose they can assume there'll never be development on the other side of the street that this would cause complications for.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wtc.com/news/wtc-construc...e-october-2010

Quote:
2 World Trade Center

400 cubic yards of concrete to be poured in footings this month

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:33 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I'm going to put this out here, and a lot of you aren't going to understand why, because you haven't done what I've done, but I ####ing hate Norman Foster right now. I'd like to shove the pointy, yet incredibly and tediously complicated crown...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
I'm going to put this out here, and a lot of you aren't going to understand why, because you haven't done what I've done, but I ####ing hate Norman Foster right now. I'd like to shove the pointy, yet incredibly and tediously complicated crown...
There are many towers that have more complicated designs than this in existence or under construction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Ω

Quote:
What do you mean? Are you somehow involved in its design? It honestly doesn't look overly complicated, maybe a bit above average.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:42 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
What do you mean? Are you somehow involved in its design? It honestly doesn't look overly complicated, maybe a bit above average.
He's trying to render the tower and it sounds as if the crown is a pain in the ass to do properly.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 5:25 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^You have no idea. No two angles are the same and every single corner has to be calculated and adjusted separately. Hours, and hours of work.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
^You have no idea. No two angles are the same and every single corner has to be calculated and adjusted separately. Hours, and hours of work.
But Silverstein is supposed to have some publicly accessible "event" space up there, like they currently do with 7 WTC. So I imagine the views will be worth it, though it's giving you headaches now...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:35 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow! I'm definitely checking that public space once it's completed! I hope they don't end up closing it down or cancel it altogether

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 9:45 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Is this thing going to be 1358, like it says in the thread title, or 1350 like the database says?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Is this thing going to be 1358, like it says in the thread title, or 1350 like the database says?
That last figure came from the revised numbers given. The database numbers are closer to the original. But either one could be inaccurate at this point, depending on where the measurements are taken from. For example, the Freedom Tower has two different parapet heights - the 1,368 ft version given from the Fulton Street (south) side, and the 1,373 ft version from the Vesey Street (north) side, which has a lower elevation at that entrance.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
ouch... I understand... cant you build a square all the way to the roof, and intersect a box in the areas you have to remove, the delete the boxes contents?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:22 AM

Isn't the fact that the angles have to provide light to the memorial a basic way of determining the slants?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:17 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
ouch... I understand... cant you build a square all the way to the roof, and intersect a box in the areas you have to remove, the delete the boxes contents?
Booleans help, but you still have to check for accuracy, which requires more math than I'd care for.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:27 AM
JACKinBeantown

Although I can't do it myself, STR, I understand the amount of work involved. It's looking great.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:58 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Well, here's to you then...

Still not done with the crown though, and there's a couple of facade and interior features that need working out. An observation on the building: The mullions are giant fins that stick out a foot from the building for most of its height. It will have a lot of texture bridging the featureless Tower 1 with the overtextured Tower 3. It will also dramatically change appearances depending on the angle you view it. Finally, the pure verticality in the facade, combined with how the fins can make a side of the building look like it's entire metal and no glass, is more than passingly similar to the Twin Towers.

Last edited by STR; Oct 26, 2010 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 10:16 AM
Website Manager

nice work STR!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
ledru rollin

great job STR, context can really stir emotions~

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That would have been a cool complex also.

Back to the question of height, it was back in 2008 when we began dealing with the other numbers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/ny...on&oref=slogin

Revered Relic of World Trade Center Is Moved

By FERNANDA SANTOS
March 10, 2008

With the staircase out of the way, the construction of Tower 2, a 1,278-foot-tall skyscraper, can continue unimpeded, with workers and machinery now free to move about without risking damage to a piece of 9/11 history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
cpnonline.com

Physical Work on WTC Rebuilding Ramps Up

March 12, 2008
By: Amanda Marsh, Associate Editor

The site is beginning foundation work for Towers 3 and 4 at 175 and 150 Greenwich St., and will be constructed by Tishman Construction, which is also building the Freedom Tower, the Goldman Sachs towers and 99 Church St.

The 1,147-foot Tower 3, designed by Richard Rogers, will contain 2.5 million square feet of office space 150,000 square feet of retail, a 60-foot-tall lobby and direct access to mass transit. Tower 4, designed by Fumihiko Maki, will contain 2.3 million rentable square feet of office space, anchored by the 600,000-square-foot Port Authority lease, and 140,000 square feet of retail space. And Turner Construction will build Tower 2, designed by Norman Foster. The 1,278-foot-tall building will contain 2.8 million square feet of space, which includes office and retail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
Great news, another height increase.
1254' -> 1270' -> 1278'
First time they increased the height by 16', now by 8', do u see a pattern there ? Next height increase will be by 4', then 2' then 1', then 0.5' ... Ultimately it'll end up being close to 1286'. Go ahead, call me a geek, but I might end up being right. (j/k)

I hadn't noticed it, but it was changed here as well: WTC.com

Quote:
Tower 2, also known by its street address, 200 Greenwich Street, features a sparkling glazed crystalline form and diamond-shaped summit that will create a bold addition to the New York skyline. Designed by Foster and Partners, the 79-story tower will be the second-tallest skyscraper on the World Trade Center (WTC) site and in New York City. Located east of the proposed performing arts center and north of the WTC Transportation Hub, Tower 2 will rise to 1,278 feet and be topped by an 80-foot antenna.

The tower will contain five levels of retail; 60 office floors, including a sky lobby, that total 2.8 million rentable square feet; and a 67-foot-high office lobby. It will have a total of eight entrances: five entrances from street level, one below-grade entrances from the WTC Transportation Hub, and two from the retail area. The first office floor begins at 278 feet above street level. A typical office area will offer 45,000 rentable square feet of space. Additionally, there will be four trading floors.

I'm sure the exact numbers will be cleared up eventually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction