HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 2:32 PM
Closed account

At fist I thought you were quitting the city........

Anyway I'm looking foreword to the new improved pierpoint city!Can't wait
!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 5:23 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
At fist I thought you were quitting the city........

Anyway I'm looking foreword to the new improved pierpoint city!Can't wait
!
haha, not in a million years.

I have a feeling Pierpont will be sort of like Staunton as far as being constantly updated...reason being that my source of inspiration almost always comes from actually being in the location where I was first inspired to do the city. If you look at my old sketchup cities I posted here, most of them didn't last for very long. And here's the reason...

San Patria was inspired after I took a trip to Chicago, and I wanted to emulate a city of skyscrapers and canals, but on the California coastline. The inspiration wore off because I didn't visit Chicago to revive my inspiration.

Keystone was inspired by my many trips to Washington, D.C. and New York that I had been taking, but after I realized that I was stealing textures, I simply decided to halt production.

Port L'Allegro was inspired after walking through Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, which again, I couldn't revive the inspiration because I haven't made it back there.

Pierpont is different, because it's based off of Boise, and I constantly get the inspiration everyday to work when I run around downtown, since I live so close. And I think if the will to keep working on it hasn't worn off by now, it stands a good chance at not wearing off at all.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:23 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Haha, I think maybe that's why I get tired of cities too. I was thinking about starting a smaller, more detailed city too.

Can hardly wait to see the new improved version.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 4:55 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up on all the projects under construction, estimated time of completion, and projects next in line.

Under construction:

-Pierpont International Airport (3 weeks)
-Art Deco Tower (1 week)
-Capitol Building (3 weeks)
-Office Tower (3 weeks)
-Residential tower (4 weeks)
-Convention Center (3 weeks)
-Road Layout (5 weeks+)
-Plazas and pedestrian cores (4 weeks)

Projects after above are completed...

-Redoing textures on all current buildings
-Downtown Riverwalk
-Low and Mid-rise blocks
-Generic buildings
-University of Pierpont
-Landmarks (undecided)

Here is the art-deco tower that I showed a page or two back, and what I've completed since then. I'll hopefully finish it by the end of the week. The reason the completion times are so long is because I'm currently working on everything a little bit at a time, instead of seperately and all at once. Not sure if that's the most efficient method of working, but it's what my inspiration dictates.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 5:08 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Here's the same picture, but with a proposed Pierpont sign (since I'm thinking about making it into a boutique hotel called something like 'The Pierpont Hotel')...for kicks what do you think of the sign? Different font? Different word? No sign at all? Bueller? Bueller?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 8:16 AM

I missed this thread and i have to say i'm really impressed. You're obviously putting a lot of thought into the layout and style of the buildings whatever way you go about developing them. The Capitol building looks great and the airport renderings are very realistic.

the artdeco tower looks good too, i've never really been a fan of those huge signs but i guess they are quite ubiquitous. Not sure about the font, perhaps something with a bit less filigree.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 12:21 PM
Closed account

I like the sin on the art deco building!It looks kinda art decoee.

Nice work!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 5:19 AM
Dare Mighty Things

haha, just dorking around on photoshop...implanting buildings into the current Boise skyline:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 6:24 AM

Shell Building, San Francisco? Looks alot better than my rendition of it. But I want to see some awesome new pictures, like the stuff you posted on page 2.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 7:50 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Shell Building, San Francisco? Looks alot better than my rendition of it. But I want to see some awesome new pictures, like the stuff you posted on page 2.

Holy cow!! I just google searched Shell Building and your right, they look completely identical!! I wasn't even looking at anything when I was building that model, just thinking to myself and trying to build an image in my head of what I thought of when I thought art deco. Wow, maybe I'll change some of the textures to make it look more original, but I'm stunned at how similar they are. Maybe I saw it when I went to San Fran and made a mental note of it or something, jeez.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 3:07 PM

Quote:
I've just been timewarped into 1999. This scene looks like it could be outta of a Half-Life rendering.

Overall, a great project. I feel for you about Boise City's missed opportunities. Fayetteville, AR missed out on the economic boom because of a clusterf... a cluster of height ordinance issues and zoning laws.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Hey all,

Just wanted to apologize for the lack of updates, it's not that I haven't been inspired to work on Pierpont, it's just that a couple of things have taken over in priority for the temporary time being. I do not intend on quitting Pierpont. And while this is a very typical 'last' message to be posted by a SU city creator which effectively kills the thread, believe me when I say that this is not the end of Pierpont. I've invested too much time, work and soul that I'm in love with the character of the city, and I can't turn back, haha. I do find myself working occasionally on buildings, but at the moment I simply don't have it in me between SU airplanes (which take priority over the moment since in that case I'm not modeling for the sake of modeling), and this other non-SU major project I'm working on.

Another reason is because I've gotten lazy and stopped going on my morning run everyday, which really inspired me since I was in downtown absorbing the character of Boise, the city I emulate. But that'll be a factor that changes once College starts again, since then I'll be going downtown on a daily basis again.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a heads up, I don't want it to seem like I'm abandoning this city, which there's plenty of reason why one might think that.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:28 PM

The Pierpont Hotel would be just perfect if the edges at the top fitted.
he, I stood 15 minutes until I reallized you had actually shopped that Boise skyline. Too much sunlight on the conformist tower finally gave it away.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 2:04 PM
Closed account

Thats good boise.It's nice to do something different then just one project at a time.....

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 9:24 PM
Keep It Weird

After take a stroll through SSP mountain west section what a gem I find here in the Boise thread. I spent the better part of 2 hours reading this thread and it was well worth the time. Pierpont Tower brought to mind the Jackson in St Paul, but upon taking another look it was only slightly similar. Hopefully you'll find more time and keep this thread alive.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:26 PM
Closed account

So just RIGHT NOW how many people are in the city?Also since you compiled them altogether may yuo post a overhead of the city?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:27 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
So just RIGHT NOW how many people are in the city?Also since you compiled them altogether may yuo post a overhead of the city?
Oh, we'll say that the 2009 local estimates peg the metro population at 844,239 (City population is 383,599).

I'm keeping my word, I haven't given up on ya yet Pierpont! I've been silently working on the city just a tad. I've redesigned the airport...yet again...because if you really knew me, you'd know that I can never be happy leaving things as they are.

Welcome to Greater Pierpont Intl. Airport! Jetways will be installed soonly and then I'll put some airplanes in and then we'll see some Kerkythea action, baby! Currently working on main terminal and parking garages as well...the concourse you see here is connected to the terminal via underground tunnel (I'll post maps and background info soonly as well).

I've gotten back in the swing of 3D modeling.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 9:12 AM

How come i missed this whole thread brilliant stuff! The airport redesign looks better (although I'm concerned about some of the roof trusses that appear to be held up by the glass (sorry my structural engineer speaking)). I'd like to see the maps and overview of what you've completed so far.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:18 PM
Closed account

Thats a awsome airport. Keep it coming!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:45 AM

Nice design and detail on the airport! Like Pingyao said, only thing is the roof trusses. They need more support than just the window frames.

Are you planning to use ground textures like that for the rest of the city?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup