HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 1:18 AM
Bring out the cranes...

RSL Stadium?.......Will it happen?

As we know RSL wants to built it 20,000 seat stadium in Sandy right off of 9400 South and State Street. Last August city leaders and Team leaders had the ground breaking of the stadium. But five mouths later nothing happens. The site is still just a field. There has been money issues with the stadium since day one. Who should pay for the 100 million dollar stadium? Should the people of salt lake be tax? Or should the money come from our schools? or should the money come out of other projects such as trax?
Real Salt Lake will be starting their 3rd season in April and still no studium to play in. What will be the outcome? Is the stadium deal really dead? or is there still hope? Does anyone even give a flying fuck about RSL anymore? Will the stadium get built in Sandy?......Could salt lake get it?.......Or will we lose the team?
There's alot of things we could be asking about RSL right now. But there's one thing we don't want to be asking is When is the last game of RSL here in utah? or What state is the team moving to?

Here is the latest on KSL..................................

House Speaker Withdraws Support for Soccer Stadium Funding Plan
January 9th, 2007 @ 4:55pm

John Daley Reporting

That's an abrupt turn in the long and winding story of a stadium for ReAl Salt Lake.

The Speaker of the House says the deal is dead and he may re-allocate the funding.

ReAl Salt Lake will play at Rice-Eccles Stadium next season. They planned to open their new stadium in Sandy in spring of 2008. But that's now up in the air, and the clock is ticking.

Fifteen months ago ReAl Salt Lake made its big announcement in Sandy. Despite the celebratory tone that day many details remained unanswered. Utah's House Speaker basked in the news that the team was coming to his town in a deal he helped engineer.

But now he seems inches away from pulling hotel tax funding after telling the paper and KSL Radio's Doug Wright that the plans are dead.

The Speaker survived a reelection bid by just 20 votes, with some voters in his district frustrated over the stadium issue and he makes note of that today.

Greg Curtis (R), Utah House Speaker: "I had an extremely close election, ok? I mean it was covered in the papers for weeks. I'm not going to change what I think is good policy. I respect that people disagree with me, but I'm not going to change it and say 'oh gosh I need to start being political in regards to making my decision. And if it means that it's my last term so be it."

Salt Lake County officials, weighing whether to help fund the stadium, pushed up the schedule for a committee to review it today.

Joe Hatch (D), Salt Lake County Council: "Obviously he does not trust Salt Lake County and we've gotta rebuild that trust and do whatever we can to rebuild it."

Doug Willmore, Chief Administrative Officer: "The deal…The speaker is saying it may be dead. Is it dead? Not for us. We're going to continue to go through the process that the mayor laid out many months ago. We're near the end and hopefully complete that before we make a decision."

So, is the stadium deal over? The speaker points to county officials and is leaving the door slightly open.

Greg Curtis (R), Utah House Speaker: "Understand the urgency and move forward in good faith."

Calls to the speaker's office today requesting an interview were not returned. ReAl owner Dave Checketts is in town and was visiting the editorial boards of the daily papers today but declined our request for an interview. Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan says he is optimistic the deal can still get done.

The stadium deal may look like it's in trouble, but it's still alive. The county will get back the report of a consultant next week. Then a debt review committee will take a look at it before handing it over to the public officials.

It's in the hands of the county. Expect a final thumbs up or down within the next few weeks.

Thoughts?...................What do you guys think? Does RSL really have what it takes to stay here? Will the city leaders and team owners find a way to make a real deal so the freaking stadium can be built already? Is there any hope for this team whatsoever?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 10, 2007 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 1:44 AM
Mile High Guy

I hope it ends up in SLC. So many MLS cities are building new soccer stadiums.

The Colorado Rapids soccer stadium (Dicks Sporting Goods Field) is basically complete now and opens in a few months.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:30 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Dave Checketts isn't giving up..................at least not yet.

clock Jan 9, 2007 5:21 pm US/Mountain
Checketts: Real Stadium Deal Nearly Done

Real Salt Lake owner Dave Checketts says he's still optimistic that the plan for a new soccer stadium is nearly done.

Checketts says the contracts are "90 percent" done and he's confident the deal will go through. There have been multiple delays in getting the $45 million in public funds for part of the stadium construction.

Utah House speaker Greg Curtis said that he's working on a bill to take the hotel tax revenue that could go to the stadium project and use it on other projects. If he completes the bill, he could introduce it in the Legislature next week.

The county is still waiting for an independent consultant's report on the funding plan. The county still has to approve the deal.

Checketts hopes to have the 20-thousand seat stadium open in summer 2008.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 6:42 AM
Honored Member

Question Is it Sandy City or the State of UT?

This is convoluted. Checketts always has positive spin, which probably most owners do. But, who is this person in the Utah House that says it's a dead deal? Is is dead only to Sandy, or UT? SHould we all be contacting our local legislators and tell them to make this happen? Too many unanswered questions for me.

Wish Checketts would tell what 10% of the deal if holding it up (like zoning or other) so other cities might make offers.

SLP- Do you honestly think most people south of 7200 South, want to keep driving downtown for PRO games? I know Denver and other cities have grouped their sports complexes. But, there aren't two mountain ranges on either side of the valley like we have. I anticipate when the need arises for a new NBA basketball arena, it won't go downtown, but more like Midvale, West Jordan or Sandy (depending on ReAL). Of course, that is only my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:42 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Bad Luck,

RSL is having tons of bad luck now it seem like.......

Part of Land Designated for Real Stadium May Be Contaminated
January 10th, 2007 @ 12:05pm

(KSL News) After getting a slap in the face from House Speaker Greg Curtis, ReAL Salt Lake gets another dose of bad news. Salt Lake County District Attorney Lohra Miller surprised the County Council yesterday when she announced part of the land designated for the 110 million dollar stadium may be tainted by petroleum, oil and other waste.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports a study by a Sandy-based company found a one-thousand gallon underground petroleum storage tank located at one end of the property. Waste-oil storage drums, construction debris and other trash have also been stored there.

The county must resolve the pollution question before it can issue the bonds. Miller says it's too early to determine if the contamination is extensive.

I was at that groundbreaking last August and that now explans why i'm glowing green in the dark. LOL. But no really this is the last thing RSL needs right now on top of other issues. Talk about bad luck for the team and owners who just what to get the thing built already. What's next are all the players going to get sick and die one by one?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post Sandy supports Real deal

By Leigh Dethman and Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News

SANDY — The Sandy City Council voted unanimously in favor of the Real Salt Lake stadium Tuesday night, and Salt Lake County leaders are about to find out if the Major League Soccer franchise is a worthy investment.
While Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan has been a strong advocate for the stadium and immersed in the details of those plans, the City Council has been out of the loop, and its backing of the project has been questioned.
But the unanimous pledge by council members made it clear they support the public/private partnership to build the $110 million stadium and adjoining hotel and broadcast studio.
The resolution cited economic impact, high youth soccer participation, a strong commercial center around the South Towne and Jordan Commons business district, and significant growth in the valley as reasons to pass the resolution.
"Now, therefore, be it resolved that the mayor and City Council of Sandy City do strongly support the process for a public/private partnership that will result in the construction of the Real Salt Lake soccer stadium and its planned surrounding development in Sandy City," the resolution states.
The potential economic impact of the team is the main issue holding up a $30 million investment in county dollars to help build the stadium in Sandy. The county's Debt Review Committee will convene today in the first of three meetings to determine if the MLS franchise is on solid financial ground.
"We have a proposal that Real has agreed to," Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon said Tuesday. "One of the things I would like to see is whether they can live up to the terms of the agreement. If Real says they'll give us 50 cents of ticket revenue based on 20,000 seats, we want to see if that's going to happen."
In August, Corroon shook hands with Real officials and gave his support to a deal that would give the team $30 million in hotel-tax revenue to help build the stadium. Sandy has pledged an additional $15 million in redevelopment agency funds. The stadium is expected to cost $110 million.
The entire deal, however, depends on a review of the team's finances by both an independent consultant and the Debt Review Committee.
Five months after the August agreement, the financial reviews are finally gaining momentum. The independent consultant's report is due back Thursday, and the County Council has asked the Debt Review Committee to try to make a recommendation by next Tuesday.
County treasurer Larry Richardson, who serves as the Debt Review Committee's chairman, said a recommendation probably won't be ready by then.
Councilman Joe Hatch disagrees. He believes the committee is asking too many questions that have nothing to do with the team's financial viability. To date, members of the Debt Review Committee have put together about 100 questions they want to ask Real officials. Hatch said that in a courtroom, a judge facing a similar scenario would say, "You're doing this to delay. You get 20. Pick your 20 best."
"Actions speak louder than words. It appears that the actions we are taking are delay, delay, delay," Hatch said. "We need to show we're not the ones delaying this."
Corroon said he is not delaying at all. He said he wishes the Debt Review Committee would have made a decision "two months ago" but believes the committee must have enough time to make an informed decision.
They can't do that yet, Corroon said, because Real still has not provided all the information the county needs to make a decision. Corroon has insisted that anything the county pays for, the county must own. According to a letter Tuesday from District Attorney Lohra Miller to the County Council, the county still has no idea what land the county would purchase from Real.
County leaders can't do environmental analyses on the land they will potentially buy without knowing what land they will own, Miller said.
The county also doesn't know if Real has secured a deal with Whitehall, a real estate fund of global financier Goldman Sachs, to own a 50 percent share of the team.
Doug Willmore, the county's chief administrative officer, said the investment firm is probably waiting to see whether the county will fork over public funds before investing private dollars.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 2:34 PM

Post Soccer officials keep eye on Utah dealings.

The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 01/17/2007 12:26:41 AM MST

David Beckham may be headed to Los Angeles, but much of Major League Soccer's brass is focused this week on Salt Lake City.
League president Mark Abbott - also the author of the MLS business plan - is in town. Real Salt Lake owner Dave Checketts makes his second trip from New York in a week. And, MLS Commissioner Don Garber made it a priority to phone The Salt Lake Tribune from Mexico to weigh in.
The issue, of course: whether Salt Lake County will approve a contentious $110 million Sandy stadium deal, which could be decided in the next few weeks.
The county's fiscal consultant and its Debt Review Committee are poised to deliver financial findings - meetings are planned today, Friday and early next week - as parties on all sides sense that an answer to the stadium saga finally is near.
However it goes, the DRC will face major-league pressure during its meetings with executives from both the team and the league perched less than a throw-in away.
"We're very hopeful that this moves in the right direction," said Garber, traveling in Mexico with Chivas USA. "We very much believe in this team. We believe in the city. We believe in the state. We do believe in Dave Checketts. We are pleased with the success he's had so far, but we need to take that to the next level."
With that, a warning of sorts from the commissioner. "It is very difficult for me to imagine how [RSL] can stay in the market without some sort of plan for a future stadium," Garber added.
He made it clear there is no shortage of cities vying for expansion markets. Should Checketts & Co. get bad news this month, Garber says the MLS board will huddle to consider its next move.
Thing is, the nine-member DRC, which likely controls the stadium's fate, is a far stretch from the politicians frequently posturing in news stories.
These are number guys. And they're serious. Think bond yield, spending tests, draw schedules along with positive and negative arbitrage and you get an idea.
Checketts and Garber are calculating that the numbers are on their side. But once the DRC gives its recommendation, final approval still must come from county Mayor Peter Corroon and the County Council. And each has rejected - and embraced - RSL once before.
- Derek P. Jensen

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:09 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Doesn't it seem like that all of this happen before, like this time last year?
People can't seem to make up their minds. county leaders say they want the stadium one day and then they don't the following day.

And yea i bet the MLS has their eyes on salt lake. Just watching and waiting for us to srew up so we end up selling the team. I'm sure there's alot of people just waiting in line to place their bids on RSL.

If county leadings REALLY knows what's BEST for salt lake county and for all of utah then they will FIND a way to make this deal work out.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 10:24 AM

Well, the stadium still could be built on the State Fairgrounds! Wasn't that a cheaper plan anyway?? Why does this thing keep getting more and more expensive??? I'm more over this development drama than I am over the Hamilton Partner's tower. Could we please just bury them both, and move on.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
I'm more over this development drama than I am over the Hamilton Partner's tower. Could we please just bury them both, and move on.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 12:52 PM

Gentlemen, the stadium will happen. There are some very influential and wealthy people who will step in to the picture if Sandy and or the County drops the ball. It's very common for this type of development to squeeze out all public funds possible before construction begins. This is a normal, albeit frustrating part of the process.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:40 AM
Exit 298

I hate to be the RSL raincloud but here's what I think will happen....

2007: RSL will sucker SL County into giving them money for a stadium, even though Rice-Eccles would be fine.

2009: Stadium Completed ... overbudget, smaller, and very very average ... high school bleachers.

2011: RSL announces they aren't selling enough tickets to pay mortgage on stadium.

2013: RSL sold to another major city. SL Country residents get the shaft for loaning money in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 11:39 AM

I-215, My bud, you know I think your one cool dude, and I usually agree with you. But your predictions above are about as accurate as a prediction of the Mormon Church converting a Temple in to a bowling alley. But I do appreciate your sense of humor. It was sarcasm,right?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

2007: RSL will sucker SL County into giving them money for a stadium, even though Rice-Eccles would be fine.

2009: Stadium Completed ... overbudget, smaller, and very very average ... high school bleachers.

2011: RSL announces they aren't selling enough tickets to pay mortgage on stadium.

2013: RSL sold to another major city. SL Country residents get the shaft for loaning money in the first place.

Let's hope not.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:34 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Rice-Eccles isn't fine. This is "real" football where you don't want a crown on the field. Also sight lines like the difference between hockey and basketball are different. (it's why the "Delta Center" isn't a good hockey venue).

Just look at what happened after the Utes remodeled Rice-Eccles-- un-defeated season.

Maybe if RSL gets a top notch, first-class facility they will go undefeated.

I do like the location better than at Rice-Eccles. Easier to get to from Utah county, but not for Weber or Davis county fans.

After that I can somewhat agree with you. If RSL keeps losing, people will stop attending, RSL will move and the county & state will have a great facility to plan high school soccer games and local park and rec games in.

I still say, pay the money, and build the place, but get some concessions built into the contract to protect Utah if they fold or move. (Not a lawyer, so I don't know what they might be that you could hold a bankrupt team to.)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 11:39 AM

Real's plan short of cash?

By Leigh Dethman
Deseret Morning News
Real Salt Lake might not be able to pay its debts on an ongoing basis, including generating funds for a proposed new stadium in Sandy, a consulting firm reported after reviewing the team's financial plans.
But the Major League Soccer franchise says the report failed to look at the big picture, including the stadium's potential as a major concert venue.
An independent financial review released Friday predicts that even in the best of circumstances, Real Salt Lake will fall more than $1 million short of paying its debt for the stadium.
In a worst-case scenario, Real would have only $201,000 in the bank to pay off at least $3.3 million in debt a year, according to the report by Economics Research Associates. The report looked only at the stadium's cash flow, not the team's overall operations, including a radio station.
Real Salt Lake leaders believe they can make more than enough money through ticket sales and concerts at the stadium to pay off the debt.
If that doesn't work, the team has a backup plan: additional profits made through Real's profit-sharing agreement with MLS and radio and team operations. In 2009, that amount is projected at $3.7 million.
Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon said finding out if Real can pay off its debts is key to a stadium funding deal.
"That really is what's going to make it or break it," Corroon said. His staff is plugging in both Real's financial projections and ERA's numbers to come up with the county's own model. "We'll see how it turns out."
ERA's report considers Real's business plan a little too ambitious. That was an assumption that team officials knew was coming.
"With all due respect to ERA, their assumptions are, in our view, unrealistically conservative," said Gary Reimer, Real's chief financial officer.
Team owner Dave Checketts believes he can book 11 concerts a year, but the ERA report said at best, the stadium could bring in six concerts.
Joel Peresman, president and chief executive officer of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said Checketts' plan for 11 concerts a year "is easily attainable." Peresman has worked for Checketts in the past, when they both were employed at New York's Madison Square Garden.
Peresman said Checketts and his management team "are uniquely qualified, experienced and have the entertainment-business connections that position them to be able to maximize concert traffic for this new facility."
At minimum, the ERA report said, Checketts could expect two concerts a year at the Sandy stadium.
That baffles Real officials.
"To suggest we would only put on two concerts a year, we just can't fathom that," Reimer said. "Why would we even be in this business? I just don't understand how they conclude that."
Jeff Cohen, ERA's director of sports facilities consulting, said the fact that other outdoor venues nationwide have trouble booking concerts and Utah's climate — which only allows outdoor events five months out of the year — led the firm to predict a low number of concerts at the Sandy stadium.
After the Deseret Morning News asked what would happen if Real could book 10 concerts, Cohen re-ran the numbers. If that happens, the stadium would have $3.2 million in the bank after operating expenses to pay off stadium construction bonds — still $100,000 short of Real's potential debt payments.
"We have not found any outdoor venue that does double digit concerts on an annual basis," Cohen said. "There are only so many acts going around. The concerts are a big driver in this venue."
Real officials believe there are more than enough tours to go around, as other outdoor venues are able to book more than triple the number of shows Real plans.
At Colorado's Red Rocks Amphitheater, organizers host up to 40 concerts a year, with a capacity of 10,000 seats. And at Jones Beach Amphitheater in New York, with approximately 15,000 seats, 40-plus concerts fill the stage yearly.
ERA also softened Real's predictions for ticket prices.
The team forecasts a 29 percent jump in average ticket prices from the year the stadium opens in 2008 until 2012 — with prices jumping from $22.78 to $29.42.
ERA believes the Salt Lake market can't follow that trend. The ERA report shows just 10 percent growth in ticket prices during that same time frame, with prices starting out at $22.50 on the stadium's opening day, capping out at $24.85 per ticket in 2012.
Salt Lake County leaders hired the financial-consulting firm to evaluate the stadium's operations and the team's business plan.
The Debt Review Committee is trying to determine if Real Salt Lake is a worthy business in which to invest public dollars. A decision from the committee could come as soon as Monday.
Both Corroon and the County Council have said a stadium-funding deal hinges on the committee's approval. Real Salt Lake is asking for $30 million in hotel-tax revenue from the county and $15 million in redevelopment agency dollars from Sandy.
The committee will meet again Monday and is scheduled to either make a recommendation or give a status report to the council on Tuesday.

Deseret Morning News graphic

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 3:24 AM

damn it it's my guess that we better kiss em goodbye! grr and I was looking foward to having a pro soccer team in utah, oh well guess it's just our luck

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:19 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Valley Freak View Post
damn it it's my guess that we better kiss em goodbye! grr and I was looking foward to having a pro soccer team in utah, oh well guess it's just our luck

Happy valley freak, we can't just give up on RSL yet. There's still hope that a deal will be make. The way I see it, it's not over til it's over.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:49 AM

I just don't understand why anyone in Utah (or anywhere else) cares about this. Nobody watches the MLS. Supposedly it's a "major league" but they barely ever mention it on national sportscasts. I'll be surprised if the league lasts much longer, as every time I hear anything about it, it's that attendance is down across the board, the TV ratings are abysmal, and that all the decent talent is going to Europe.

So whether the stadium deal goes through or not, I think I-215's predictions are the most likely to happen. It's just a dead-end league and even though Utah doesn't have much else in the sports department, you really shouldn't be putting this much effort into this deal.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I just don't understand why anyone in Utah (or anywhere else) cares about this. Nobody watches the MLS. Supposedly it's a "major league" but they barely ever mention it on national sportscasts. I'll be surprised if the league lasts much longer, as every time I hear anything about it, it's that attendance is down across the board, the TV ratings are abysmal, and that all the decent talent is going to Europe.

So whether the stadium deal goes through or not, I think I-215's predictions are the most likely to happen. It's just a dead-end league and even though Utah doesn't have much else in the sports department, you really shouldn't be putting this much effort into this deal.
no, it's not a "major league" sport by NFL, NBA, MLB standards, but it is the top league of it's sport. and no, attendance is NOT down and interest IS on the way up. We live in a 1 horse town and whenever any league wants to play here (especially top league in it's sport) then we will take it in hopes that one of the other big 2 comes to town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West