HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:46 AM

A Garden City Starbucks would be nice. The Save-On-Food location and the one on Main can get pretty busy. Sometimes its worth the drive to go to the Henderson locations

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 1:18 PM

Dominos Pizza is Coming To Linden Woods

Last edited by horrorbro123; Mar 10, 2021 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 12:51 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

On my way back from Misericordia today I spotted a new business on Sherbrook, Hudson Bagels Inc.

Not a bagels guy, but I sure do love that signage.

Will give them a try soon.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
On my way back from Misericordia today I spotted a new business on Sherbrook, Hudson Bagels Inc.

Not a bagels guy, but I sure do love that signage.

Will give them a try soon.
Meh, people love it because of the branding. The sandwiches are good because of the toppings but when the thing you're actually selling (bagels) is not good – I can't let that slide.

If you want a good local bagel, go to Gunns or Hildegards.

--

Also "Smokin' Aces" is opening in the forer Footw3rk on McDermot. Appears to be another club.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:06 PM

Donut House bagels are the only ones in Winnipeg that I'd go out of my way for... everything else falls into the "OK" category. I haven't tried Hudson Bagels yet... I do like their name, though.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:20 PM

Jolibee is opening a third location at 1130 Narin in the former Chicken Chef. Hopefully they have better luck than the long list of places that have tired that location.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:29 PM

The Chicken Chef moved just down the street. Not sure what's wrong with that location.

But in general, that stretch of Nairn is dated and doesn't scream come here to eat. It's got oil changes, transmission places, industrial type stuff.

I wonder what will come of the Tony Roma's. I still don't get the concept of booting people out during the pandemic, especially when you purpose built that place for Tony Roma's. Then trying to find someone to take the space in the current market. Should've just let Tony Roma's sit empty and re-open now. Maybe Tony's just wanted to close, but that would seem odd.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:51 PM

I agree, the bagels at Hudson Bagels are just okay. However, its a really nice shop in a fairly urban area and it falls into the 'modern bagel shop' that has become really popular in other cities.

I think Bagelsmith on Carlton makes a superior bagel and bagel sandwiches.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:58 PM
the first stamp is free

I like Gunn's bagels and Hudson is in walking distance from me (and pretty good for this non-expert bagel guy).

Where are the best bagels in Winnipeg?

The "Donut House" place looks interesting. It checks off the "non-descript location in the north end so it must be good" box.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:31 PM

The st vital mall parking lot area needs some sort of polo development with restaurant pad sites and residential towers to help save that mall. St vital is in need of more restaurants. Jollibee should open a south location, as well as fatburger.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Where are the best bagels in Winnipeg?

The "Donut House" place looks interesting. It checks off the "non-descript location in the north end so it must be good" box.
The unarguable Winnipeg mark of excellence

I suspect purists won't love Donut House bagels as they aren't the archetypal example of the "real thing" the way that, say, Gunn's product is, but I've worked in buildings that served them in the cafeteria and when you toast them, add a bit of butter, they are just

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
The st vital mall parking lot area needs some sort of polo development with restaurant pad sites and residential towers to help save that mall. St vital is in need of more restaurants. Jollibee should open a south location, as well as fatburger.
Rather than doing that, St. Vital should try and poach a few of the retailers in the surrounding strip malls to help fill all the vacancies in the mall itself...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:10 AM

I'm Jewish so I get to decide (lol jk). Some places don't boil long enough, so the inside is not chewy enough and just becomes like a dense dry bread.

Gunn's is hands down the best IMO. If you have not had a Gunn's twisted poppyseed bagel, I'm not sure you've truly lift. It's incredible, as are even their plain ones.

Hildegard's are also very good (only avail thurs-sat I believe). They also must have some sort of fancy baking holder because they somehow manage to get toppings on both sides which is cool. Although I digress, I like that both sides of a bagel are different – the top half is lighter and fluffier (great for peanut butter) and the bottom half chewy and almost sticky (ideal for cream cheese).

To me Hudson's Bagels is the Bronuts of bagels. Awesome branding and hype and has that new and cool factor - but the actual bagel (/donut) is subpar and very dry. In the donut world, Bronuts is not even in the same category as Oh Doughnuts.

I haven't had Bagelsmith yet, but I personally think Montreal style bagels are trash. Always hard and dry, and the giant hole is so dumb... all the toppings fall through!!! I think there's just so many shops in Montreal that the style got name recognition and became popular. IMO "Winnipeg style" bagels (like Gunn's) are far superior. It's something we should tout more like Winnipeg rye bread.

I've heard Mottola's are bad, but will reserve judgement til I try. Tommy's Pizzeria just started doing bagels too.

Good night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Chicken Chef moved just down the street. Not sure what's wrong with that location.

But in general, that stretch of Nairn is dated and doesn't scream come here to eat. It's got oil changes, transmission places, industrial type stuff.

I wonder what will come of the Tony Roma's. I still don't get the concept of booting people out during the pandemic, especially when you purpose built that place for Tony Roma's. Then trying to find someone to take the space in the current market. Should've just let Tony Roma's sit empty and re-open now. Maybe Tony's just wanted to close, but that would seem odd.
I know someone who went to look at it who's looking to open a restaurant - they said the kitchen was so disgusting they'd never move in without completely gutting it and starting fresh.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:30 PM
the first stamp is free

This is all good information.

Hildegards is in my hood as well. I looked and regular (i.e. not vegan) bagels are available on Friday and Saturday.

The only Gunn's bagels I have had were from Foodfare on Portage. They stock a decent supply there, but I may have to try them out fresh from the source.

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:58 PM

It's been a while since I've been to Gunn's and the Donut House... I feel a trip to Selkirk Ave. coming on.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I know someone who went to look at it who's looking to open a restaurant - they said the kitchen was so disgusting they'd never move in without completely gutting it and starting fresh.
Gross.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:51 PM

New brunch spot from the owners of Sous Sol opening in May in the old South Osborne Hermano's location – Tabula Rasa

https://instagram.com/tabularasawpg/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:56 PM

^ Interesting... I'm sure that will do quite well around there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 12:47 AM

That location seems cursed, not a whole lot has lasted there in recent years. I hope it works out. That strip seems to have lots on the go between big Park Alleys Reno and what seems to be a big Park Theatre reno

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 10:42 PM

The Beer Can's new site at the Granite Club looks well underway. Looked like they were putting some timber framing up across from the converted seacan they use as a bar. A stage maybe?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan