HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Excellent news, bad photos aside.

It's amazing to me how the media and the left-wing intelligentsia has invented this supposed infatuation on the part of Harper with GWB -- and the sad thing is that so many of my fellow Canadians buy into it -- it seems the only thing the anti-Conservative forces have that will stick is to play the old anti-Americanism card a la Diefenbaker, Trudeau and Chretien. It amuses/amazes/confounds me that people somehow feel the our PM shouldn't have a close working relationship with our largest trading partner and most strategic global ally.

The man has a family and is a foster-parent to homeless kittens--the "emotionless" label is worn-out and another 'invention'...let's be honest, with Trudeau in everyone's collective memory - anyone would seem emotionless.
having a close relationship with our largest trading partner is one thing.
Letting them call the shots for us is another story.
I get tired of the US using and abusing anyone the call an "allied country".
Hezbollah invades Israel and the US helps them bomb the tar out of them for 2 weeks. Georgia invades Ossieta and the US (and their idiot media clowns) lambastes Russia for defending Ossieta. They're a bunch of hypocrites bent on nothing but their own gain regardless of how many perfectly good cities and families need to be destroyed in the process.
They tell US how to distribute OUR OWN oil. That's not called "a close relationship".
That's called becoming another one of the brain-dead talking heads.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:58 PM
Closed account

ps...sorry for the next page of off-topic discussion. Lol.
It's fastcars fault! haha.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 11:34 PM
On Guard For Thee

Sure, blame me for defending my political beliefs. I've said my piece...as for the distribution of our oil - when I see this country stop cashing the cheques I will be more open listening to criticism.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 1:04 AM
Closed account

It's all in fun. How could someone not take a jab at a politician wearing something like that?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 1:08 AM

Wait until Harper decides we should sell the water from our Great Lakes to the US and then we as the civilians have to buy it back for everyday use from some American corporation...

And about the funny Harper picture, politicians get made fun of on a regular basis. Why is this any different? Because of the particular party? Is it okay to make fun of LIberals but not Conservatives? I don't follow...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:26 AM
Closed account

they all suck.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 9:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

You can see what is happening at McMaster Hospital's renovation.....

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/432298

With the renovations taking place a lot of ceiling tiles have been coming down and opening up the space for skylights. It's really nice.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:33 PM
Closed account

Here's the vid from the Spec website:

According to the Spec it's at an "undisclosed off-site location for security reasons".

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:35 PM
Closed account

Oops. Sorry for the duplication. Didn't see your previous post.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Here's the vid from the Spec website:

According to the Spec it's at an "undisclosed off-site location for security reasons".
I have to admit I'm now curious as to where this is located.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton hospitals to cut nearly 500 jobs
HHS must trim $25m by the end of the year

November 12, 2008
Joanna Frketich
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton’s hospitals are cutting 485 jobs to avoid multi-million-dollar deficits.

It’s hoped the jobs will be lost through attrition and not filling vacancies but layoffs are possible.

“Unquestionably we’re certainly going to have to look at cutting work hours,” said Kevin Smith, CEO of St. Joseph’s. “I think it’s frankly unrealistic that we wouldn’t have a reduction with that size of a shortfall.”

Nurses say patients will be impacted no matter how the jobs are cut.

“The patients are going to be receiving less hours of nursing care,” said Linda Haslam-Stroud, a Hamilton nurse and president of the Ontario Nurses’ Association.

“Our patients are going to have less contact with the nurse because she’s now spread thinner. That’s going to mean less observation for our patients and less assessment of them.”

Hamilton Health Sciences is cutting 300 of its 10,000 jobs and 10 have already been lost through attrition at St. Peter’s Hospital.

It needs to cut $25 million out of its $1-billion budget by the end of the fiscal year on March 31. It has already cut $500,000 from St. Peter’s $30-million budget.

St. Joseph’s needs to cut 175 jobs to save $12 million. It currently has 4,500 staff and a budget of $500 million.

Both St. Joseph’s and HHS have about 100 vacancies each, which will be targeted first.

Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital in Burlington is short $5.5 million but isn’t saying yet how many jobs will be impacted.

The shortfalls are a result of a gap between provincial funding and inflation. The province is giving hospitals an increase of about 2.1 per cent this fiscal year, but their costs are going up between 4 and 5 per cent.

However, the hospitals blame the ailing economy, and not the province, for the lack of cash.

“This is not me whining about more money, it isn’t there,” St. Joseph's Smith said. “We need to be very upfront and honest and respectful of government.

They can’t produce money that doesn’t exist. Health care can not be divorced from the world’s economy.”

HHS is the city’s largest employer and runs McMaster University Medical Centre, the Juravinski Cancer Centre, Henderson General, Hamilton General, Chedoke, St. Peter’s and McMaster Children’s hospitals.

St. Joseph’s runs an urgent care centre in Stoney Creek, the Centre for Mountain Health Services, as well as its acute care hospital on Charlton Avenue East.

Hospital executives warn patients their finances aren’t expected to get better any time soon.

“We’re assuming that for at least another couple of years we’re going to have significant belt-tightening that has to go on,” said Murray Martin, head of HHS.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Cutting-edge cancer technology comes to Ontario

CTV.ca News Staff
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

A major worldwide healthcare technology developer has chosen to test out some cutting-edge breast cancer detection technology on patients receiving care at an Ontario hospital.

It was announced Friday morning that GE Healthcare will test various molecular breast imaging probe prototypes at Henderson General Hospital in Hamilton, about 70 kilometres outside of Toronto.

The technology the company will be testing seeks to detect small tumours in women's breasts that are not found as easily through conventional mammography. The goal is to locate such tumours in their very earliest stages, so that treatment can be administered to patients as early as possible.

Early detection is a major factor in surviving breast cancer, with Mayo Clinic research suggesting that as many as 98 per cent of women will live for at least five years after being diagnosed for early-stage, localized breast cancers.

In Ontario alone, 8,500 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.

Dr. Tom Hudson, president and scientific director of the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research, said the technology that will be tested in Hamilton holds much promise for cancer patients.

"This technology promises to have a significant impact on care for high-risk patients whose tiny tumours cannot be seen by mammography," Hudson said in a released statement.

"We hope this will lead to earlier detection, better treatment and ultimately save lives."

The company said it chose to test its technologies in Hamilton because of the research facilities and programs available in the area -- including the oncology and nuclear medicine programs in place at McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences.

Health Canada and the hospital's research ethics board will review all of the clinical studies taking place in Hamilton.

The provincial Ministry of Research and Innovation will kick in $450,000 towards the project through its investment in the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research.

According to the official GE Healthcare website, the $17 billion company employs more than 46,000 people in more than 100 countries around the globe. It is a unit of General Electric Company.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 3:51 PM
Closed account

High school grads to screen blood

March 23, 2009
Joanna Frketich
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 23, 2009)
Canadian Blood Services is replacing nurses with high school graduates to screen potential blood donors.

Despite telling Ontario's Standing Committee on Justice Policy three years ago critical functions such as donor eligibility assessment can be done only by nurses, it is now planning on training Grade 12 graduates to do the job.

There will still be at least one nurse to supervise each blood donor clinic and consult about tough calls on donor eligibility.

But the majority of screening will be done by staff who take a course paid for by CBS at Ottawa-based Algonquin College.

The length of the course is still being determined.

Ontario nurses currently train for four years at university.

"The thinking is to really align the roles more closely with the valuable skill sets nurses bring into our organization," said Mark Donnison, executive director of donor and clinic services.

That is a complete turnaround from an oral presentation given in May 2006 by chief operating officer Ian Mumford to Ontario's Standing Committee on Justice Policy regarding Bill 56, which expanded the government's power to respond to emergencies.

"Given the highly regulated nature of our business, many of the critical functions must be performed by doctors, nurses or technologists," said Mumford. "For example, a nurse can only perform eligibility assessment of donors ... we are, therefore, not permitted to substitute other staff or volunteers to perform those duties."

CBS is now planning on submitting a proposal to Health Canada to change the regulations to allow it to substitute other staff to do the job of donor screening.

"Canadians can be confident that whenever Health Canada receives a submission from Canadian Blood Services or Hema-Quebec to change established procedures, sufficient evidence must be provided to show that the change will not compromise the safety to the donor and/or recipient," Health Canada spokesperson Alastair Sinclair said in a statement.

CBS says the change is necessary because of an acute shortage of nurses nationwide. The Canadian Nurses Association predicts the country will be short 78,000 nurses in as little as two years.

"As we're looking at our ability to collect enough blood, we are facing some situations where our clinics are being affected by not having enough staff in them," said Donnison. "It's really prompted us to take a look to see how we can move ahead and deal with this challenge in the future."

The Ontario Nurses' Association says it's dangerous to have less-skilled and unregulated workers screening blood donors.

ONA president Linda Haslam-Stroud argues nurses' medical knowledge, understanding of patient confidentiality and the accountability of being part of a regulatory college are essential to the job.

"When you are doing an assessment, this isn't about ticking off a sheet," she said. "You're asking pretty invasive questions, like your sexual behaviour, and picking up and recognizing a lot of symptoms."

jfrketich@thespec.com

905-526-3349

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/535007

Not so sure I like this idea.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:11 PM

I'm ok with it. Seems pretty pointless to take four years of university just to do blood screening.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:18 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

A lab technician could easily do the job.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Who wants to pay for a lab tech with benefits if you can hire a student.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:25 PM
Closed account

And look at the past with the poor screening in the 80s when the AIDS vrus became a problem. And that was properly trained people at the time.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:26 PM
Needs more coffee...

Seriously, the job is not that complicated. It's almost an insult to the nurses' skills to make them do that job.

If not comfortable with high school grads, CERTAINLY lab techs who take blood, get consent forms, and do this daily in the workplace anyway could do it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:08 PM

Get real

I am a donor and the majority of the clinic does not need 4 yrs of University. Anyone can ask the questions and do you really think they care after about the first week. if they have concerns refer you to THE nurse or supervisor.
I have had blood taken and most lab techs or medics do better thsn a nurse who doesn't have the venipuncture course or constant practice. If the hospitals are short direct the RNs there.
So RN don't like the shift work as they have families. CDS is mostly 9-5 Mon to Fri
I get insulted with the same old stupid questions if I had sex in Chad even once since 1985. Well there was that one night OK I was drunk but I wore a condom. So much time is wasted with the questionaire, I get asked for ID at least 4 times and I go to the same place and only there, Put a picture on my blood donors card.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy