HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:17 PM

Big transformation in downtown Edmonton. Will cars be permanently removed from the downtown streets the Valley Line route uses? As far as I can tell, the remaining space on the streets will be give to cyclists and pedestrians based on construction photos and renderings.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

Cross-section for Downtown:

Ped-LRT-LRT-Oneway Automobile-Bike-Bike-Ped

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Those of us that know history know that Bloor and Yonge both had streetcar lines that once they opened up the subway, they ripped up the tracks. While Eglinton, Finch and other LRT are a good idea, I wonder how long till they get to be too crowded and the city sees it's error. Or, maybe they decide that a route could have a subway and LRT/Streetcar line.
Thinking that today's LRTs have a lot in common with streetcars from almost a century ago....

Thinking that the planners didn't look at existing traffic levels, TOD plans, projected growth for decades......

Not realizing that cities around the world use LRT on similar corridors with much higher traffic levels.....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 6:41 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I hate surface running LRT through downtown.
Edmonton had it right putting the first line underground but are now messing it up.
It appears to be in a tunnel when it crosses the river - just continue the tunnel through downtown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:04 PM

It's a low-floor tram. It'll be a lot nicer than the freight trains you're used to.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:52 PM
Community Guy

^bingo.

I love the low-floor/tram model for Downtown. While it comes at a cost, I am of the belief that it is a net positive for a safe, modern, effective transportation option.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Thinking that today's LRTs have a lot in common with streetcars from almost a century ago....

Thinking that the planners didn't look at existing traffic levels, TOD plans, projected growth for decades......

Not realizing that cities around the world use LRT on similar corridors with much higher traffic levels.....
If that is the case, why the need for a DRL? There are several streetcars that serve the 2 lines.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^bingo.

I love the low-floor/tram model for Downtown. While it comes at a cost, I am of the belief that it is a net positive for a safe, modern, effective transportation option.
It's weird that Calgary does it backwards, putting the low floor underground while running a high floor at grade. It would be incredibly disruptive, but did anyone there ever think of doing a cut and cover tunnel for their existing line and just running the green line at grade?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, why the need for a DRL?
Because Toronto's population is up several million since the original loop was built through the downtown core.

Quote:
There are several streetcars that serve the 2 lines.
You really don't know much about Toronto. These LRT lines are very much about cross-Toronto travel. But necessarily about connecting to the core. You should look up ridership on the Finch and Eglinton bus routes. The entire Transit City plan was based on replacing the highest volume bus routes with LRT.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
It's weird that Calgary does it backwards, putting the low floor underground while running a high floor at grade. It would be incredibly disruptive, but did anyone there ever think of doing a cut and cover tunnel for their existing line and just running the green line at grade?
It physical space more than anything. A viable surface route (long block length, few major barriers) for the existing lines existed, while one for the Green Line does not (CP line and LRT line in the way, short block lengths). So now we will get a godawful kludge of a line, where the downtown and SE section are almost subway quality, while the north section of the line, if it ever happens, will be almost streetcar.

There is a "plan" to tunnel the existing Red line, but not the Blue, but it's not even on the backburner and will require at least a 33% increase in the peak ridership we saw on that line before the permanent recession hit our city.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Outside of a few blocks downtown the Green Line will (unfortunately) be at grade most of its alignment. Is the comment about Calgary (and Edmonton) doing it backward really valid? When the initial lines were constructed in the 80's were there actually viable low floor alternatives for LRT? Honest question - I don't know.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:48 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I hate surface running LRT through downtown.
Edmonton had it right putting the first line underground but are now messing it up.
It appears to be in a tunnel when it crosses the river - just continue the tunnel through downtown.
What bothers you so much about surface LRT downtown?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:58 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Outside of a few blocks downtown the Green Line will (unfortunately) be at grade most of its alignment. Is the comment about Calgary (and Edmonton) doing it backward really valid? When the initial lines were constructed in the 80's were there actually viable low floor alternatives for LRT? Honest question - I don't know.
I don't recall either. Does it matter? Many pre-existing tram system have been adapted to low floor technology. Of course, Calgary has a hybrid metro system which would be much more costly and remains successful at bringing commuters downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Because we have it in Calgary and have first hand experience of how crap it is, rather than theoretical thoughts from those who don't. Perhaps ours is a particularly awful implementation, but it is painfully slow, frequently crashes wiping out the system, provides an ugly streetscape and inhibits traffic.

Edmonton's might be a little better, hopefully they give more priority to transit, I would imagine the frequency will be low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's also marketed incorrectly as a rapid transit solution for a lot of cities when most of the time, its design is anything but a true rapid transit system. In order for a rapid transit piece of infrastructure to be considered rapid, it needs to be completely grade separated and uninterrupted by vehicular traffic. Therefore the mismatch on how the infrastructure is presented to the public (in comparison to how it actually functions) leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. People think that they are getting a cheap subway system when in actuality they are getting a streetcar system with fancy new vehicles. Again there is nothing rapid about surface LRT downtown (or anywhere) that has to contend with regular vehicle traffic.

IMO the only city that does surface LRT correctly in its downtown core is Toronto. And any Torontonian will tell you that it isn't a fast system, rather it addresses capacity demands on routes that buses wouldn't be able to handle (and arguably routes that would never see true rapid transit). It also helps that the streetcar system they had was never removed and Toronto has continued to expand the streetcar system to somewhat keep up with the city making it a less expensive endeavor.

My opinion is that any LRT system that is integrated with street traffic can only ever serve as a glorified streetcar system - and rather this kind of system should be viewed as an auxiliary tiered feeding system that should be feeding riders into the true rapid transit spine network. The problem (again, IMO) is that cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, and Waterloo-Kitchener have these street-integrated LRT systems (constructed or proposed) that performs as the core spinal network instead of performing like the auxiliary feeding system that its design is capable of performing as. It also doesn't help when you have a combination of LRT companies purposely marketing their products incorrectly as a rapid transit solution and cities willing to cheap out without looking 15-30 years in the future. Unfortunately now that a lot of these cities have accepted at-grade LRT as their core spinal network, they will have to either change the entire system (which is right for the future but fucking expensive) or continue to extend their system (which is what we are seeing now).

Automated Light Rail Metros, like Vancouver's Skytrain, Toronto's future Ontario Line, and Montreal's REM; are the way to go.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Aug 12, 2020 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:15 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Because we have it in Calgary and have first hand experience of how crap it is, rather than theoretical thoughts from those who don't. Perhaps ours is a particularly awful implementation, but it is painfully slow, frequently crashes wiping out the system, provides an ugly streetscape and inhibits traffic.

Edmonton's might be a little better, hopefully they give more priority to transit, I would imagine the frequency will be low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It's also marketed incorrectly as a rapid transit solution for a lot of cities when most of the time, its design is anything but a rapid transit system. In order for a rapid transit piece of infrastructure to be considered rapid, it needs to be completely grade separated and uninterrupted by vehicular traffic. Therefore the mismatch on how the infrastructure is presented to the public (in comparison to how it actually functions) leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. People think that they are getting a cheap subway system when in actuality they are getting a streetcar system with fancy new vehicles. Again there is nothing rapid about surface LRT downtown (or anywhere) that has to contend with regular vehicle traffic.

IMO the only city that does surface LRT correctly in its downtown core is Toronto. And any Torontonian will tell you that it isn't a fast system, rather it addresses capacity demands on routes that buses wouldn't be able to handle (and arguably routes that would never see true rapid transit). It also helps that the streetcar system they had was never removed and Toronto has continued to expand the streetcar system to somewhat keep up with the city making it a less expensive endeavor.
Milomilo & scryer have basically summed-up the reasons for my distain of surface LRT downtown. It makes for a really slow & inefficient system. Maybe those issues are not a high priority in Edmonton, I don’t know.

I hope we can eventually get the tracks on the surface of 7th Ave. relocated into the long promised “8th Ave. Subway”. It would be nice to address the line currently running up 36 St. NE too. And for the love of God I pray the City doesn’t proceed with surface on Center St. for the new Green Line - at least until north of McKnight.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Because Toronto's population is up several million since the original loop was built through the downtown core.

You really don't know much about Toronto. These LRT lines are very much about cross-Toronto travel. But necessarily about connecting to the core. You should look up ridership on the Finch and Eglinton bus routes. The entire Transit City plan was based on replacing the highest volume bus routes with LRT.
I do know a lot about it, but I like to catch those who like to contradict what they already said.

You have been caught.

Those lines going to the Bloor line, do intercept with Yonge-University. That is essentially the DRL in a nutshell.

Now, you also said that cities around the world use LRT at much higher levels. This means that the DRL should be pointless to build.

I know it is needed, and badly. You know it is needed badly. Why contradict yourself?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:

I do know a lot about it, but I like to catch those who like to contradict what they already said.

You have been caught.

Those lines going to the Bloor line, do intercept with Yonge-University. That is essentially the DRL in a nutshell.

Now, you also said that cities around the world use LRT at much higher levels. This means that the DRL should be pointless to build.

I know it is needed, and badly. You know it is needed badly. Why contradict yourself?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:

You have been caught.

Apparently you think looking at lines on a map mean "you've been caught".

Since you've never really lived in Toronto and are ignorant of actual travel patterns, you wouldn't know all this. Lines on a map don't tell you how people connect and/or where they are traveling to. Hint: Not everyone connecting from a bus at a station is actually taking the subway downtown. Second hint: there's a reason the Eglinton LRT is called the "Crosstown".

The largest transit gap Toronto has always had was crosstown travel outside the core. You either take two buses for at least 1.5 hrs across (transfer at corresponding station on the Yonge line) or you go down to the Bloor-Danforth and take that across. I remember taking 2 hrs to get across by buses on Sheppard on a snow day that the SRT was down.

The original intention of the Sheppard subway when first conceived was to provide a northern Crosstown that was north of the 401. Eglinton will provide that same functionality through midtown. And Finch West replaces a very busy bus corridor. Which was also the intention of the Jane LRT.

All of these have absolutely nothing to do with the DRL which serves the downtown core. It's literally in the name: "Downtown Relief Line". Which of those LRTs are downtown? The DRL is meant to relieve the overcrowding first and foremost at Yonge-Bloor, but more broadly the YUS loop south of Bloor-Danforth. I don't know what possible logic leads you to believe the DRL in the core and the LRTs in the inner suburbs are related. I'm genuinely interested to hear how an LRT on Finch 15 km from the core and on Eglinton 5km from the core provide relief to the YUS loop in the downtown core. Enlighten us.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Aug 13, 2020 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
No, that's fair. The first completely low-floor tram was introduced in the '90s.

This guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADtranz_low_floor_tram

That said, there were always partially low-floor or high-floor-with-steps trams. I kind of like San Francisco's Muni high-floor trams, which above ground feature a small, ramped platform for wheelchair accessibility, and stairs that raise themselves when the trams go into the downtown subway, for the sake of level boarding at platforms.

In the scheme of things, both Alberta LRT systems are really unconventional. Things like high platforms on a street, crossing arms on a tramline, and light-metro trains rolling down streets are really odd. Hence my reference to them as freight trains before.

Anyway, a lot of you are really wringing your hands about tramways, and it shows you don't have a lot of good experiences with them. I'm willing to bet that most of you have a bad taste in your mouth from the TTC's offering, or some of the borderline white elephants in American cities. I always thought Minneapolis's was kind of bad, even though it shares more in common with the C-train than a tramway.

But a well designed tramline is pretty quick.

A few keys to a good tram line:
1. Long blocks. milomilo mentioned this with respect to the C-Train. It's an intuitive point, but worth illustrating in contrast to what happens with TTC streetcars. They mostly run east-west, across the grain of the city's blocks. This increases potential points of conflict.

2. Keep stops at least 500m apart. There aren't many good excuses for spacing transit stops closer than this. Toronto's Spadina line is frustrating because its stops are 200m apart. The Minneapolis tram leaving mall of America manages to trundle around for almost a kilometer to end up at its first stop, 400m from where it started, then piles up three more stops over the next 900m. What the hell? Obviously that's going to be slow. A grade-separated system that stopped this frequently would also be slow.

3. Get the signals right. The last time I was in Toronto I watched a St. Claire tram pointlessly wait for a left-turn signal. One car went through. Spock always did say, the needs of the many outweigh the needs, or wants, of the few. A tram carrying dozens of people should obviously have priority over cars that obviously aren't carrying dozens of people. And putting stops before lights allows cross traffic to move while the tram is stopped anyway. Good signals can make up a lot of the advantage of grade-separation. In the end, the point is to...

4. Keep cars away. A tram in its own ROW is best. A good ROW can be grade-separated, sure, but it doesn't have to be. It can run down a median, but it doesn't need to be down a median. It can run down one side of the street, or cut through parks, plazas, buildings. And a good tram line doesn't need an exclusive right of way, exclusively. Trams can run in mixed traffic without delays as long as they're given an out from mixed traffic before it can slow them down.

Here's an example from an outer district in Berlin:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5503...8i6656!5m1!1e2

This tram mostly runs in a median ROW. But for about 200m the street is too narrow to afford both directions an ROW. In this case, inbound trams get the ROW while outbound trams get mixed traffic. Why? Because the outbound trams are leaving a stop, at a traffic light. It's incredibly unlikely that traffic could hold them up; they're all moving at the same time and speed, and by the time traffic has to stop again, the tram is into its own ROW. The inbound tram, however, could get help up by traffic at the light, thus preventing it from getting to the station and the safety of its ROW. So it gets a single-lane ROW, allowing it to queue jump.

Here's another example from a more central part of Berlin:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5394...8i6656!5m1!1e2

Here, the tram runs in mixed traffic down a popular commercial high street. What you can't tell from this streetview, is that the end of this block, where you'll find the tram stop, is closed to cars. This prevents the street from becoming a thoroughfare, and keeps traffic light. Trams don't run at great speed down this stretch, but they run at a regular speed, and that keeps the system predictable and reliable.

If I had my druthers, the R in RT would always prioritize reliability over rapidity, and thereby actually realize rapidity. Poorly designed streetcar or bus systems aren't reliable, and end up bogged down in traffic--much like traffic itself. You'll find with at-grade tram systems that if traffic is light, they're slower than cars. And why wouldn't they be? They have to make stops that cars don't. But when traffic picks up, it slows down. That's when at-grade systems shine, because they runs at the same speed no matter what.

Another virtue of at-grade systems that people miss when they get worked up about point-to-point speed, is the speed of using the system. An at-grade tram is very accessible. Compared to grade-separated systems, it's much faster to get to the transit. The difference in Berlin, where the subways run just under the roads and don't have fare gates, isn't that pronounced. But somewhere like Kiev, where getting to the subway is a commute unto itself, you're often better off taking trams than joining the miners going to the subway.

Sprinting across town on a fast train is a lot less impressive when you tack on five minutes of escalator rides and waiting for people fumbling with their metro card at the ends.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada