HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:43 PM

March PAC agenda: https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...1pacagenda.pdf

Rezoning land at the end of Lian and Langille. Note that there is space allocated for a future water tower. Rezoning creates 30 R1-N lots, one MR-2 lot, and two MR-4 lots. Since all the R1-N lots from the last phase are sold I'd expect we'll see this new street built ASAP.

Also the rezoning for a 39 unit mixed use building at 616-618 Union, adjacent to New England Pizza. A bit of an add design, and due to the narrow lot it requires driving through the building to get to the back parking lot. I feel like this lot would be better suited to two smaller buildings, one on the street and one at the back of the lot, with the parking lot in between them. The site plan implies that there is a storm drain back there though, so that might not be possible.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:24 PM

It is a different design but pleased to see this infill project move forward. Also good to see that it includes a commercial component.

On a different note..anyone hear any updates re the proposed multi-unit/commercial offerings that Colpitts is planning for the York Train Station area? Based on the previous chatter I would have expected Colpitts to be active on that site this summer

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:45 PM

Per my last post, now open in the Hanwell Industrial park. Great looking build.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
Per my last post, now open in the Hanwell Industrial park. Great looking build.

Looks nice! Too bad Mcleans on Union wouldn't move forward on their planned major rebuild.

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 4, 2021 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:51 PM

I like the Union lot. The back parking lot looks to be for the apartment/condo people only. there's only a small lot at the front of the garage for the commercial portion. I agree it's strange to have to go through the building though.

I wonder if they just anticipate people to use the Giant Tiger parking lot and just walk on over... I probably would.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
I like the Union lot. The back parking lot looks to be for the apartment/condo people only. there's only a small lot at the front of the garage for the commercial portion. I agree it's strange to have to go through the building though.

I wonder if they just anticipate people to use the Giant Tiger parking lot and just walk on over... I probably would.
As they add street frontage retail it would be great to also add street parking.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:52 PM

I wonder if the commercial clients are signed up for the Union street property, or if they just picked some random local(ish) businesses?

Both of those businesses would be good to add along Union street; especially Pita Pit; but they both also have locations reflected on Main street already so that might be too close.

It's an interesting building design in general. I'm a little surprised they didn't use the roof space to allocate more rooftop patios for the residences. Maybe they wanted to limit access to the roof areas with hardware (air exchangers, etc...) and a rooftop patio there would make it difficult?

On a different topic entirely, has anyone been out to Douglas recently? It feels like that area is really growing with suburbia. It feels to me that it may be reaching critical mass for another commercial node. At the very least maybe another Tims or something might be appropriate to add to the highway, maybe around the Hope City church? or maybe closer to Chopper Rods. Basically soemwhere on the 105, west of Sunset Drive.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:32 PM

I like the weird Union building. Sure it's nothing special to look at, but it's got it all. Street frontage for business, stepped back from the street, hidden parking, makes good use of a narrow lot. Garage entrance is reasonably discrete.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I like the weird Union building. Sure it's nothing special to look at, but it's got it all. Street frontage for business, stepped back from the street, hidden parking, makes good use of a narrow lot. Garage entrance is reasonably discrete.
Agreed!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I think combining this with the empty lot next door could have resulted in a better multiphase development but this is a great start for adding street fronting mixed use to Devon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Agreed. I think combining this with the empty lot next door could have resulted in a better multiphase development but this is a great start for adding street fronting mixed use to Devon.
Honestly, the site restraints likely led to the density. If they had the lot next door they would have probably built parallel to the street.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
On a different topic entirely, has anyone been out to Douglas recently? It feels like that area is really growing with suburbia. It feels to me that it may be reaching critical mass for another commercial node. At the very least maybe another Tims or something might be appropriate to add to the highway, maybe around the Hope City church? or maybe closer to Chopper Rods. Basically soemwhere on the 105, west of Sunset Drive.
I've said over and over that Fredericton shouldn't go zoning a new suburban commercial district until even a single one of Main, Union, or 2NC are built out. I can see maybe encouraging neighborhood retail along Clements Drive, something akin to 523 Canterbury. Any serious multi-unit commercial there will only drive further residential development in the area, much of which is outside the 2041 Growth Boundary set out in the Municipal Plan (we have a good plan, let's try actually following it) and even outside the city limit, which should be avoided at all costs. A bus route and a good trail are the only things the area has going for it as a hub of any sort as there are virtually no multi-unit buildings, the only road is two lanes with no room for expansion, and all the nice waterfront land is taken up by single family houses despite all being within 1-2 blocks of the road.

Brookside West was chosen as the largest area for future development because it already has much of the necessary infrastructure, road layouts are already chosen and the Brookside Mall is already a hub.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Honestly, the site restraints likely led to the density. If they had the lot next door they would have probably built parallel to the street.
That's why I said multiphase. There would be enough room to have 1-2 buildings fronting on Union as well as one at the back of the lot on the water. Most developers have been building the max number of units allowed on a lot anyways.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I've said over and over that Fredericton shouldn't go zoning a new suburban commercial district until even a single one of Main, Union, or 2NC are built out. I can see maybe encouraging neighborhood retail along Clements Drive, something akin to 523 Canterbury. Any serious multi-unit commercial there will only drive further residential development in the area, much of which is outside the 2041 Growth Boundary set out in the Municipal Plan (we have a good plan, let's try actually following it) and even outside the city limit, which should be avoided at all costs. A bus route and a good trail are the only things the area has going for it as a hub of any sort as there are virtually no multi-unit buildings, the only road is two lanes with no room for expansion, and all the nice waterfront land is taken up by single family houses despite all being within 1-2 blocks of the road.

Brookside West was chosen as the largest area for future development because it already has much of the necessary infrastructure, road layouts are already chosen and the Brookside Mall is already a hub.
There hasn't really been that much development west of Sunset anyways. A handful of houses on Blake Court, a handful at the end of Regiment Creek/Gilridge, and maybe a couple others.

I don't think there's a ton of demand for lots in that area. Oak Ridge is the developer of the Gilridge neighbourhood as well as Bishop Heights. Obviously Bishop Heights is growing rapidly but they're selling off 58 acres that are approved for nearly 200 lots behind Gilridge Estates: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ad-fredericton

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:15 PM

Here's some photos I snapped of the Queen street developments from the Northside. My phone is obviously not the best suited for this, maybe I'll bring my Nikon over next chance I have.

20210306_145912 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210306_150234 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210306_150216 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:51 PM

I know this was mentioned earlier on this thread but drove down Forest Hill Rd today. The site prep for the Micro-apartment complex is in full spring. Numerous heavy equipment is on-site and active. Good to see this project move forward

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I know this was mentioned earlier on this thread but drove down Forest Hill Rd today. The site prep for the Micro-apartment complex is in full spring. Numerous heavy equipment is on-site and active. Good to see this project move forward
Yes, I had thought this project might be dead.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I see they've made a couple gravel roads for heavy equipment on the Waterloo Row side. Are they going to have a full time driveway on that side? Or will the only entrance be off of Forest Hill

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
I see they've made a couple gravel roads for heavy equipment on the Waterloo Row side. Are they going to have a full time driveway on that side? Or will the only entrance be off of Forest Hill
The site plan shows no access from Forest Hill, only one driveway from Waterloo Row.

https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...pacoct2019.pdf

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:10 AM

Posted this in the Saint John Retail Thread, and thought I would post it here too since it's also coming to Fredericton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
It appears Cazza Petite is coming to both Saint John and Fredericton. Job listings are now online. They must be coming to McAllister Place and Regent Mall.

Source: https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Cazza-Petite/jobs

Their Website: https://cazzapetitezacks.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces