HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:12 PM

^ I met who I presume was the owner of that building regarding the purchase of another property a few years ago. I got the impression that he is a smallish businessman who, like with so many downtown properties, bought in when prices were super low over the decade from about 1995-2005. But he doesn't have a particular need for it (the jewelery shop could easily occupy a small unit at Cityplace) and he doesn't have the means to redo it. So it just kind of sits there waiting for some deep pocketed buyer to snap it up for some huge redevelopment project.

I don't think that building has had a non-small businessman owner for a good 30+ years or so since National Trust decamped from it. It is basically a banking hall so it would strike me as a decent building for a CU that wanted to establish a prominent downtown presence without having to pay top dollar for it. It's still a beauty of a building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:18 PM

^Agreed, would be a good place for ACU if they wanted to be closer to the big banks (and weren't moving the branch into TNS).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah for a while it was for Sale or Lease, I think even as far back as when the jewellery store was fully operational.

The current owner has really let the exterior go, almost all the granite on the Garry side is gone, what's left is destroyed and loose. The interior looks like it hasn't seen upgrades in 20+ years. Wouldn't be surprised if the amount of work this building needs is what's keeping it from being sold. The fact that the second floor is small and most of the space is just an open area means there isn't a ton of leasable space in its current form either.
It can also take an addition of a few floors, it the cost was warranted.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:28 PM

It'll be interesting to see if it gets picked up once the reno's at Richardson, 200, and 201 Portage are done. It should help bring a bit more attention to that stretch of Portage. Dreman Building is almost fully leased now too which helps – hopefully the two new restaurants that just opened can survive COVID.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:58 AM

The Hilton at the airport has been rented by the Government of Nunavut for self-quarantining travelers to the territory:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...y-27-1.5664230

The story mentions a second hotel is now involved. Anyone know which one? I note the Delta is sold out for the next two weeks, although for it to be it they must be reducing room capacity.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:27 PM

I was told by someone close to the situation that 6 hotels bid for the CFL bubble, and 4 backed out within a few days when there was some negative feedback and then the cases spiked a bit here and to the west. That was last Wednesday, not sure the situation now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:39 PM

It would be very tough, the rosters for football teams are large and there are a lot of support staff required. I would think you would need all of those 6 hotels to accommodate all that staff. You're probably looking at 70-80 people per team * 9 teams not to mention league staff. 750 people each sharing a room would require 375 rooms at minimum.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:56 PM

You'd think it would be pretty appealing for the hotels... they could basically operate at 100% occupancy for the couple of months that the CFL runs. For some of the hotels on the south side of town that probably aren't all that busy right now, it could be a real boon... I'm thinking the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, the Four Points, the Hilton Garden Inn, the CanadInns Fort Garry. Those four alone could probably accommodate the league. What about the Hyatt House or whatever it is going up near Cabela's, is that one open yet?

Also, once you factor in the full roster including practice rosters, various coaches, trainers, equipment people, administrative staff, PR and social media people and such you'd probably be looking at pretty close to 100 per team. And would they all be sharing rooms? It's hard to imagine Buck Pierce and Richie Hall arguing over who gets the bed by the window

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:26 PM

They were likely looking for a steep discount based on the volume of room-nights needed (and the lack of serious financial backing of the CFL) so it's possible for some of these hotels it might not have been worth it based on current government supports. That's just me speculating though.

I don't think that CanadInns would be up to snuff. The CFL obviously doesn't need Fairmonts, but CanadInns is a glorified motel, small, and poor food option.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
They were likely looking for a steep discount based on the volume of room-nights needed (and the lack of serious financial backing of the CFL) so it's possible for some of these hotels it might not have been worth it based on current government supports. That's just me speculating though.

I don't think that CanadInns would be up to snuff. The CFL obviously doesn't need Fairmonts, but CanadInns is a glorified motel, small, and poor food option.
Aalto's is no one's idea of gourmet dining but they can feed large numbers in there and I'm sure they can ramp up the quality to meet the requirements of pro athletes. I've stayed at other CanadInns before and they aren't fancy, but they are clean and comfortable. They aren't dingy dives or anything like that.

I guess part of the issue with IG Field is that it is in a bit of a dead zone with regard to hotels... there aren't that many to choose from around there. So I would think CanadInns would at least have to be considered. I'm sure the league would not be thrilled about housing the players downtown where it would probably be harder to keep them 'in the bubble'.

Also, I can't imagine the league would let this arrangement fall apart over hotel rates of all things. If the hotels aren't biting I'd expect the CFL to jack up its offer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

These pro athletes can survive just fine staying at any hotel. Why do they need 5 star gourmet? Seriously though. This is the CFL. Except for the top stars of the league, they make a normal persons wage. The top earners make max 500k per year. Which is large, but not that crazy. Even still, what's the harm in staying at a holiday in for a couple months?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
These pro athletes can survive just fine staying at any hotel. Why do they need 5 star gourmet? Seriously though. This is the CFL. Except for the top stars of the league, they make a normal persons wage. The top earners make max 500k per year. Which is large, but not that crazy. Even still, what's the harm in staying at a holiday in for a couple months?
That's why I kind of chortled when Winnipeg was rejected as a NHL hub on the apparent basis of inadequate hotel rooms... as if the Royal York and JW Marriott were such sumptuous luxury that no local hotel could come close to. C'mon man. I've stayed at the Royal York many times and it's nice but there is no magic to their standard hotel rooms. I haven't stayed at the JW Marriott before but honestly, what is so spectacular about this?

Not exactly Dubai or Vegas-tier opulence.

Most of these guys came up through the CHL and NCAA where student dorms and roadside Travelodges were the rule. Pretty sure they could handle a month at the Delta. Same with CFL players and CanadInns or the Holiday Inn.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You'd think it would be pretty appealing for the hotels... they could basically operate at 100% occupancy for the couple of months that the CFL runs. For some of the hotels on the south side of town that probably aren't all that busy right now, it could be a real boon... I'm thinking the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, the Four Points, the Hilton Garden Inn, the CanadInns Fort Garry. Those four alone could probably accommodate the league. What about the Hyatt House or whatever it is going up near Cabela's, is that one open yet?

Also, once you factor in the full roster including practice rosters, various coaches, trainers, equipment people, administrative staff, PR and social media people and such you'd probably be looking at pretty close to 100 per team. And would they all be sharing rooms? It's hard to imagine Buck Pierce and Richie Hall arguing over who gets the bed by the window
Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry – 106 Rooms
Four Points Winnipeg South - 76 Rooms
Hilton Garden Inn Winnipeg South – 126 Rooms
Holiday Inn Winnipeg South – 170 Rooms
Hyatt House Winnipeg South/Outlet Collection - 135 Rooms (Yes, it is open)

613 total rooms from those five named

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Aalto's is no one's idea of gourmet dining but they can feed large numbers in there and I'm sure they can ramp up the quality to meet the requirements of pro athletes. I've stayed at other CanadInns before and they aren't fancy, but they are clean and comfortable. They aren't dingy dives or anything like that.

I guess part of the issue with IG Field is that it is in a bit of a dead zone with regard to hotels... there aren't that many to choose from around there. So I would think CanadInns would at least have to be considered. I'm sure the league would not be thrilled about housing the players downtown where it would probably be harder to keep them 'in the bubble'.

Also, I can't imagine the league would let this arrangement fall apart over hotel rates of all things. If the hotels aren't biting I'd expect the CFL to jack up its offer.

Wonder if the U of M would come into play for the CFL. Can't imagine there will be many students living in residence in the fall.

In terms of the NHL it sounds like they have brought in catering companies on top of the hotel kitchens to provide specialized food service around the clock.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:22 AM

Winnipeg was rejected by the NHL mostly because there’s no other NHL-caliber arenas even remotely close to the arena. Only other quality ice would be IcePlex or U of M. Edmonton’s arena has more rinks in the same building and Toronto has the Coliseum just down the road.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg was rejected by the NHL mostly because there’s no other NHL-caliber arenas even remotely close to the arena. Only other quality ice would be IcePlex or U of M. Edmonton’s arena has more rinks in the same building and Toronto has the Coliseum just down the road.
Based on what they are doing in Toronto and Edmonton, Winnipeg would have had to be willing to close down Winnipeg Square and probably a few streets to accommodate the bubble and allow players access to and from their hotel to the building without public interaction.

Even with some economic benefit I doubt that would have been a realistic option for a couple months.

And we for sure do not have practice ice for that many NHL teams. U of M wouldn't be up to snuff.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Based on what they are doing in Toronto and Edmonton, Winnipeg would have had to be willing to close down Winnipeg Square and probably a few streets to accommodate the bubble and allow players access to and from their hotel to the building without public interaction.

Even with some economic benefit I doubt that would have been a realistic option for a couple months.

And we for sure do not have practice ice for that many NHL teams. U of M wouldn't be up to snuff.
If you talking about the players making their way to BellMTS Center the NHL could have put them into a few chartered buses from Beaver/ Fehrway or one of the other bus companies that had their charter tour divisions mothball the units due to lack of customers.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If you talking about the players making their way to BellMTS Center the NHL could have put them into a few chartered buses from Beaver/ Fehrway or one of the other bus companies that had their charter tour divisions mothball the units due to lack of customers.
Yeah they could have but what the NHL wanted was a campus that allowed for their players to get outdoors as well without public interaction.

They are busing players to practice rinks.

There are some good videos around of what they've done for a "bubble" and in seeing that I can see why Winnipeg isn't really a legitimate option for what they were looking for.

If they tried the same thing here I bet they'd locate some teams outside of Winnipeg to take advantage of junior rinks and ability to use more space.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
That's why I kind of chortled when Winnipeg was rejected as a NHL hub on the apparent basis of inadequate hotel rooms... as if the Royal York and JW Marriott were such sumptuous luxury that no local hotel could come close to. C'mon man. I've stayed at the Royal York many times and it's nice but there is no magic to their standard hotel rooms. I haven't stayed at the JW Marriott before but honestly, what is so spectacular about this?

Not exactly Dubai or Vegas-tier opulence.

Most of these guys came up through the CHL and NCAA where student dorms and roadside Travelodges were the rule. Pretty sure they could handle a month at the Delta. Same with CFL players and CanadInns or the Holiday Inn.

aw because its winnipeg and they will always look for ways to not do it hear because no one wants to come here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:27 PM

From what I heard, Winnipeg wasn't rejected, Winnipeg didn't want to be a hub and made no pitch right off the bat. Whether or not we could have been a viable option is a different discussion. Not sure the why the need to make it sound like we tried and were told to go away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan