HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:38 AM

Unfortunately, the bigger idiots in office will listen to them.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:21 AM

"Another Empire State Buliding" sounds good to me and probably the majority of New Yorkers with sense

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:22 AM
DENNAB

uuuh... this again

Last edited by Zapatan; Oct 6, 2009 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
How much was spent on this bogus and poorly done ad? Funny how it says the tower will overwhelm the neighborhood, but on the aerial shot of Northern Midtown, all i see are tall buildings

Video Caption: "Proposed shadow over Central Park"....WTF???
It's just a rehash of the old video they had been using. They've got money, and time to waste. You would think they would be greatful for the 200 ft chop the CPC gave them. But noooooo.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Frenchy gonna kick some ass

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...ck-moma-tower#

Nouvel/Hines to Ask Council for Their 200 Feet Back on MoMA Tower
By Eliot Brown
October 6, 2009 | 9:19 a.m.

The Jean Nouvel-designed skyscraper planned to rise next to MoMA goes before the City Council today for a hearing, where, according to a person informed of the decision, developer Hines Interests plans to request that its original height be restored.

The request comes after City Planning Commission chairwoman Amanda Burden chopped 200 feet off the top of the tower, which was to rise to 1,250 feet, the height of the Empire State Building. And it’s a bit of a reverse of the usual scenario: Typically, when developers reach the Council—the last stage in the city’s land-use approval process—the Council members negotiate with them to make their project smaller, not bigger.

It's probably important to note that 1,250 hasn't always been its height. Back in 2008, when the project went through the Landmarks Preservation Commission, the developer put its planned height at 1,155 feet; so before it shrunk by 200 feet, it apparently grew by 95.

We’ll have more from the hearing later today.

ebrown@observer.com

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:05 PM

*crosses fingers*

The opposition group to MoMa is so ridiculous with their outlandish claims regarding the supposed shadow it will cast:

http://www.no2moma.com/Home.html

These commercials actually run on local NYC television channels?

LOL, I actually find it hilarious, and I wish I could e-mail them and let them know what idiots they are but the e-mail feature is disabled. That section of Midtown East is a business district not a residential neighborhood, so why live in Midtown if these tall buildings bothered them?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:18 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
so why live in Midtown if these tall buildings bothered them?
Because they're a few beers shy of a six pack..

Anyway, good luck Novel/Hines

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:46 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
LOL, I actually find it hilarious, and I wish I could e-mail them and let them know what idiots they are but the e-mail feature is disabled.
it works, here's the adress: no2moma@gmail.com
may the e-mail- terror begin!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
it works, here's the adress: no2moma@gmail.com
may the e-mail- terror begin!
Thanks!!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:58 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

This is simple: WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE LIVE IN THE BUSINESS DISTRICT OF A LARGE CITY AND HATE SKYSCRAPERS. NEW ONES ARE GOING TO GO UP ALL THE TIME ESPECIALLY IN NYC AND CHICAGO!!! Those NIMBYs and complainers should move out and go to a small town like Goodland, Kansas if they don't want to see them. There are rural areas everywhere, suburbs or exurbs. DON'T LIVE IN OR MOVE OUT OF THE CITY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE URBAN WAY OF LIFE WHICH INCLUDES SKYSCRAPER DEVELOPMENT!!! DAMN BASTARDS. I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THEM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 9:48 PM

I understand that this would ruin NYC's skyline, but what a true loss for the city.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 10:10 PM

This story is one long soap opera!...never know whats gonna happen next!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 11:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Na View Post
This story is one long soap opera!...never know whats gonna happen next!
We're looking at the series finale now, so it'll be a resolution one way or the other.

Quote:
Nouvel/Hines to Ask Council for Their 200 Feet Back on MoMA Tower
Why not? Especially considering a potentially taller tower could rist just a few blocks to the north.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/moma.sk...2.1231719.html

NYC Ready For Another Giant Skyscraper?
Despite Critical Praise For Design, Residents Upset Over Proposed Empire State Building-Sized Structure In Midtown

Lou Young NEW YORK (CBS) ―

Residents went to the City Council Planning Committee Tuesday to voice their opposition to a new skyscraper planned for Midtown.

The construction lot is between 53rd and 54th streets near the Museum of Modern Art. The building itself is planned to be as tall as the Empire State Building.

"This is the time to call a halt. This is the time to say 'Stop'," said resident Albert Butzel.

The proposed skyscraper would have 82 stories, but many are taller than average. It would be twice as tall as the landmark CBS Corporate Headquarters across the street and the neighbors said that's quite tall enough.

"They say they can get it to stand up but it's a postage stamp. It's an abomination," Justin Peyser said.

Opponents complained about the height and the shadow the building would cast, but the design received critical praise and the designer, architect Jean Nouvel, said that seen from the actual Empire State Building, his equally-tall structure will blend into the cityscape.

"When you are at the Empire State you see the building in front like this. So you cannot see the full of the fins," Nouvel said.

The developer, the Gerald Hines Organization, said to build the tower it will purchase air rights from the Museum, the nearby University Club, and St. Thomas Episcopal Church and stack them over the site. Leaving the hearing Tuesday, they didn't seem to want to talk about why. When asked if the structure would work at all if the developers scaled it down, the response? "We have no comment."

The Museum's management, however, is adamant. They want the money from those air rights.

"This is vital, because the Museum of Modern Art doesn't not receive direct support from either the City or the State, we depend entirely on our endowment, admissions, and fundraising," said Glenn Lowrey, Director of MOMA.

What's at stake are the financial interests of the Museum, two powerful non-profits, the developer and the real estate company versus the people who live on the block. It's a classic New York struggle over power and influence that'll go before the City Council in a matter of weeks.

If approved, the developers said it would take four years to build the tower.

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 1:22 AM
DENNAB

God those people are all such tools, just makes you wanna punch em in the face

oh well, i guess it's 50 50 now huh, i'm keeping my fingers crossed but bracing for the worst

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 1:40 AM

Guys, seriously, you should go to the City Council and show your support for the tower, I bet you can get at least 15 people to go.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:41 AM
DENNAB

If I were in New York anytime soon believe me I would...

Man this just makes me so mad and upset, shame on those worthless imbeciles,

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
*crosses fingers*

The opposition group to MoMa is so ridiculous with their outlandish claims regarding the supposed shadow it will cast:

http://www.no2moma.com/Home.html

These commercials actually run on local NYC television channels?

LOL, I actually find it hilarious, and I wish I could e-mail them and let them know what idiots they are but the e-mail feature is disabled. That section of Midtown East is a business district not a residential neighborhood, so why live in Midtown if these tall buildings bothered them?
AHAHAHAHAHA that website is pure comedy... almost as if it's a sarcastic joke.

some people have some ludicrously hysterical views.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
AHAHAHAHAHA that website is pure comedy... almost as if it's a sarcastic joke.
I love how they say "choose the plan that fits". And I agree, the 1,250 ft version fits the skyline perfectly.

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...is-chic-tower#

‘So Slim!’: Frenchman Begs Council for Reprieve on His Chic Tower

By Eliot Brown
October 7, 2009

Jean Nouvel wants his 200 feet back. Mr. Nouvel, the bald Frenchman who won architecture’s esteemed Pritzker Prize in 2008, engaged in a last-ditch effort on Tuesday, Oct. 6, to save the 1,250-foot height of the tower he’s planned to have rise next to the Museum of Modern Art.

Four weeks after City Planning Commission chairwoman Amanda Burden put her own giant stamp on the project, chopping the allowed height to 1,050 feet, Mr. Nouvel went before a City Council subcommittee and pleaded to raise the tower’s height back up.

“You have to keep the city alive,” he said, speaking with a heavy French accent. “I try to respect the neighborhood. The building is so slim.” He was joined in his appeal by the project’s developer, the Texas-based Hines Interest, which claimed that a suddenly smaller building—brought down from the level of the Empire State Building to that of the Chrysler Building height—would threaten the economics of the situation.

But still, it wasn’t an all-out threat to scrap the tower.

The project manager for Hines, David Penick, was asked by Councilman Dan Garodnick flatly: “Can this building not be built at 1,050?”

His response? Six seconds of silence, followed by: “It’s—it’s very hard to say.”

Much will depend on the market, Mr. Penick added, in an almost refreshing bit of candor compared with the typical developer who comes before the Council and disingenuously pronounces that even the slightest change to his planned building would have an apocalyptic effect on his project.

After the hearing, Mr. Nouvel was kept muzzled by Hines, as Mr. Penick said to him on the way out, “Now, I don’t want you talking to reporters.”

He didn’t.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegr...to_shrink.html

MoMA Monster Refuses to Shrink: NY City Council Committee Hearing

Lee Rosenbaum's cultural commentary

I've got to bring you the news from the hearing I attended today on the MoMA/Hines tower. As your may remember, Jean Nouvel's skyscraper had grown, in stages, to 1,250 feet (the height of the Empire State Building, without its antenna). The City Planning Commission cried out, "Too tall!" and lopped off 200 feet.

But look out, earthlings...

...it's BA-A-A-A-CK!

MoMA's four heavy hitters (architect Jean Nouvel, Museum of Modern Art director Glenn Lowry, and the project's lawyer and its developer) were at City Hall today, trying to revive their 85-story giant. This would require convincing the NY City Council to overturn the City Planning Commission's mandate.

At today's hearing held by the Zoning and Franchises Subcommittee of the Council's Land Use Committee, David Penick, managing partner for developer Hines on this project, argued that the undertaking might not be financially viable at the reduced height, which would also undermine its "architectural integrity."

Near the beginning of his testimony, Penick said that the shrinkage would force the tower to lose its 150 luxury condominiums, which were planned for the top floors. Later, he said it would keep the condos but lose the 120 hotel units. The Council's Land Use Committee chair, Melinda Katz caught that self-contradiction, whereupon Penick stated that the hotel units would probably be eliminated, not the potentially more lucrative condos.

During a break in the action, I caught up with Penick and Nouvel outside the meeting room. Penick told me that lopping off 200 feet of height (a loss of 100,000 square feet from the building's proposed 658,000 square feet) would mean a loss of 16 of the planned 85 stories. He conceded that the project, even if it got government approval, would not start any time soon; it would await improved economic conditions.

Nouvel told me he was uncertain whether he would continue with the project if the tower was shortened to 1,050 feet (which would make it the height of another skyline icon, the Chrysler Building). At the hearing, Nouvel unveiled "a new proposal for the top," including reflective "fins" that would be be seen from certain vantage points around the tower, but not others. "There would be strong differences of experiences of the top as you moved around the building....It is a very elegant building."

In addition to affecting the architecture, a smaller project would mean less of a windfall for the nonprofits (St. Thomas Church, the University Club, the American Folk Art Museum) that have agreed to sell air rights for the project, because less space would be needed. MoMA may also sell air rights for the project, which it had previously acquired from the University Club.

No vote was taken by the subcommittee today. Whatever happens, MoMA already has in hand the $125 million that Hines paid for the land adjacent to the museum---the site of the proposed tower. The new building would include on its lower floors space for MoMA's next expansion. Considering what's happened to the real estate market since that land sale, it now looks like a great financial deal for MoMA, not so great for the developer.

In his testimony, Lowry explained his previously unsupported claim that the new expansion would not cause a significant attendance jump (which would further rile the neighbors): He argued there was a limited audience for modern art and that he believed MoMA, at about 2.5 million annual visitors, is now "very close to the maximum size of our audience."

Councilman Daniel Garodnick, whose constituents include neighborhood opponents to the project, declared that proponents' claims that the tower would have minimal impact on the surrounding area were "hard to follow and hard to swallow."

I'll have more on this project in subsequent posts. But for now, here's Garodnick peering out from behind the MoMA Monster Model:

And here's a closer look at the model. The tall transparent piece in the center, representing the tower, is removable. That may be a practical accommodation to future modification:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive