HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
On top of St. Bernard's Square, absolutely.

This concept drawing of what Downing Street could be like is now over five year old. Just imagine this on top of Blue Cross, the Assumption Plaza, the City Hall complex, FiveFive Queen and now St. Bernard's Square, all in an about four block area, and you can see that the city is actually developing an honest to God urban core.

One can hope..............
True. If/when they get the new east-west street built it'll really open up a lot of land for development while getting rid of a big chunk of surface parking at the same time. Couple that with a brand new upgraded St. George Street, and the whole downtown area takes a big step forward. Plus of course all the other development going on and just about to start.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the press release:

Quote:
Investment in Moncton’s drinking water system
22 February 2021

MONCTON (GNB) – Provincial, federal and municipal officials announced funding today to upgrade Moncton’s drinking water system by using technology to remove harmful toxins that blue-green algae can produce.

“Our government’s priority is to invest in strategic infrastructure projects that build vibrant and sustainable communities,” said Finance and Treasury Board Minister Ernie Steeves. “With these upgrades, we are protecting public health and equipping the city with the infrastructure it needs for continued population growth and economic recovery.”

Steeves spoke on behalf of Environment and Climate Change Minister Gary Crossman, who is also minister responsible for the Regional Development Corporation

The project involves researching and testing new and existing water treatment processes that will remove toxins, as well as selecting and implementing the chosen process to mitigate the increasing threat of blue-green algae.

“Investments in essential public infrastructure are vital to building resilient communities. Improving Moncton’s drinking water system will provide residents with safer and more reliable water services for years to come,” said Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Ginette Petitpas Taylor. “Canada’s infrastructure plan invests in thousands of projects, creates jobs, and builds cleaner, more inclusive communities.”

Taylor spoke for federal Infrastructure and Communities Minister Catherine McKenna.

The federal government is investing $8.8 million through the Green Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada program to support this project. The provincial government is providing over $7.3 million, and the City of Moncton is contributing over $5.8 million.

“The City of Moncton is responsible for New Brunswick’s largest municipal potable water supply,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “As we saw in the summer of 2020, blue-green algae presents a real threat to our watershed and this funding will ensure we take the required steps to minimize toxins and ensure the residents of Moncton, Riverview, and Dieppe have safe, quality drinking water. By equipping Greater Moncton with the required infrastructure, we are protecting our water supply to support our region’s continued growth.”
So, not a big shiny new downtown construction project, but an important investment nonetheless.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:56 PM

Nice to see all 3 levels of government working together on this one. We were dangerously close last year to having our water supply compromised.

Not as exciting as major development news that I'd love to see, but its a nice example of having a close call and investing some money to mitigate future risk. I can't help but think of what's going on in Texas and see a situation where government was warned years ago to prepare for disaster and didn't, and now you have 1/3 of the state still without drinking water after a week.

I can't say I know much about drinking water systems but it looks like a good infrastructure investment from an armchair point of view.

I would still love to see that Downing street plan come together. You could safely say Moncton can now support a tower that size and the units will fill without any issue. You might not have been able to say that 6-7 years ago. I can remember a time on here when the discussion was "whos buying or renting these high end condo's/apartments with the low cost of housing in Moncton??"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is apparently a $17M plan to upgrade the old Moncton Coliseum:

https://tj.news/story/101492401?ref=...=1614031523127

The details are behind a paywall, but apparently they now plan on keeping the ice surface at the Coliseum for the long haul, and a new ice plant alone will cost $1.1M.

The facility itself is still profitable hosting trade shows (except during a pandemic), so it does make some sense to continue to invest to keep the building operational.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
There is apparently a $17M plan to upgrade the old Moncton Coliseum:

https://tj.news/story/101492401?ref=...=1614031523127

The details are behind a paywall, but apparently they now plan on keeping the ice surface at the Coliseum for the long haul, and a new ice plant alone will cost $1.1M.

The facility itself is still profitable hosting trade shows (except during a pandemic), so it does make some sense to continue to invest to keep the building operational.
I remember seeing suggestions some time ago about the idea of development on the coliseum property. They have an immense sea of underused asphalt sitting there, and the suggestion was to create residential units. Although there was no foundation behind the suggestion, I thought it was an interesting idea.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:47 PM

Here's a story on the coliseum upgrades from 91.9 radio:

https://www.919thebend.ca/2021/02/23...s-uncertainty/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:10 PM

Added the Kent on Mapleton (Not sure if I got the location right) and the "rumour" on Record St. to the Google Map

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:42 PM

Interesting that the CCD Canada website has posted: MONCTON TWIN OAK DEVELOPMENT, BUILDING 1

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton PAC agenda for March 24th:
https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...sory-committee

A busy meeting, but nothing earth shattering here (not like last month).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Moncton PAC agenda for March 24th:
https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...sory-committee

A busy meeting, but nothing earth shattering here (not like last month).
Nothing spectacular but the development on Weston and clover should be a nice infill next the Harrisville blv.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton cannabis 'centre of excellence' to result from $221M Organigram stock deal
New centre will result in creation of 50 new jobs, says company CEO
Aidan Cox · CBC News · Posted: Mar 11, 2021 5:46 PM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...wick-1.5945981

So, British American Tobacco is spending $221M for less than a 20% equity stake in Organigram to fund this centre of excellence. This means that the market capitalization of Organigram is greater than a billion dollars!

This centre of excellence will not require additional construction at their Edinburgh Drive facility, but will create 50 new high paying jobs. Good news.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 12:28 AM

Just sake for the purpose. I was wondering if we needed to eliminate the train track that runs in the city . Were would we bypass the line to connect to Sj John. Quick look at google map it seems this would very complicated.

With new safety measures and laws this may have to happens in the future.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think the chances we will ever see the CNR mainline rerouted out of the city is virtually nil. Surveying, land acquisition and construction costs would realistically run into the hundreds of millions of dollars and who would pay for this? Not CNR. Why should they? The current alignment works just fine for them. It's only a pain in the ass for motorists in the downtown core whenever they have to wait for a 150 unit train to pass by, and that only happens several times per day.

An argument could be made on the basis of safety and liability concerns if there were ever a major derailment. While such a disaster is possible, I'm sure CNR is extra vigilant about track maintenance in built up areas, and speed limits in the city are lowered, so a derailed train would not have as much momentum as it would in a rural area.

The only was a new alignment will become a priority is if the province mandates it, and if they did, I imagine there would be an expectation that they would have to subsidize the cost of such a venture.

There would be costs to the community if the tracks were realigned. The passenger station would no longer be downtown. There are also a number of spurs to industrial areas in the city that would have to be maintained, or, if abandoned, then alternative transportation of heavy goods to the companies supplied by these spurs would have to be arranged (improved highway and street infrastructure).

I don't see this ever happening.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 2:45 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Burying the tracks between the VIA station and the old Moncton High would probably make more sense. Lots of places use a cut-and-cover approach. I believe that's how the Eglington Crosstown in Toronto is being built. It would still be an expensive proposition though. I have no idea how you'd do that while maintaining service.

With Lutes mountain in the way, any alternative route around the city is going to be a huge undertaking. As MonctonRad points out, you'd still need to connect up the existing infrastructure in the industrial parks and Gordon Yard too.

As has been said, I can't see anything happening any time soon. There just isn't that much traffic on the rail line. It isn't even double-tracked anymore.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Burying the tracks between the VIA station and the old Moncton High would probably make more sense. Lots of places use a cut-and-cover approach. I believe that's how the Eglington Crosstown in Toronto is being built. It would still be an expensive proposition though. I have no idea how you'd do that while maintaining service.

With Lutes mountain in the way, any alternative route around the city is going to be a huge undertaking. As MonctonRad points out, you'd still need to connect up the existing infrastructure in the industrial parks and Gordon Yard too.

As has been said, I can't see anything happening any time soon. There just isn't that much traffic on the rail line. It isn't even double-tracked anymore.
Going around the city would be a mammoth undertaking with a lot of complex problems to solve. The cost would be enormous, and even some cost sharing formula wouldn't be accepted. If there were ever to be a solution to RR tracks cutting through the city core, it would be to either bury or elevate the tracks. Again, both ideas would be complex and costly. I doubt we see any change in the status quo our lifetime.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 3:44 PM

Or just hear me out... The train ends at the Moncton Station and instead of going under or around, we go up... Dare I say...

there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine, bona fide
Electrified, six-car monorail
What'd I say?
Monorail
What's it called?
Monorail
That's right! Monorail
Monorail
Monorail
Monorail

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good idea, but what are you going to do about the VIA Atlantic, or those 150 car freight trains that trundle through the city several times a day?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Yes, but I don't think it's advisable for freight trains to be travelling underground. I'm not an expert on these things, though. The Eglinton Line is just for light rail passenger transport.

I can't think of any section of VIA Rail in Canada that is underground at any point. Maybe some tunnels out west?

Moncton's probably stuck with a freight rail corridor through its centre for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:

Good idea, but what are you going to do about the VIA Atlantic, or those 150 car freight trains that trundle through the city several times a day?
Could the train be broken up and taken through the city in sections, then reconnected at grade after the elevated tracks end? I'm not an engineer so I have no idea if any of this is even possible.

Once again, it would be great to see those terrible RR crossings on city streets gone. What an improvement it would make to our city core. But I just can't see it happening any time soon.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yes, but I don't think it's advisable for freight trains to be travelling underground. I'm not an expert on these things, though. The Eglinton Line is just for light rail passenger transport.
Agreed

Tunnel fires can burn blistering hot and can generate a lot of smoke which can't be vented. We've seen catastrophes related to this in the Alps a couple of times in the last 15 years or so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces