HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
With Independents hooked on to Presidents Choice, isn't that kind of the same thing?
Independent is a Loblaws brand for sure, and we happen to have one downtown, but I think what they're saying is that they're surprised that Loblaws doesn't have a specific urban brand. Sobeys has Urban Fresh, WalMart has Neighbourhood Market in the US. Loblaws tends to just have regular banner stores in urban areas, as does Metro.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 10:38 PM

Perhaps Longo's will make it's way up here, as Sobey's recently signalled their intent to purchase a majority stake in the company?

Sobeys parent company to buy 51% stake in Longo's, Grocery Gateway

Last edited by citydwlr; Apr 12, 2021 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:46 PM

Never been to Longo's but I've heard of them. They have some urban formats in Toronto. It would be a good fit.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
To me Farm Boy is more of a specialty/fruit and veggies grocery store. i can never do my full weekly groceries by only going to farm boy.
That it kinda the point. It's there's to provide green groceries and some specialty items. It's a store that you'll hit 1-2 times a week. But then you hit the Loblaws or Metro or Costco once every two weeks for everything else.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Please, not another Farm Boy. Farm Boys are fine, but give me some variety. At this point, it's like Farm Boy has exclusive rights to transit, with Rideau, Bayview (Trinity Centre), Westboro (Westboro Connections) and Little Italy (proposed residential complex). Add Metcalfe and this one, if it is F.B.

I hope to see a full service grocery store. Sucks that people only have access to food via the various Farm Boys linked to or near transit while having to walk to pharmacy a few blocks further for bulkier items like toiletries or pet food.
Blame the other chains. Virtually nobody but Farm Boy realized that Ottawa was getting development that made urban grocery stores more appropriate. Close behind them was Sobeys with Urban Fresh. But nobody else really bothered. And now that these two have merged, Farm Boy basically owns the downtown core.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:21 AM
Living With My Mother

What about a Marketplace IGA like the one on Burrard in downtown Vancouver?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:35 AM

IGA in Vancouver? I thought they were just in Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
IGA in Vancouver? I thought they were just in Quebec.
I had them in Toronto growing up.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
What about a Marketplace IGA like the one on Burrard in downtown Vancouver?
I guess IGA in BC is not part of the big chains. So moving to Ontario might be expansion.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
To me Farm Boy is more of a specialty/fruit and veggies grocery store. i can never do my full weekly groceries by only going to farm boy.

Also isnt Metro suppose to re-open at the other Claridge development on Rideau? if thats the case it seems they dont simply do business with Farm Boy/Sobeys. there's still hope it wont be another farm boy at Moon.
With Sobey's purchase of Farm Boy I think it is now their urban concept so the new ones should have more full service I would guess. The word supermarket will probably be a misnomer. Probably more of a Dep/Supermarket hybrid in terms of selection and price.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:08 PM
Closed account

I remember IGA's all over Ottawa in the 1990's. There was also a ton of Loeb's and a few A&P's.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:21 PM
Living With My Mother

From Wikipedia:

“In British Columbia, IGA stores (previously Marketplace IGA) are, for the most part, independently owned and are operated by Georgia Main Food Group.“

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:36 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCity613 View Post
I remember IGA's all over Ottawa in the 1990's. There was also a ton of Loeb's and a few A&P's.
IGA is prolific in Gatineau. They are everywhere.

All of the Ottawa Loeb locations turned into Metro a few years ago.. and all of the Loblaws in Quebec became Provigo.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

IGA is a kind of global "mercenary" grocery store banner.

The IGAs that were all over Ottawa 25-30 years ago were not the same brand or even ownership as the IGAs in Gatineau today.

The old IGAs were IIRC owned by the Loeb supermarket group, who at one point ditched the IGA name and rebranded the entire regional chain as Loeb.

Then they sold out to Metro I assume which is when they all changed to that name.

The new(ish) IGAs we see in Quebec are Sobeys' entry into the Quebec market though for some reason they chose not to use the Sobeys name. So I guess they bought a licence for the IGA name for Quebec from the international brand owner.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I’m surprised that Loblaws hasn’t developed a separate urban format brand apart from the upscaled inner city stores. They should go head-to-head with Farm Boy and have City Girl
Yo, they should call it Valley girl! I'd dig this place for sure!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:11 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
IGA is a kind of global "mercenary" grocery store banner.

The IGAs that were all over Ottawa 25-30 years ago were not the same brand or even ownership as the IGAs in Gatineau today.

The old IGAs were IIRC owned by the Loeb supermarket group, who at one point ditched the IGA name and rebranded the entire regional chain as Loeb.

Then they sold out to Metro I assume which is when they all changed to that name.

The new(ish) IGAs we see in Quebec are Sobeys' entry into the Quebec market though for some reason they chose not to use the Sobeys name. So I guess they bought a licence for the IGA name for Quebec from the international brand owner.
Yes, I recall there was the I.G.A. Joanisse at Donald and St. Laurent. They included Gold Bond food stamps with every purchase. It was sort of a precursor to Air Miles.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, I recall there was the I.G.A. Joanisse at Donald and St. Laurent. They included Gold Bond food stamps with every purchase. It was sort of a precursor to Air Miles.
At one point in my younger days there was one degree of separation (or even one half) between the owners of that IGA and me.

I won't go any further as I don't think I could pick up the trail at all anymore.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:50 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At one point in my younger days there was one degree of separation (or even one half) between the owners of that IGA and me.

I won't go any further as I don't think I could pick up the trail at all anymore.
She never forgot you either.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
She never forgot you either.
Haha No it wasn't that kind of thing at all.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:03 PM

How far off track can this thread get?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa