HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 5:54 AM
加油

[QUOTE=DevdogAZ;2578672] and that all the decent talent is going to Europe.QUOTE]

Not true. Look at the deal that LA Galaxy did with Europe's number one player David Beckham. See more of these coming in the future.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 9:46 AM

But meanwhile, the Utah taxpayer is stuck with more and more public funds being spent on this project, and a team that will not give them any guarantees. From a development stand-point, public funding of stadium deals is incredibly dubious, and has very little return, other than for sports fans, athletes, team owners, and advertisers. And now it's a concert venue as well?? Are they aware that there are already several outdoor venues along the wasatch? This thing gets more and more disappointing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:46 PM

Here's the answer

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=835950

(KSL News) We've just learned of a devastating setback for the ReAl Salt Lake stadium project.

In the past hour, the Salt Lake County Debt Review Committee voted AGAINST putting the county's hotel tax revenue toward a soccer stadium.

The vote was based on a financial model that projected a much lower profit margin for the Sandy stadium than that put forward by the team.

County representatives on Capitol Hill told KSL they were shocked that it was a 4-to-0 vote.

Looks like this may be the end of the stadium.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:54 PM

So, maybe they can move to Lehi too? If things don't work out for RSL, as a huge soccer fan, I will be disappointed.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5094415

Last edited by newkidontheblock; Jan 26, 2007 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:01 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe the drama with this stupid stadium!!!! if RSL leaves, I will be pissed!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
and that all the decent talent is going to Europe.
Not true. Look at the deal that LA Galaxy did with Europe's number one player David Beckham. See more of these coming in the future.
Sure, Beckham is coming to LA, but he's way past his prime and it's just a publicity grab by him and by the team, not a true effort by the team to try and get good talent. It smacks of when Gretzky went to the Blues and Rangers at the end of his career, or when Montana went to the Chiefs. Sure, Beckham might have a decent year or two left in him, but this signing is not about top talent coming to the MLS. It's all about Beckham, whose name is worth millions in the European market, trying to create the same market for his name here in the U.S. and MLS trying to cash in on it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:07 PM

I think a lot of us will be upset if they leave.

I was looking foward to this deal going through. Mostly because of the soccer acadamy that would have been built in SLC. But also because it is another top level sport.

All the people that came to SLC when Real Madrid came, most came to see Beckham.

I really hope that the SL County Council looks at the benefits and agrees to fund the infrustructure for the stadium.

With the eyes of the soccer world on SL County, now would be the time to act for the benefit of the growing sport, not for thoughts of debt.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
Exit 298

Exclamation Bad News For Real Salt Lake

Debt Review Committee says Real Salt Lake not financially viable
By Leigh Dethman
Deseret Morning News

Real Salt Lake is not financially viable, the Salt Lake County Debt Review Committee ruled Friday.
Now Mayor Peter Corroon must decide if he will go against the committee's recommendation and still vote to give the team $30 million in public funding.
"It's my decision, and I'll live with the consequences," Corroon said. He said he expects to make a decision within a week.
Real officials bolted after the committee meeting and did not answer questions from the media.
The team's weaknesses far outweighed the strengths, according to the committee's recommendation to Corroon. One major weakness was that the committee believes Real won't be able to pay off its debts.
"That's the problem there, they end up with so much debt and so much debt service," said Larry Richardson, county treasurer and chairman of the committee. "I said from the get-go, if it didn't cover the debt service, I couldn't vote for it."
Real Salt Lake leaders believe they can make more than enough money through ticket sales and concerts at the stadium to pay off the debt.
However, the committee didn't believe all of Real's "sunny" concert assumptions, said Doug Willmore, the county's chief administrative officer.
The committee was also concerned that the team's private investors would not commit funds if the team continues to lose money.

----------------

Ouch! I mean, I can be a real raincloud about the whole RSL stadium thing ... but those looks worse than I thought. Maybe that means the RSL Stadium isn't going to happen. Rats.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 11:05 PM
Bring out the cranes...

^&%&$#......................That's it then. Salt Lake is going to lose the team.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 11:44 PM

I have heard the debt review commitee also said that Franklin Covey was a bad idea as well as the E-Center. And they were still built.

I now see a lot of back door meetings and phone calls going on.

In the end, someone will mention to the county that since they will own the land, they aren't going to lose anything in the deal. And then sometime Tuesday night, we will hear about breaking news from the County Offices. Mayor Corroon will hold a press conference with Checketts and Fredie Adu, stating that the stadium deal is complete and construction will begin before the weekend.

Okay, that is my prediction based on previous Utah politics regarding sporting arenas.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I have heard the debt review commitee also said that Franklin Covey was a bad idea as well as the E-Center. And they were still built.

I now see a lot of back door meetings and phone calls going on.

In the end, someone will mention to the county that since they will own the land, they aren't going to lose anything in the deal. And then sometime Tuesday night, we will hear about breaking news from the County Offices. Mayor Corroon will hold a press conference with Checketts and Fredie Adu, stating that the stadium deal is complete and construction will begin before the weekend.

Okay, that is my prediction based on previous Utah politics regarding sporting arenas.
Makid, your prediction might seem a little optimistic to some, but I say you are DEAD ON. Especially with emphasis on the back door meetings and phone calls part. I've said it before and I will say it again,"There are some very influencial people who will not let this die."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 2:28 AM

...all that may be true, but I have concerns about whether or not this can turn a profit too. Maybe it's best to plant the seeds now and get it in, and then 10-20 years from now we'll have the population to sustain it; but right now it's not gonna pull its own weight with either soccer or concert revenue.

Sometimes when you build it...they don't come.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:33 PM

Post Stadium deal doomed?

I agree with you Jedi that we should build it now. I also feel that the stadium will have a resounding draw amongst Utahn's and their families, now. No other sport has wider appeal amongst kids, and one thing that Utahn's are very much about, are their kids. That's what this stadium and its surrounding fields should be about more than anything else,"the kids."

County number-crunchers call it a risky investment

By Leigh Dethman
Deseret Morning News
A stadium deal for Real Salt Lake could be dead by next week.
Salt Lake County's Debt Review Committee unanimously voted Tuesday that giving $30 million in hotel-tax revenue to help finance the $110 million soccer stadium in Sandy is a risky investment. Two members of the committee abstained from voting.
County Mayor Peter Corroon now must weigh the odds. He said he will decide early next week whether to recommend that the Salt Lake County Council commit public funding for the stadium.
"I'm not one who has never taken gambles in my life," Corroon said. "But if I don't think it's a risk worth taking, I won't."
Team owner Dave Checketts believes public funding for a stadium is not a gamble at all.
"There is little to no risk for the taxpayers of Salt Lake County," Checketts said in a written statement.
Even in the "unlikely" event that the team fails and abandons the stadium, Checketts said, the county still comes out on top: Salt Lake County would still hold "substantial assets" after the team leaves, including $13 million in land that will appreciate in value over the years and a shared parking lot with the South Towne Exposition Center.
The team would also have to pay the county $10 million if it moves within 30 years, if Corroon were to approve the deal.
But that wasn't enough to sway the Debt Review Committee. The team's weaknesses far outweighed the strengths, according to the committee's recommendation to Corroon.
The deal-breaker for committee chairman Larry Richardson was that he believes Real won't be able to pay off its debts. The committee based its decision on a financial model that blended the team's projections with figures from an independent financial consultant.
According to the committee's financial model, the team wouldn't have enough money to pay its $3.3 million in yearly debt obligations in four out of the next seven years.
"That's the problem there — they end up with so much debt and so much debt service," said Richardson, who also serves as county treasurer. "I said from the get-go, if it didn't cover the debt service, I couldn't vote for it."
Real Salt Lake leaders believe that they can make more than enough money through ticket sales and concerts at the stadium to pay off the debt.
The committee, however, didn't believe all of Real's "sunny" concert assumptions, said Doug Willmore, the county's chief administrative officer.
The committee's hybrid financial model cut the team's concert projections in half: The team forecast 11 to 18 concerts a year, but the committee predicted four to 11 a year. The committee also shaved the team's concert-attendance projections by 5,500 fans.
County number-crunchers also slashed projected attendance figures at Real games: The committee believes Real can get only as many as 12,800 people to buy tickets in 2013, while Real believes nearly 17,000 will pay up.
Checketts said he knows he can achieve Real's projections, because he's a veteran in the sports business.
"Throughout the review of our proposal, the committee has undervalued our experience in building and running professional franchises and entertainment venues," Checketts said. "Further, they have overvalued a pessimistic view that Salt Lake County really doesn't have the people and the market to make this sort of 'major league' project a reality. We continue to disagree with this sort of attitude."
Another weakness in the Real business plan was the financial "uncertainties," according to the committee's recommendation to the mayor. The team has only a "moral obligation" with the county to give the team $10 million in 2011 and another $10 million in 2015. If a future County Council were to decide not to bond for that money, the committee wasn't sure what would happen to the team's finances.
The other major uncertainty is the amount that Sandy would contribute to the project. The original deal plan, agreed to last August, called for $30 million from the county, $15 million from Sandy and an undisclosed amount from private investors.
The committee believes Sandy can raise only $7.5 million through a redevelopment-agency bond, although no taxing district has committed its money yet.
Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan insists the city can come up with the $7.5 million in redevelopment-agency dollars for the stadium.
"I'm not surprised about anything that happens in Salt Lake County," said Dolan. "We weren't invited to give much input into it, and I think they're using it as a scapegoat in their decision-making process. We know how we can come up with the money for it. But that's really not of interest to them. That's a cop-out."
Dolan said Corroon promised he would call the Sandy leader before he makes his decision next week. Sandy's next course of action will be determined after that, Dolan said.
Although Real insists it can't survive without a stadium of its own, Checketts isn't giving up yet.
"We remain hopeful that Mayor Corroon and the County Council will look beyond politics and have the vision to do what is best for Salt Lake County," Checketts said.

Deseret Morning News graphic

Last edited by delts145; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:23 PM
Exit 298

If Real had a winning season (like National champs) then they'll succeed. If not they'll fizzle like the Golden Eagles and get sold.

I think the only reason Jazz are here is because Larry played philanthropist and was willing to lose for a while to keep them. Frankly, Larry could probably have no trouble selling tha Jazz, but even when the going gets tough, he's a Jazz fan. Heck, he even owns a TV stations just to air the games.

However, if RSL is going to be nickle-and-dime-ing the county for money forever, I can't see them lasting too long.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 PM

Thumbs up Sandy presses on with soccer plan

By Rosemary Winters
and Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

SANDY - City officials are moving forward with plans to bring Real Salt Lake's soccer stadium to this southern Salt Lake County suburb even as questions remain about the city's ability to help fund the project and whether county government will quash the deal.
On Thursday, Sandy's Planning Commission listened to the team's engineering consultant outline traffic and parking issues surrounding the proposed stadium site near 9400 South and State Street. The team hopes the commission will sign off on its site plan in the next month so construction can begin.
Randy Sant, Sandy's economic development director, told Salt Lake County officials this week that Sandy may be providing $8 million to $9 million for the stadium, instead of the $15 million previously promised.
But that's not a problem, Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said in an interview Thursday.
Sandy's commitment, in the form of tax-increment financing, has always hinged on the size of the project that Real Salt Lake builds, Dolan said.
"What we're saying is we don't have any other funds" for the stadium than the property taxes produced by the project, itself, Dolan said, noting the city would never tap general funds.
"Real has assured us that they would make up a gap, if there is a gap."
So Dolan won't be asking the Legislature to make up Sandy's balance in the public-private partnership. But he indicated he may seek a stadium solution on Capitol Hill should Salt Lake County back out, dropping its $30 million pledge.
Salt Lake County's independent financial consultants are presenting their findings to the county's debt review team today.
"Hopefully, the county will make a [positive] decision. We'll see how it goes," Dolan said. If the county pulls out of the project, "then I'll look to the Legislature to help - but not with state funds."
Sandy's ability to pony up $15 million for the stadium partly hinges on whether Jordan School District agrees to forfeit property taxes it would collect from new development. Sandy is legally required to ask all the taxing entities in the area whether they want to opt into the project.
Although Jordan School District has not taken an official position, public sentiment has been clear, according to spokeswoman Melinda Colton.
One day after Sandy's Sant broached the topic at a county meeting, phones began "ringing off the hook," she said.
"People are calling in to express their outrage," she said, noting that "99.9 percent" of the feedback has been against the idea.
Dolan added that he doesn't intend to use restaurant sales taxes to help fund the stadium, should a bill pass that would redistribute a portion collected by Salt Lake County to the cities where the taxes are generated.
Instead, Dolan would like to see Sandy's share of restaurant taxes fund a community arts center.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 12:30 PM

Sandy now says it can provide team $15M

Turns out, Sandy can generate the $15 million in redevelopment dollars pledged to Real Salt Lake even without participation from the Jordan School District, the suburb's economic development director says. Randy Sant suggested Friday that if Salt Lake County approves public funding for the proposed soccer stadium, Sandy could funnel the new property taxes to RSL in two installments. "We will consider issuing $10 million based on the $110 million taxing entity for the stadium now," Sant said. "Then, when Real expands to $135 million [for a planned hotel and broadcast studio], we could issue the extra $5 million." Sant's comments contradict earlier statements that the city could come up with only $11 million without the school money, leaving a $4 million gap. On Thursday, Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said RSL would have to cover such a funding hole. But Sant suggests a better tax rate would allow the suburb to cover the cost. "We don't think the school district will change its mind in any way, shape or form," Sant said. Dean Howes, the team's CEO, said he is certain the "Sandy problem will get solved." But county Mayor Peter Corroon is less convinced. "That's still a big question," he said. - Derek P. Jensen

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 4:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

This whole RSL news has been keeping me on the edge of my seat for a week now. Are they going to built it? or not?

Looks like Sandy city really wants the stadium to work out since having it in their city would help Sandy out.

But what bugs me the most is the team owner Dave Checketts. ( I think that's how his last name is spelled ) Anyway You'd think he would have the money, or at least most of the money to build the Stadium, but yet he expects the county and Sandy city to fork over all the money to build his stadium.

I met Dave once and for what I could see he seem like a stuck up rich guy who thinks he's better then everyone and does really care for the people, unless they make HIM money.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

But what bugs me the most is the team owner Dave Checketts. ( I think that's how his last name is spelled ) Anyway You'd think he would have the money, or at least most of the money to build the Stadium, but yet he expects the county and Sandy city to fork over all the money to build his stadium.

:

Projects,

While I don't wish to get into all of the politics here, the money they are requesting is for infrastructure like roads, sewer, power lines, etc. The money they are requesting would not go towards the stadium itself. Just like you wouldn't expect a builder to pay for the roads, sewer, power lines, etc. that lead to his property, RSL does not wish to pay for theirs. At some point this money will be spent regardless, to make this raw land developable, and to provide the necessary upgrades to the surrounding roads.

Mayor Caroon has very little to lose in the form of our money (this money is a new tax that is a transient tax, the county would own this prime piece of real estate, and there is a safeguard that RSL must pay the county 10 million if the they leave or fold), but he does have a lot to loose in the public eye. The biggest problem I see with this (other than it will not be downtown) is that the majority of the public is not educated on how this complex arrangement is set up. If you ask most people, they simply say that they do not want their tax money going into the hands of some rich guy that should do it himself. They point to how the Delta Center didn’t need a hand out (FYI they did receive a very comparable package). The very papers that are against RSL getting this money are made in a facility that they received 10 million in subsidies to build.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:49 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
If Real had a winning season (like National champs) then they'll succeed. If not they'll fizzle like the Golden Eagles and get sold.

I think the only reason Jazz are here is because Larry played philanthropist and was willing to lose for a while to keep them. Frankly, Larry could probably have no trouble selling tha Jazz, but even when the going gets tough, he's a Jazz fan. Heck, he even owns a TV stations just to air the games.

However, if RSL is going to be nickle-and-dime-ing the county for money forever, I can't see them lasting too long.
The Golden Eagles never "fizzled", Miller just sold them for no real reason. This was after he promised the Salt Lake community that he wouldn't give the team up, as they had been a staple in the community for 25 years. Though the Golden Eagles weren't winning like they did from 1973-'92 (they made the playoffs every year during that span), they still had some of the highest attendance numbers in the IHL.

They had established themselves as Salt Lake's biggest professional team, long before the Jazz arrived in Salt Lake City. Then when they started losing, Miller sold them to a Michigan group and the rest is history. I'd take the Golden Eagles, playing in a nice arena downtown, over the damn Utah Grizzlies.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:02 PM

I just heard on the radio that Perter Caroon made the decision not to build the stadium. Checketts said ReAl will stay in SLC this year and be sold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West