HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:41 PM

Geez, what are they doing to that grass in MP? It looks as if that picture as taken in Florida or something.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
From the Sunday Sun-Times: "The developers are talking a trade with the city: Surrendering one of the development sites for the school, probably along Columbus Drive south of the Aqua. In exchange, the city would grant zoning authority for buildings a little taller than a current maximum of about 70 stories near Lake Shore Drive."

I was under the understanding that the school would go between the Chandler and the Lancaster... it would be a shame if they put it inbetween the BCBS and Aqua, where another tall building would add some nice density to offset the huge plaza that surrounds the Aon Center.

They dont even really need to protect the views of Aqua from a sales standpoint, the building is almost entirely sold out. Another building with even only partial views of Millenium Park at that location should sell rather well. It would be a missed opportunity, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:27 PM

I'd rather they NOT put a tall building between Aqua and BCBS. . . it would be nice to have them mix it up with some mid-low rise stuff to give the park some scale. . .

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I was under the understanding that the school would go between the Chandler and the Lancaster... it would be a shame if they put it inbetween the BCBS and Aqua, where another tall building would add some nice density to offset the huge plaza that surrounds the Aon Center.

They dont even really need to protect the views of Aqua from a sales standpoint, the building is almost entirely sold out. Another building with even only partial views of Millenium Park at that location should sell rather well. It would be a missed opportunity, IMO.

I agree. We already have the massive Aqua base and BCBS Plaza on either side of the narrow development site (= plenty of low-rise stuff to the west from the park level). Personally, I think this would be an excellent site for LSE's next rental tower, as the location is phenomenal for apartments (less space for cars needed), less than 3 block walk from probably 7 or 8 million sq ft of office space (BCBS, Prudential Plaza, Aon, Illinois Center, etc).....I think this is the wrong location for the school and much prefer where it was planned (not the park as Roeder was talking about, but the area between the Lancaster and Shoreham)...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:54 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
I'd rather they NOT put a tall building between Aqua and BCBS. . . it would be nice to have them mix it up with some mid-low rise stuff to give the park some scale. . .
Something 300' or so would be nice, but certianly not more than 400' imo. Aqua's podium will give it some breathing room. I don't think the space should be sacrificed for nothingness, but it would be even worse to build something 600' or greater.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 8:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Curved balconies for the fourth floor slab have been installed but are currently covered in plastic for whatever reason.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Something 300' or so would be nice, but certianly not more than 400' imo. Aqua's podium will give it some breathing room. I don't think the space should be sacrificed for nothingness, but it would be even worse to build something 600' or greater.
Once BCBS announced their expanded height, the site south of Aqua lost it's value for a high-rise condo building. The southern views of Millennium Park are gone. Magellan still has 3 or 4 sites to develop in the Northeast corner of LSE. These sites will have great lake views and command better prices, so I can see why Magellan wants to trade the site south of Aqua in exchange for increased heights for other buildings.

However, I don't see how a school works at that site. If it is at the park level, will it be surrounded on three sides by 50 foot walls? If it is at the upper Columbus Street level then what do you put in the 4 to 5 level podium, plus the children will have a very long staircase to get to the park for any outdoor activities.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber925 View Post
However, I don't see how a school works at that site. If it is at the park level, will it be surrounded on three sides by 50 foot walls? If it is at the upper Columbus Street level then what do you put in the 4 to 5 level podium, plus the children will have a very long staircase to get to the park for any outdoor activities.
The lower levels could be parking for staff, as well as the gym area, library or lunchroom. The building could be tiered to allow for outdoor space also.

Long staircases? So what, a little exercise will prevent them from becoming fat ass adults.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:10 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Long staircases? So what, a little exercise will prevent them from becoming fat ass adults.
Parents should be more concerned about their kid's wellbeing after being forced to spend years inside a Loewenberg-designed school.

*I don't know who's actually designing the school, but I sure hope it's not him. Although it might make for a cool psychological experiment...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:10 AM
you know where I'll be

[QUOTE=Saber925;3195753]Once BCBS announced their expanded height, the site south of Aqua lost it's value for a high-rise condo building. The southern views of Millennium Park are gone. Magellan still has 3 or 4 sites to develop in the Northeast corner of LSE. These sites will have great lake views and command better prices, so I can see why Magellan wants to trade the site south of Aqua in exchange for increased heights for other buildings.
QUOTE]

I'd agree for condo, but not for rentals. This would be the most ideal site for the next rental tower...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:04 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Parents should be more concerned about their kid's wellbeing after being forced to spend years inside a Loewenberg-designed school.

*I don't know who's actually designing the school, but I sure hope it's not him. Although it might make for a cool psychological experiment...
Cheap architecture induces mental redardation?

Seriously, its fun to be all "ha ha" etc, but the man is giving us what might be the most significant piece of Chicago highrise architecture since JHC.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Cheap architecture induces mental redardation?

Seriously, its fun to be all "ha ha" etc, but the man is giving us what might be the most significant piece of Chicago highrise architecture since JHC.
No, Jeanne Gane and her team is...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:16 PM

I disagree. . . Aqua isn't that groundbreaking. . . it's interesting, but nothing more than that. . . and the podium is pretty hideous. . . it's just too big and doesn't help with the existing experience of isolation one gets walking around Illinois Center. . .

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:00 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
I disagree. . . Aqua isn't that groundbreaking. . . it's interesting, but nothing more than that. . .
I'd say its extemely interesting, probably second to the Spire in Chicago right now. This building will stand out and make a statement. I love it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:39 PM

Nov 30 - AM

From Lower LSD w Spire cranes in foreground.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 12:53 AM

Thanks harryc.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
I disagree. . . Aqua isn't that groundbreaking. . . it's interesting, but nothing more than that. . . and the podium is pretty hideous. . . it's just too big and doesn't help with the existing experience of isolation one gets walking around Illinois Center. . .
The problem is that it's elevated above Columbus. When I initially saw plans (as a lurker here), and of course didn't read anything, it looked to me like the top of the Aqua podium would be level with Columbus and accessible. I thought it was perfect that they bridged the gap between the elevated Columbus Drive and lower park with a "upper park" and a long staircase. But alas, it'll look like a big one story blank wall along Columbus.

I think it would have been awesome to link the Lakeshore East park with Lake Street (or is it Water Street?) by way of a big, sweeping, Spanish Steps type staircase with retail along that side of the park, where the Aqua townhomes are.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 4:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
As far as I can tell from never having seen it, I think I agree with this statement.

But it is a pretty damn promising start for a firm that has never done high-rises before, and it's obvious with their Hyde Park proposal that they are getting better.

Anyway, having interesting a good design is better than simply trying to be groundbreaking arbitrarily. I am not convinced yet that Aqua is good design yet, but I am hopeful the details will make it so.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 9:58 PM

Newly Installed Marketing Banners

Photo's taken by EarlyBuyer 12/1/07

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 11:10 PM

Construction Update Photo's #1

Taken by EarlyBuyer 12/1/07

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive